The battle for Memel

Discussions on WW2 in Eastern Europe.
michalst

Post by michalst » 15 Oct 2007, 15:58

ok, thanks! looking forward to your post (if you find anything).

Jan-Hendrik

Post by Jan-Hendrik » 26 Oct 2007, 13:28

Still nothing real on the subordinated units of DivStab z.b.V. 607 :roll:

But now I can offer a report of II./AR GD on the battle of the 10th October 1944 :wink:

Jan-Hendrik

chekisti
Banned

Post by chekisti » 06 Dec 2007, 23:35

Good work Masybach.
Do you have any information on the 1945 Battle of Festung Koenigsberg? (garrison, fortifications, battle narrative?)

Valentas

Re: The battle for Memel

Post by Valentas » 08 Jan 2010, 15:30

Hi
I am from Klaipėda war history club. Klaipėda used to be known as Memel. We are working on a project called „Memel defence reconstruction“ and now we gathering all available information about Memel‘s defence in 1944-1945. We have gathered a lot of information from Soviet soldiers memories and other sources, but we need more specific details to have a big picture.
I have found a lot of useful information in this topic to our project, but I would love to get more . I would appreciate, if someone could provide any original sources of information on siege of Memel. Basically, any information on the topic is appreciated to contact me.
Email: [email protected]
Best regards Valentas

Anglian22

Post by Anglian22 » 09 Feb 2010, 16:20

Hi Valentas,
I hope to come to Klaipeda sometime this year to have a look at the area where Grossdeutschland division fought. Are there any museums about the war or trenches or bunkers surviving?

jonass

Post by jonass » 02 Mar 2010, 16:36

Anglian22 wrote:Hi Valentas,
I hope to come to Klaipeda sometime this year to have a look at the area where Grossdeutschland division fought. Are there any museums about the war or trenches or bunkers surviving?
Actualy there are no war museums in Klaipeda, but we have draged all the stuff we found near the bunkers or in tranches to one place-bunker. We have such a plans to establish smth like little museum there. Now about the bunkers-yes, there are lot of them (about 8 bunkers), also there are enough tranches (but not in that location GD have fought) and civil shelters.

In any case you are always welcom in Klaipėda. But please, let us know about your travel and maybe we could show you smth.

Best regards.
Jonas (form the same war history club as Valentas)

Valentas

Post by Valentas » 02 Mar 2010, 18:28

Anglian22 wrote:Hi Valentas,
Hi Anglian 22
Well I have to admit that I am really surprised that anyone has answered on this thread, I thought its dead for sure.
In fact in area around nowadays Klaipėda (Memel) is full of trenches, former strong points, with whole complex of field fortifications, in some places you still can find remains of barbwire or even sandbags.
Furthermore, we have remaining 8 anti-aircraft defense bunkers. In one of the coast artilery and AA bunker complex we have a small exposition of ww2 items. By the way we even have found the barrel of Flak cannon that was buried near the complex . Here is some photos from Klaipeda's fortification. Sadly but we don't have much of them.

[url=hhttp://www.fortifikacija.lt/wp-content/gallery ... _0148.jpg/]Image[/url]

Considering the fun activities, we are reconstructing 500th Fallschirmjager batalion, you can find photos of us here: http://www.memelio.kolektyvas.lt/500_ss ... index.html
Looking forward in to seeing you in Klaipeda
Valentas

Anglian22

Post by Anglian22 » 28 Mar 2010, 23:38

Hi Valentas and Jonas!
Thank you both for your messages. I very much look forward to seeing the bunkers and trenches. The Falschirmjagers look good too!
I am not sure when I will be able to come - I will be in Latvia in May and we had hoped to be able to hire a car and come to visit for two days, but it depends on how much time we need in Riga (my wife is from Riga and her family are still there).
I will be in touch before I come.
Many thanks!

LSGT WALTER KAVANAUGH. CDN

Post by LSGT WALTER KAVANAUGH. CDN » 07 Feb 2016, 15:14

Has anyone read the book The Forgotten Soldier about frenchman Guy Sajer who ends up fighting in the GROSS DEUTSCHLAND div. and after years of non-stop fighting in Russia,seeing the front collapse all around him time and time and time again!!! All while being swept along with the RED Tide, and ends up defending the perimeter at Memel???
In my humble opinion (that's done an awful lot of reading personal accounts of World War 2) this is far and away the greatest war account written!
I literally have read it cover to cover at least 25 times, and each time I still find myself imagining being one the anomyous men with them over and over again, crouching in the same hole as Sajer and Hal's bearing silent witness too their plight........
No other War account book i've ever read (and there's hundreds!) comes close to getting your heart pumping, and making you feel like you're the number two man on Wiener's "FM" time and again.
There are 558 pages, and it's so engrossing a book that killing an hours time reading will seem like 5 minutes!

FIND A COPY!!!!!!!!

LSGT WALTER KAVANAUGH. CDN

forgotten soldier book guy sajer

Post by LSGT WALTER KAVANAUGH. CDN » 07 Feb 2016, 15:15

Has anyone read the book The Forgotten Soldier about frenchman Guy Sajer who ends up fighting in the GROSS DEUTSCHLAND div. and after years of non-stop fighting in Russia,seeing the front collapse all around him time and time and time again!!! All while being swept along with the RED Tide, and ends up defending the perimeter at Memel???
In my humble opinion (that's done an awful lot of reading personal accounts of World War 2) this is far and away the greatest war account written!
I literally have read it cover to cover at least 25 times, and each time I still find myself imagining being one the anomyous men with them over and over again, crouching in the same hole as Sajer and Hal's bearing silent witness too their plight........
No other War account book i've ever read (and there's hundreds!) comes close to getting your heart pumping, and making you feel like you're the number two man on Wiener's "FM" time and again.
There are 558 pages, and it's so engrossing a book that killing an hours time reading will seem like 5 minutes!

FIND A COPY!!!!!!!!

Jan-Hendrik

Post by Jan-Hendrik » 01 Dec 2018, 14:38

Jan-Hendrik

Post by Jan-Hendrik » 05 Jan 2020, 10:43

Losses of 58.ID per 19.11.44

Jan-Hendrik

Return to “WW2 in Eastern Europe”