Soviet air raid on Livadia july1942

Discussions on WW2 in Eastern Europe.
teg

Soviet air raid on Livadia july1942

Post by teg » 23 Jul 2015, 10:58

Does the german archives contain any information on the Soviet air raid on Livadia palace (Crimea) in july 1942?

GregSingh

Re: Soviet air raid on Livadia july1942

Post by GregSingh » 23 Jul 2015, 13:37

Not sure about archives, but Manstein mentioned it in Lost Victories.

James A Pratt III

Post by James A Pratt III » 06 Aug 2015, 01:29

The raid is mentioned in Black Cross Red Star volume 2. It was bombed because the Soviets heard there was going to be a party there by the Germans to celebrate the fall of Sevastopol. The book mentions killing a number of drivers outside. It appears no real damage was done to the Palace itself because this is where the Yalta conference was held.
Note Livadia is not that big as palaces go and in that section of the coastline there are a number of other Palaces and sanitariums. I would say finding it in the dark would be difficult if not impossible.

James A Pratt III

Post by James A Pratt III » 12 Aug 2015, 22:35

Looking up Livadia Palace on wiki it does mention Manstein's promotion to GFM ceremony but no bombing raid and mentions Lost Victories as a source. The English language copy of Lost Victories that I have doesn't mention this ceremony.

GregSingh

Post by GregSingh » 13 Aug 2015, 01:04

Google translation from the Chapter 9 "Crimean campaign" - right before subchapter "Accommodation in Romania":

Once our task was completed in such victory, I felt an inner need to say a word of thanks to my comrades. I have not had the opportunity to see all of them, to shake their hand. So I asked, at least, all the commanders, down to battalion commanders, and all the officers, non-commissioned officers and privates who had the Knight's Cross or the Golden German Cross to gather in the park of the former royal palace at Livadia. Initially, we paid tribute to comrades who gave their lives to pave the way for us to win. [..] In conclusion, we all gathered for a modest dinner, which, however, was not entirely peaceful. Several Soviet aircraft, flown from the Caucasus, treated us with bombs; fortunately, there were no casualties.

Return to “WW2 in Eastern Europe”