Defeat of Operation Mars

Discussions on WW2 in Eastern Europe.
Erik k.

Post by Erik k. » 27 Jul 2005, 18:07

Kunikov,
I'm talking about October and November
I am sorry but only the 72 ID was brought to the Rzhev area (subzow) in september.
No other troops arrived in oktober. 328 ID was even pulled out of the area in oktober.

in november 2 Lwfd, 9 pz 12pz, 19pz,20pz and 253id arrived and 337 in december.

regards,

erik

Andreas

Post by Andreas » 27 Jul 2005, 18:22

Erik

Don't forget SS-KD which had been newly raised in September.

Grossdeutschland arrived on 25th August as reserve for 9. Armee. A short overview of its actions can be found at Michael Dorosh's site: http://members.shaw.ca/grossdeutschland/

All the best

Andreas

Kunikov

Post by Kunikov » 27 Jul 2005, 20:14

Can we compare these 9, give or take a division, that arrived in Army Group Center's area to how many arrived in October and November to Army Group B in the South?

Alk

Semantics...

Post by Alk » 28 Jul 2005, 08:28

Qvist,

I can see I will have to be more careful with my language when debating you in the future.

Perhaps "outstanding divisions" was an overstatement of the 6th army. Let me instead say "full strength" divisions. The fact remains that AGS was the only portion of the Eastern Front that had it's divisions brought up to almost full material strength in anticipation of Operation Blau. Since no major offensives were to be carried out by AGN and AGC, they received correspondingly fewer reinforcements and in many cases the divisions were well below establishment in the summer of 1942. This was not the case with the 6th army.

As far as hastily assembled..... You are taking that term out of context, or at least not in the way I intended it. Formations like the 6th Panzer were completely up to strength and carefully reassembled in France (actually it was overstrength, although it's 150 Pz III's suffered greatly against T34s on the Aksai river). But they were "hastily assembled" and quickly thrown into battle upon arriving in the East and therefore wasted their strength by being given tasks beyond their means. The divisions thrown into the battle along the Chir are also examples of this. Several were completely destroyed in an attempt to stop greatly superior Russian forces (this was a sad necessity in order to prevent the Russians from quickly advancing on Rostov).

Only when Manstein was allowed to give ground and "carefully assemble" divisions for his counterstroke that recaptured Kharkov, were the Germans really effective at this time in the South.

Finally, I stated there were enough divisions to "barely" hold the tide in 1943. That is borne out by what transpired along those fronts. There were no substantial front collapses by either AGN or AGC in 1943. Orel fell in the summer and Smolensk in the fall, but the Army groups gave ground grudgingly and at an enormous cost in casualties to the Red Army. AGN gave up very little ground until January 1944. The losses outlined by Glantz in "The Battle of Leningrad" show how greatly the Russians suffered around Mga without having almost anything to show for their efforts in 1943...in spite of fighting a German Army that was very near the breaking point in each of the battles south of Lake Ladoga.

Could these army groups have used more divisions? Of course they could, especially if they ever hoped to regain the offensive initiative. But with the new German committment into Italy and their defensive requirements in Yugoslavia, France and Norway, these divisions were simply not available. Still they managed to scrape by with what they had, unlike the Manstein after Kursk, who could do little more than throw temporary roadblocks in front of the surging Russians (with an odd victory like the one at Zhitomir).

Cheers...

Qvist

Post by Qvist » 28 Jul 2005, 12:16

Hi Alk
Qvist,

I can see I will have to be more careful with my language when debating you in the future.
Oh well, precision is always a good thing. But I am nevertheless sorry if I have interpreted the drift of your argument wrongly.
Perhaps "outstanding divisions" was an overstatement of the 6th army. Let me instead say "full strength" divisions. The fact remains that AGS was the only portion of the Eastern Front that had it's divisions brought up to almost full material strength in anticipation of Operation Blau. Since no major offensives were to be carried out by AGN and AGC, they received correspondingly fewer reinforcements and in many cases the divisions were well below establishment in the summer of 1942. This was not the case with the 6th army.
Right. That is indeed a different issue. But unlike what would have been the case if the AOK 6 divisions were of a particularly high calibre, this factor is already reflected in the loss figures. Thus it does not affect the issue of the strength of the Ostheer growing despite the stalingrad losses. As I understood your argument, it was that the Stalingrad losses were somehow more critical than the numbers alone suggest. And, the divisions who were full strength in June were no longer any such thing in September or November, to say nothing of February, when they were lost.
As far as hastily assembled..... You are taking that term out of context, or at least not in the way I intended it. Formations like the 6th Panzer were completely up to strength and carefully reassembled in France (actually it was overstrength, although it's 150 Pz III's suffered greatly against T34s on the Aksai river). But they were "hastily assembled" and quickly thrown into battle upon arriving in the East and therefore wasted their strength by being given tasks beyond their means. The divisions thrown into the battle along the Chir are also examples of this. Several were completely destroyed in an attempt to stop greatly superior Russian forces (this was a sad necessity in order to prevent the Russians from quickly advancing on Rostov).

