German surrender in Norway

Discussions on WW2 in Western Europe & the Atlantic.
Stephan

Re: Re:

Post by Stephan » 17 Nov 2016, 17:24

What about the german army (in much waffen-ss mountain infantry - GebirsJäger) whom retreated from Finland, and whom earlier fought together with the fins againt soviet in the near Murmansk region? After the Finland switched sides [or rather, ceased fire, but promised to take care of the germans inside Finland, if they didnt wanted to surrender. The german forces didnt get long enough respite to retreat voluntarily], they retreated up through the north Finland during heavy fights and burning the land, into Norway - where they were still pursuited, first by the fins while in Finland, later by the soviets. The soviets thus holding the northest of Norway for a while - btw helping the civilian norway people to survive because everything was burned down by the retreating Gebirsjäger....

These Gebirsjäger come up to Norway, and I suppose most met the end of the war there?

I suspect they arent counted in the numbers here above, as these sounds as the normal garrison of Norway.[/quote]
The book "Black Edelweiss" deals with that episode. The author, a machine gunner in the Reinhard Heidrich regiment of the 6th Waffen SS Division, retreated from Finland into Norway, and then was shipped back to Germany. His unit was engaged in combat for the last time against US forces in the Ruhr Valley area, where he was taken prisoner.

Pat
I tx for the answer! So they were shipped further on, to new battles.

Nice to see there are more whom had read about the same scenario. :)

Bergen

Re: German surrender in Norway

Post by Bergen » 03 Feb 2017, 22:30

nicholai wrote:
mcdonaldsmanea wrote:My ex Father in Law (now deceased) told me that the RAF (in which he served) were awarded the 'honour' of accepting the German surrender in Norway.

There were 2 aeroplanes carrying various dignitaries, the first of which (with the most senior dignitaries) crashed on approach killing all one board. This left the second aeroplane containing lower ranking personnel who took the surrender and were subsequently feted by the Norwegians.

Fact or fiction? He was fond of telling a good tale, with embellishments.

I would appreciate if some light can be shone on the matter.

mcd
My Dad was in the RAF during the war and was at the liberation of Norway

He was typical of his time and spoke little of his time in service, but his story goes (from my auntie) that he was the first to land in Norway, getting there before those who were intended. He flew on transport planes at the time and was a radio operator.

I would be interested to hear if anyone has further information on the event. Apparently it appeared on newsreel over here in England.
You will find links to different sources about this incident in this thread.
Also a picture of the plane etc...

https://forum.gaijinent.com/index.php?/ ... 45/&page=4

http://s763.photobucket.com/user/kavorl ... ort=3&o=49

Kingfish

Post by Kingfish » 04 Feb 2017, 01:56

I have a beat-up issue of 'After the Battle' magazine which covers the German surrender and King Hakon's return.

It describes the first allied delegation (apart from the Norwegian underground army) to have direct discussions with the Germans arrived in the afternoon of May 8th via a Sunderland flying boat into Oslo harbor.

The four officers aboard conveyed the terms of surrender and by midnight the deal was sealed. No mention of another flight or crash.
The gods do not deduct from a man's allotted span the hours spent in fishing.
~Babylonian Proverb

NCondron

Post by NCondron » 12 Aug 2019, 15:59

nicholai wrote:
12 Sep 2016, 23:17
mcdonaldsmanea wrote:My ex Father in Law (now deceased) told me that the RAF (in which he served) were awarded the 'honour' of accepting the German surrender in Norway.

There were 2 aeroplanes carrying various dignitaries, the first of which (with the most senior dignitaries) crashed on approach killing all one board. This left the second aeroplane containing lower ranking personnel who took the surrender and were subsequently feted by the Norwegians.

Fact or fiction? He was fond of telling a good tale, with embellishments.

I would appreciate if some light can be shone on the matter.

mcd
My Dad was in the RAF during the war and was at the liberation of Norway

He was typical of his time and spoke little of his time in service, but his story goes (from my auntie) that he was the first to land in Norway, getting there before those who were intended. He flew on transport planes at the time and was a radio operator.

I would be interested to hear if anyone has further information on the event. Apparently it appeared on newsreel over here in England.
Hi,

My dad was on the first plane in. The second plane could not land due to fog. My father was a Padre at the time and as one of the officers he got to sign the surrender document. I do not have a copy of the document but would be very interested in getting one if anybody can help.

Thanks
Neil

Polar bear

Post by Polar bear » 31 Aug 2019, 00:47

hi,

the last German surrender in the state of Norway took place on September 6, 1945, at Nordaustlandet (Svalbard)
https://www.landmarkscout.com/the-last- ... surrender/

This was the last surrender of a german unit (11 soldiers and civilians) of the Second World War, four months after VE- and just two weeks before VJ-Day

greetings, the pb
Peace hath her victories no less renowned than War
(John Milton, the poet, in a letter to the Lord General Cromwell, May 1652)

Return to “WW2 in Western Europe & the Atlantic”