German–Soviet military parade in Brest-Litovsk

Discussions on WW2 in Eastern Europe.
Henri Winkelman

German–Soviet military parade in Brest-Litovsk

Post by Henri Winkelman » 11 Feb 2017, 17:05

Hello guys,

I came across an interesting subject, the German-Soviet military parade in Brest-Litovsk, but I couldn't find much information about it. What surprised me after looking at the pictures of this parade was the amical atmosphere between Soviets and Germans.

As far as I know, Russian and German propaganda had proposed a lot of hatred towards each other. What explains this friendlyness between two 'arch enemies'? From several sources I know that Guderian was not very happy about the German withdrawal from Brest-Litovsk but he looks very bright and happy on the photographs.

These pictures make me wonder if the German-Soviet hate was really that big or that the story is simply overdone after the war.

Greetings,

Henri
Last edited by Henri Winkelman on 12 Feb 2017, 15:53, edited 1 time in total.

Art
Forum Staff

Re: German–Soviet military parade in Brest-Litovsk

Post by Art » 12 Feb 2017, 15:09

Formally it wasn't a parade but a ceremony of switching control over the city of Brest. The German troops withdrew, the Soviet entered.
From several sources I know that Guderian was not very happy about the German withdrawal from Brest-Litovsk but he looks very bright and happy on the photographs.
Halder at another occasion called the decision to withdraw behind the demarcation line "an infamy of political leadership" which demonstrates hidden discontent in military. I guess, the festive ceremony was supposed to sweeten the pill for them among other things.
As for smiles, people on the photo were professional military. If they've got orders to fight each others, they would do that in a minute. The German propaganda in their coverage of the ceremony pursued its own goals of bringing a certain message for the public, of course.

Henri Winkelman

Post by Henri Winkelman » 12 Feb 2017, 15:53

Art wrote:Formally it wasn't a parade but a ceremony of switching control over the city of Brest. The German troops withdrew, the Soviet entered.

Halder at another occasion called the decision to withdraw behind the demarcation line "an infamy of political leadership" which demonstrates hidden discontent in military. I guess, the festive ceremony was supposed to sweeten the pill for them among other things.
I know, Germans were not really happy about the withdrawal. So you would expect sad faces.
As for smiles, people on the photo were professional military. If they've got orders to fight each others, they would do that in a minute. The German propaganda in their coverage of the ceremony pursued its own goals of bringing a certain message for the public, of course.
The second photograph is a still frame of a German propaganda film. (minute: 0:17)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tfzJEXZWPfE

I don't think Guderian is well aware of the camera here. Mauritz von Wiktorin, his staff officer on the left, looks very sad though. Well, I don't want to draw any conclusians, but I just found it striking.

Maybe Guderian was just a "happy" and humored person. ;)

michael mills

Post by michael mills » 19 Mar 2017, 04:00

What surprised me after looking at the pictures of this parade was the amical atmosphere between Soviets and Germans.
Especially as the Red Army commander standing to Guderian's left was a Jew! Semen Moiseevich Krivoshein.

Return to “WW2 in Eastern Europe”