Yes, in some cases this happened. But most of the (on a quick count) 32 German divisions that arrived in the East during the first six months of 1943 (of whom 25 in Jan-March) were not committed in this manner. To the extent that they were unwisely uncommitted and suffered corresponding losses, this is already reflected in the loss figures. Incidentally, of these 32, only five were LW Field divisions (most of the LW divisions arived in the East already in late 1942). In 1st quarter 43 alone, 16 normal infantry divisions and four panzer divisions arrived in the East. Consequently, even if you keep the Lw divisions out of the equation, a number of (full-strength!) divisions arrived during this period that in themselves almost replaced the divisions being lost in Stalingrad (who by this time certainly no longer were anyting close to full strength, and would not have been even if they had won the battle of the city). Additionally, there was a fairly steady stream of replacements. What really allowed the Ostheer to not only fully recover but to exceed its former strength was however the period April-june, when very large numbers of replacements arrived together with (again, on a quick count) eight divisions, while very few losses were incurred (this being by far the most quiet period of the whole war in the East).
Only when Manstein was allowed to give ground and "carefully assemble" divisions for his counterstroke that recaptured Kharkov, were the Germans really effective at this time in the South.
Yes, but this is a different issue from the development of German strength.
Finally, I stated there were enough divisions to "barely" hold the tide in 1943. That is borne out by what transpired along those fronts. There were no substantial front collapses by either AGN or AGC in 1943. Orel fell in the summer and Smolensk in the fall, but the Army groups gave ground grudgingly and at an enormous cost in casualties to the Red Army. AGN gave up very little ground until January 1944. The losses outlined by Glantz in "The Battle of Leningrad" show how greatly the Russians suffered around Mga without having almost anything to show for their efforts in 1943...in spite of fighting a German Army that was very near the breaking point in each of the battles south of Lake Ladoga.

Could these army groups have used more divisions? Of course they could, especially if they ever hoped to regain the offensive initiative. But with the new German committment into Italy and their defensive requirements in Yugoslavia, France and Norway, these divisions were simply not available. Still they managed to scrape by with what they had, unlike the Manstein after Kursk, who could do little more than throw temporary roadblocks in front of the surging Russians (with an odd victory like the one at Zhitomir).
Yes, but this basically is just to say that the German Army was not large enough or strong enough to achieve its tasks from 1943 on. I do not disagree with this, but again, why is Stalingrad in particular the critical point in this development, the specific occurrence the Germans could not afford? Why not the even greater losses the Ostheer suffered in the summer of 1941? Or in the summer of 1943? Or the 29 divisions disbanded or destroyed in late 1943, if we are to be caught up in the number of divisions, which I think your argument here is to an excessive degree - it is in many ways a deceptive measure of strength. :wink: I fail to see the significance in this context of where Soviet advances in 1943 occurred? The Germans continually distributed and redistributed their forces among different sectors of the front as needed, and except in the very short term, the stalingrad losses affected the northern and central sectors of the front as much as the southern. The profile of soviet advances naturally reflect primarily where the Red Army chose to deploy its resources.

Just to be clear, the main point here isn’t that the Stalingrad losses weren’t a major blow - they clearly were. The points are rather a) that the same could with equal or greater justification be said of several other periods, b) that the consequences of those losses must ewually take into consideration the ability to replace them, which in this period happened to be unusually great, c) that if we are looking for the point at which the germans suffered losses they could not replace, this point is very clearly not the stalingrad period, but rather half a year later and most of all, d) that no individual battle, Stalingrad included, accounted for more than a very limited part of the German losses in any given year, that there is no single dramatic occurence to which can be ascribed a critical importance in blooding German strength and that the erosion of German strength was a broad, steady affair and the result of a large number of great and small actions covering the whole front, the sum of which places even a battle such as Stalingrad in a position of relatively limited significance.

cheers

Alk

Good counterpoints...

