Vlasov's Capture: Captain von Schwerdtner's Special Mission

Discussions on WW2 in Eastern Europe.
Kim Sung

Vlasov's Capture: Captain von Schwerdtner's Special Mission

Post by Kim Sung » 25 Nov 2006, 07:40

http://forum.axishistory.com/viewtopic. ... 924#132924
Captivity

In the night July 12, 1942, Vlasov and a small group of soldiers came around old-believers village Tyhovezhi, and were hiding in the barn. And in the night, where the encircled were seeking shelter broke in… no, not the germans. It is unknown up to this day who those people were. According to one of the versions, those were self-governing partisans. According to the other – armed local civilians, headed by church elder, who decided to buy the recognition and trust of germans by the price of general’s stars. The same night, general Andrei Vlasov with his soldiers were handed over to regular german units. They say it, that the general was severely beaten before that. Take a note – by his own countrymen…

One of the red army soldiers who accompanied Vlasov later testified to SMERSH investigators - "When we were handed over to germans – they wanted to shoot us right on the spot without further talks. The general went in front and said - “Don’t shoot! I’m general Vlasov. My people are unarmed!” This is the whole story of “volunteer surrendering”.

After the annihilation of the 2nd Shocking Army, the Intelligence Chief of the 38th Army headquarter, Captain von Schertner was given a special mission. It was to capture General Vlasov.

* Image Source: Motofumi(小林源文)'s 'Unternehmen Zitadelle' (ツィタデレ作戦)

The Collapse of the 2nd Shocking Army (2-ая Ударная Армия)

Forest of Death

Tracing Vlasov

Mission accomplished!

For capturing General Vlasov, Schertner and his men got huge sum of money and special leave to home.

1. Did Vlasov's captor Captain von Schertner survived the war?

2. Who were the informers who guided Captain von Schertner to Vlasov's hiding place?

3. In the above comic, the head of the Tyhovezhi village told Captain Schertner that he found a partisan who was accompanied by a woman. Who is this woman? Is she a female soldier or Vlasov's sacretary?

Any more details on Vlasov's capture will be appreciated.
Last edited by Kim Sung on 30 Nov 2006, 03:59, edited 1 time in total.

Steve

Post by Steve » 29 Nov 2006, 13:52

Captain Strik-Strikfeldt in his book Against Hitler and Stalin merely says that "Vlasov laid down to sleep in a barn. Probably someone notified a German patrol. In any case he was tracked down and thus became a prisoner".

Jurgen Thorwald in his book The Illusion describes the capture of Vlassov the description seems to be based on a conversation between a Lt Durkenson and Captain Strik-Strikfeldt. It seems that Thorwald wrote the book with co-operation from people who wanted to vindicate certain elements in the German army. He sometimes gives word for word conversations that years after the war it would be impossible to remember without notes. As it is difficult to distinguish fact from half fact it spoils what could have been a very informative book.
"Finally on July 12th a message reached the 38th Army Corps in the Novgorod area to the effect that Vlasov had been shot by a sentinel the day before near Yam-Terezo. Captain Schwerdtner the Ic of the corps set out to identify the corpse. On the way he passed through the village of Tukhovechi. The Russian village head informed the interpreter that there was a high Soviet officer hiding in a barn near the village. The man was half starved and he had a woman with him. But Schwerdter first went to see the corpse. The dead man was, as it later turned out, Vlasov's chief of staff. Vlasov had covered the dying man with his own coat. On it's return journey the German group stopped again in Tukhovechi and were reminded of the Russian officer and woman. The door of the barn was battered in and there was Vlasov at the end of his strength and hardly able to stand. He gave up all pretence saying "don't shoot I am General Vlasov" and he produced papers he had not destroyed." The woman was Marya Voronova his cook.

Kim Sung

Post by Kim Sung » 30 Nov 2006, 02:40

Thank you for your detailed information, Steve!

Kim Sung

Post by Kim Sung » 20 Dec 2006, 17:15

One of my initial questions are not answered yet. Did Vlasov's captor Captain von Schwerdtner survived the war?

One more question: Did Marya Voronova survive the war?

Konstantin175

Post by Konstantin175 » 03 Jan 2007, 02:21

Hello!

Maria Voronova has gone through war. The report of interrogation of Maria Voronovoj was kept and is published:

