Barbarossa in Google Earth

Discussions on WW2 in Eastern Europe.
robertm

Barbarossa in Google Earth

Post by robertm » 12 Apr 2011, 14:59

I have spent some time the last year making a Google Earth kmz-file with info about Soviet infrastructure and Operation Barbarossa. It is the front line at different dates, the movement of German Panzer Divisions and positions of different units at different times, the rail net, industries etc.
Most important is perhaps a number of operational and topographical maps, aligned to fit the satellite images. Mainly it is the Soviet operational maps that Armchair General has published (http://www.armchairgeneral.com/rkkaww2/index.htm) and some of the topographical maps from the late forties from the Perry-Castaneda map collection (http://www.lib.utexas.edu/maps/ams/eastern_europe/)

Now I thought that there might be others interested in this data. In that case I can share the file. It is rather big (70 MBytes and growing) but that can be solved. It is quite nice to use the functions of Google Earth to be able to zoom in on different sectors. It gives better overview and helps with understanding the terrain etc.

Most fun (for me at least) would be if you could contribute to it. It is no end to all the thing that could be added. It would also be nice if there is an KMZ-hacker out there somewhere that could improve presentation and organization of the data.

/Robert M

sutteraa

Re: Barbarossa in Google Earth

Post by sutteraa » 05 Dec 2013, 15:14

Robert,
I would be very interested in your KMZ file if you would share it. Maybe by Dropbox?
thanks
Alasdair Sutter

robertm

Post by robertm » 05 Dec 2013, 17:44

Yes sure! It is about 75MB so a dropbox would be fine. In fact I'm not sure if the maps are in the kmz-file or if I have to deliver them separately. But that should be pretty obvious when you open the kmz.

Regards
Robert Mårtensson

sutteraa

Post by sutteraa » 05 Dec 2013, 19:12

Robert,
if you have Dropbox (free) you can send me a link to that file and I'll download it. My email is: [email protected]
To set up a shared link, right-click a file or folder within the Dropbox folder and select Dropbox>Share link. A Web page will come up in your browser, with a dialog box for inviting people via email. I recommend you simply click the Get link button in the lower-right corner, then use your preferred email program.

I know how to send you files but haven't tried it the other way but it should work. Appreciate it - I worked in Moscow and have an interest in GIS and Barbarossa - I always thought that day-by day movement maps on GE would be fantastic. There is a free software CartoDB that allows a Torque motion lay of data but it only works with points (lat, long, name, date: imported from Excel) as yet - would be great if lines and polygons also could be displayed.

Jumin121

Post by Jumin121 » 23 Jan 2014, 17:25

just wondering are you guys working on this project still, i cant really contribute but i would absolutely love to obtain day by day maps
- Andrew

robertm

Post by robertm » 27 Jan 2014, 10:01

No, not really. I was hoping for some feedback from sutteraa if all info was available, but I haven't heard anything.
Anyway it is nothing like a day by day account of the Eastern Front - that would be a daunting task indeed. No, it was more a way to tie readily available data about front-lines etc on the eastern front with various geographical resources (Google Earth maps and topographical maps).

Jumin121

Post by Jumin121 » 04 Feb 2014, 16:16

ohh ok, i misread the posts i guess, haha i still want to see what you guys come up with.
- Andrew

robertm

Post by robertm » 04 Feb 2014, 18:28

You can get the stuff if you want, Andrew. Just give me your email address and I'll give you a drop-box-link.

hms2011

Post by hms2011 » 21 Mar 2014, 22:17

robertm wrote:You can get the stuff if you want, Andrew. Just give me your email address and I'll give you a drop-box-link.
Could you send the link to [email protected] as well?

I would greatly appreciate it.

robertm

Post by robertm » 25 Mar 2014, 19:13

A link is sent. Please tell me if there are troubles.

blue.bear

Post by blue.bear » 29 May 2014, 12:57

If it's still possible please sent this link on [email protected] Thanks in advance.

Return to “WW2 in Eastern Europe”