Post by Alk » 29 Jul 2005, 04:58

Your arguments are convincing and articulate.

I knew that a large number of divisions were moved East in 1943 and in sheer numbers were slightly larger in 1943 than in 1942, in spite of the loss of the divisions in the Stalingrad cauldron. Also German industry produced roughly double the number of heavy weapons in 1943 as opposed to 1942. However, while you say that the Stalingrad divisions were not "outstanding", I'm wondering how you would term these new arrivals, many of which were new formations without considerable combat experience?

Part of the issue with these new divisions is that, as Manstein and numerous others convincingly argue, they were formed to a large extent by starving exisitng divisions of replacement men and material. Since combat troops suffer the most attrition, many divisions were tail heavy, while their fighting head was very small. It would have been much better in almost everyone's opinion other than Hitler, Goring and Himler (the later two having their own personal armies) to concentrate on having a smaller number of experienced full strength divisions, that new recruits could be integrated into, rather than a larger number of divisions of which only a relatively small percentage were completely fit for combat. These tended to consume resources and space on vital road arteries, while having only limited combat power.

I understand that the divisions trapped in Stalingrad were somewhat weakened by November, but they still numbered almost 300,000 troops. The complete loss of such an experienced group of soldiers is not easy to overcome. The other aspect of Stalingrad is the loss of 3 allied armies. Neither the Italians, the Hungarians or the Romanians were ever to play a significant part in fighting in the East after this. As the collapse of these armies had a great deal to do with Germany's inability to rescue the 6th army, their loss should arguably be added to the German tally. I understand that they were on the whole not reliable troops, but the certainly could have been used for partisan warfare or to adequately man narrow divisional frontages if their anti-tank weaponry would have upgraded.

In the final analysis, arguing whether the loss of the Stalingrad divisions was a death blow is a moot point. Hitler would have continued to overextent his own forces and underestimate his enemy until another Stalingrad would have inevitably occurred.

Manstein's argument that in 1943 it would have still been possible to battle the Russians to a stalemate if German commanders (ie Manstein in this case) would have been given the operational freedom to manuever their troops in way they saw fit may have some merit.
I however think that by this time the rot had set into the German army to the extent that they were past the point of acheiving brilliant victories. Too many of their best soldiers were dead, the result to a large extent of the winter lunge towards Moscow and ill advised splitting of Army Group A & B and the strategic disaster that this led to. Too many of their best new recruits were now being channeled into SS divisions instead of becoming NCOs or junior offiicers in existing divisions. Or luftwaffe men with excellent physical qualities (young physcially fit, educated) were being almost completely wasted by being formed into Luftwaffe field divisions. Experienced panzer divisions were at times deprived of replacement tanks so that new, inexperienced formations could be created, which inevitably suffered heavy casualties as they became acclamated to the realities of warfare on the Eastern Front.

There may have been the possibility of achieving more in 1943 in spite of the setbacks the previous 2 winters. However, Hitler's policies insured this would not be the case.

Discussing these policies which were in many cases in opposition to German flexible defense-in-depth doctrine, his conviction that his "Will" would be the deciding factor in East , and his micromanaging of most aspects of Eastern Front warfare, are the subject for another thread, or a possibly a number of books.

I still remember Von Kluge's caustic comment to Manstein that he had to ask Hitler's permission to move the guard from in front of his tent. That was an exaggeration of the amount of meddling Hitler was doing with every decision made on the Eastern Front, but not much of one.

JonS

Re: Good counterpoints...

Post by JonS » 29 Jul 2005, 05:21

Alk wrote:Part of the issue with these new divisions is that, as Manstein and numerous others convincingly argue, they were formed to a large extent by starving exisitng divisions of replacement men and material. Since combat troops suffer the most attrition, many divisions were tail heavy, while their fighting head was very small. It would have been much better in almost everyone's opinion other than Hitler, Goring and Himler (the later two having their own personal armies) to concentrate on having a smaller number of experienced full strength divisions, that new recruits could be integrated into, rather than a larger number of divisions of which only a relatively small percentage were completely fit for combat. These tended to consume resources and space on vital road arteries, while having only limited combat power.
While I generally agree with you, one thing to consider is that a 'leaner' (read: attrited badly) division generates far more firepower per man than one at full strength. Basically, what happens is that all the rifles get discarded and everyone ends up carrying a MG-42. Until the MGs and other support weapons (mortars, IGs, arty, etc) start running short of men - which takes quite a while - the overall FP of the div is hardly effected. (This is part of the reason the Germans were able to hold so long in fornt of Moscow in '41/'42 and in Normandy in '44, for example)

The same effect occurred when whole bns were stripped out of the standard div org: the same amount of regimental and divisional assets now had to support fewer bns, meaning each bn got proportionately more support.