" FROM INDICATIONS M.I. Voronova
September, 21, 1945
Voronova Maria Ignat'evna, 1909 of birth, has arrived from Berlin and has stopped on a residence in city of Baranovichi.
QUESTION. Tell, you know the former general - lieutenant of Red Army Vlasova?
the ANSWER. Yes, Vlasova Andrey Andreevicha, the former general - lieutenant of Red Army, I know since 1942 on 20-th, and then on 2-nd Shock army.
QUESTION. Under what circumstances you with Vlasov have got acquainted and what is known to you about his(its) capture by German armies?
the ANSWER. In 1942, approximately in February, I have acted(arrived) on service in 20-þ army as the civilian. Served in system of military trade as the chief - cook of 20-th army which general - lieutenant Vlasov Andrey Andreevich odered about.
In field conditions, approximately after it New - Petrovsk, I was transferred(translated) to work in a dining room of a military council of 20-th army and then have personally got acquainted with Vlasov.
In the beginning of March, 1942 Vlasov was caused to Moscow where has taken except for the direct subordinated structure and me as cooks. In view of purpose(assignment) Vlasov for the Volkhov front it(he) has left Moscow there, with it(him) I have left also, and subsequently it(he) was appointed the assistant to the commander 2-nd Shock army.
Being in 2-nd Shock army at a staff the chief - cook, I together with a staff of army appeared in an environment where also appeared and Vlasov.
Being in an environment, Vlasov among 30-40 person of staff workers tried to incorporate to parts of Red Army, but nothing it turned out. Wandering on a wood, we have incorporated to a management(manual) of one division which commander was Black, and us began already about 200 person.
Approximately in June, 1942, near Novgorod, Germans have found out us in a wood and have imposed fight after which Vlasov, I, the soldier of Cotov and driver Pogibko have escaped in a bog, went it(him) and have left to villages.
Pogibko with wounded soldier Cotov have gone to one villages, and we with Vlasov have gone to another.
When we came in villages, the name of her(it) I do not know, we came into one house where us have accepted for the guerrilla, local "self-defense" the house has surrounded, and us have arrested. Us have planted(put) in a collective-farm barn, and for other day there have arrived Germans, have showed(presented) Vlasov his(its) portrait cut out from the newspaper in the general form, and Vlasov were compelled to admit, that it(he) really general - lieutenant Vlasov. Before it(he) was recommended by the teacher - refugee.
Germans, having convinced, that they have caught general - lieutenant Vlasova, have planted(put) us in the machine and have brought on station Siverskaja, in a German staff. Here me have planted(put) in camp for captured,, taking place in a place Small Vyra, and Vlasov in two days have taken away to Germany...
The report from my words is written down truly and by me is read.
Voronova.
Has interrogated: the chief of 10-th branch of 2-nd department UNKGB Baranovichi area major Vinokurov ".

This report is published in the book: Êîíÿåâ Í.Ì. Âëàñîâ. Äâà ëèöà ãåíåðàëà — Ì.: Âå÷å, 2003.. The book is in an electronic kind on a site: http://militera.lib.ru/bio/konyaev_nm/index.html

And when this was published comics? During war? Who his(its) author? You could not inform me the maintenance(contents) of it comics in English?
Whether are available in comics and other figures?

Kim Sung

Post by Kim Sung » 03 Jan 2007, 13:40

Konstantin175 wrote:And when this was published comics? During war? Who his(its) author? You could not inform me the maintenance(contents) of it comics in English?
These images are from Kobayashi Motofumi(小林源文)'s 'Unternehmen Zitadelle' (ツィタデレ作戦). He is the most famous war comic creator in the world. As far as I know, only one of his works was translated into English.

Konstantin175

Post by Konstantin175 » 03 Jan 2007, 22:06

Kim Sung wrote:
Konstantin175 wrote:And when this was published comics? During war? Who his(its) author? You could not inform me the maintenance(contents) of it comics in English?
These images are from Kobayashi Motofumi(小林源文)'s 'Unternehmen Zitadelle' (ツィタデレ作戦). He is the most famous war comic creator in the world. As far as I know, only one of his works was translated into English.
It is modern war comic creator? Or it(he) drew within WW2?
And you can not translate to English his(its) this work about Vlasov?

Kim Sung

Post by Kim Sung » 04 Jan 2007, 04:11

Konstantin175 wrote:It is modern war comic creator? Or it(he) drew within WW2?
Yes, he is currently the most famous war comic creator in the world. He often depicts the Nazis as heroes. War comics and war arts are very popular in today's Japan. There are hundreds of war comic creators in Japan.

Konstantin175 wrote: And you can not translate to English his(its) this work about Vlasov?
It has too much content to be translated.

Konstantin175

Post by Konstantin175 » 04 Jan 2007, 19:40

Can, then, you will send me on e-mail a picture where it is represented only Vlasov?

Kim Sung

Post by Kim Sung » 05 Jan 2007, 11:07

Konstantin175 wrote:Can, then, you will send me on e-mail a picture where it is represented only Vlasov?
I don't understand what you mean.

Konstantin175

Post by Konstantin175 » 09 Jan 2007, 14:45

Kim Sung wrote:
Konstantin175 wrote:Can, then, you will send me on e-mail a picture where it is represented only Vlasov?
I don't understand what you mean.
I would like to receive by e-mail the text of translation into the English language comiks about Vlasov. Whether you can transfer the text to the English language and send me?

Kim Sung

Post by Kim Sung » 10 Jan 2007, 09:53

Konstantin175 wrote:I would like to receive by e-mail the text of translation into the English language comiks about Vlasov. Whether you can transfer the text to the English language and send me?
OK, I'll send them through PM. But it'll take some time. Wait for the time being.

Konstantin175

Post by Konstantin175 » 13 Jan 2007, 20:33

Kim Sung wrote:
Konstantin175 wrote:I'll send them through PM. But it'll take some time. Wait for the time being.
OK,

You will send on my electronic address?

[email protected]

Return to “WW2 in Eastern Europe”