Of course, this really only matters defensively. Offensively a div needs to have more warm bodies to push forward. So, one could say that Hitlers policy was quite correct - starve defensive formations, and let them rely on their higher FP/man to hold the line, while fresh, full-strength units take the offensive.

*shrug* Don't know that I agree with that approach, but it does have a certain logic, beyond "Himmler and Goering wanted larger personal armies".

Regards
JonS

Qvist

Post by Qvist » 29 Jul 2005, 08:01

Hi Alk
I knew that a large number of divisions were moved East in 1943 and in sheer numbers were slightly larger in 1943 than in 1942, in spite of the loss of the divisions in the Stalingrad cauldron. Also German industry produced roughly double the number of heavy weapons in 1943 as opposed to 1942. However, while you say that the Stalingrad divisions were not "outstanding", I'm wondering how you would term these new arrivals, many of which were new formations without considerable combat experience?
I would say that they were essentially very similar in outlook to the divisions who arrived in the East in the winter and spring of 1942, and who constituted at least the bulk of the divisions lost in Stalingrad. The majority were in both cases 300-series infantry divisions, raised originally for less demanding duties and then upgraded for service in the East, supplemented by a smattering of experienced divisions that had been transferred to France for refreshement earlier in the campaign and now returned. For example, 15., 23., 106. and 167. ID, who had been on the EF until late spring the year before, and returned in the late winter 1943. 17.ID had left the East during the same period, and returned in late spring 1943. Also in early 42, some of the many divisions arriving were experienced units, but not to any greater degree than in the spring of 43. One important difference was the addition of the Luftwaffe Field divisions in late 1942 and early 1943. Another notable difference was that while the Panzer Divisions arriving in the east in early 1942 were all newly raised formations (22., 23., 24.PzD), the divisions arriving in early 1943 were all experienced (7.PzD, II-SS PzK). Also, in marked contrast to the spring of 42, no Panzer divisions were withdrawn from the East (in 42, 6., 7. and 10.PzD, plus the three SS divisions later in the year) - though of course, a number of Panzer Divisions were lost in Stalingrad.
I understand that the divisions trapped in Stalingrad were somewhat weakened by November, but they still numbered almost 300,000 troops. The complete loss of such an experienced group of soldiers is not easy to overcome. The other aspect of Stalingrad is the loss of 3 allied armies. Neither the Italians, the Hungarians or the Romanians were ever to play a significant part in fighting in the East after this. As the collapse of these armies had a great deal to do with Germany's inability to rescue the 6th army, their loss should arguably be added to the German tally. I understand that they were on the whole not reliable troops, but the certainly could have been used for partisan warfare or to adequately man narrow divisional frontages if their anti-tank weaponry would have upgraded.
No, of course, as said it was a major blow. But so was losing more than half a million experienced soldiers in June-September 1941, what? Granted, many of those returned after recuperation unlike the Stalingrad casualties, but they are nevertheless very much comparable. Both the Germans and their opponents had to overcome setbacks as bad or worse several times, and as bad as the Stalingrad debacle was for the Germans in terms of losses, it would be a considerable exaggeration to picture it as something that stands out particularly dramatically in the general picture of the German losses in the East. It was, for example, no more than roughly 20% of the German combat losses in 1943.

The allied losses, seen within the context of their respective war efforts, stands out much, much more dramatically - in both the Romanian, Hungarian and Italian case, the Stalingrad losses constitute a very major part of their overall losses through the war. This is not the case on the German side.
I however think that by this time the rot had set into the German army to the extent that they were past the point of acheiving brilliant victories. Too many of their best soldiers were dead, the result to a large extent of the winter lunge towards Moscow and ill advised splitting of Army Group A & B and the strategic disaster that this led to. Too many of their best new recruits were now being channeled into SS divisions instead of becoming NCOs or junior offiicers in existing divisions. Or luftwaffe men with excellent physical qualities (young physcially fit, educated) were being almost completely wasted by being formed into Luftwaffe field divisions. Experienced panzer divisions were at times deprived of replacement tanks so that new, inexperienced formations could be created, which inevitably suffered heavy casualties as they became acclamated to the realities of warfare on the Eastern Front.
There is something in all of this, but I also think these are all factors that tend to be overemphasised as well as exaggerated (I would not imply that you are doing this, and are not neccessarily arguing against you in the following). It seems to be well established that the quality of the replacements arriving by this time was not as high as previously, but sometimes people speak as if the Ostheer prior to Barbarossa consisted of a wholly different breed of men, so that any losses were more or less irreplacable by definition. The image of the pre-22 June men as inherently and neccessarily “the best” and their wanton demise before the gates of Moscow to be replaced by lesser men as a main explanation of why the tide turned in the East is one that I find intellectually unsatisfying, to put it gently. The SS siphoning off recruits, manpower being wasted in Luftwaffe divisions or too many new divisions being formed were all factors with an impact, but their impact are after all limited.

As far as I can understand, the explanation for the shift in initiative and what I agree was a state of affairs where there was no longer any real possibility for the Ostheer to succeed can most plausibly be sought not in any change in the German army, but rather in the development of the Red Army. The period from November 1942 to the start of the German summer offensive in 1943 can with justification be described as the period where the Red Army "came of age", in both quantitative and organisational terms. Strength- wise, this is the period when the Red army achieved the sort of force levels it would maintain through the rest of the war (with Fronts strengths of more than 6 million men), and it was also the period when it regained mobile offensive power in organisational terms with the introduction of the Tank Armies. By the summer of 1943, the Germans were facing an opponent that was muchstronger than he had been a year before, and with much more extensive capabilities. In my opinion, it seems more or less obvious to me that this had a far more fundamental impact upon the war in the East than any changes in the capabilities of the German army during the period.

Would they have done better with the sort of flexible defence advoctade by Manstein? No-one can tell today, though it seems perhaps unlikely that they could have fared much worse.

cheers

Qvist

Post by Qvist » 29 Jul 2005, 08:11

While I generally agree with you, one thing to consider is that a 'leaner' (read: attrited badly) division generates far more firepower per man than one at full strength. Basically, what happens is that all the rifles get discarded and everyone ends up carrying a MG-42. Until the MGs and other support weapons (mortars, IGs, arty, etc) start running short of men - which takes quite a while - the overall FP of the div is hardly effected. (This is part of the reason the Germans were able to hold so long in fornt of Moscow in '41/'42 and in Normandy in '44, for example)

The same effect occurred when whole bns were stripped out of the standard div org: the same amount of regimental and divisional assets now had to support fewer bns, meaning each bn got proportionately more support.

Of course, this really only matters defensively. Offensively a div needs to have more warm bodies to push forward. So, one could say that Hitlers policy was quite correct - starve defensive formations, and let them rely on their higher FP/man to hold the line, while fresh, full-strength units take the offensive.

*shrug* Don't know that I agree with that approach, but it does have a certain logic, beyond "Himmler and Goering wanted larger personal armies".
Hi Jon

The other side of that logic is however an increasingly irrational tooth-to-tail ratio and a steadily decreasing proportion of combat soldiers. And, as you note, a degradation in capabilities, since a seriously understrength unit is only capable of certain types of operations.

cheers

Alk

What could have been accomplished by the Germans in 1943?

Post by Alk » 02 Aug 2005, 07:14

Qvist,

Points well taken and very well articulated. Although I've read the majority of books in English about the Eastern Front in WWII, I would say that you are more knowledgeable than I. Still, I don't completely agree with all your conclusions, although they are certainly supported by statistics and logic (both statistics and logic can almost always be tailored to support a particular point of view however).

Since you are very well versed on the Eastern Front during WWII, and since you stated that Stalingrad was not necessarily the death blow to the German army, please discuss what you would have done if you were the supreme commander of German forces in the late Spring of 1943 onward, to alter the outcome of the War in the East (others can chip in their opinions as well).

You are faced with the following situation:

1. The Russians now have at least a 5:3 manpower advantage, and it will continue to grow.
2. Your allies in the East have essentially been wiped out.
3. The Russsians are producing roughly 3X as many tanks as the Germans, and 5X artillery and mortars.
4. The Russians are getting increasingly substantial help from the Western Allies, making their armies better fed, better clothed, more mobile, and with better communications capabilities than they would have been otherwise.
5. The Russians have clearly learned from the Germans and from their own blunders. Their tactical and strategic expertise is growing by the day.

Looking at your overall situation....

1. You have to prepare for the imminent allied invasion of Southern Europe, probably Italy, and need to find a couple of dozen divisions available to counter it.
2. You have to continue to defend the Balkans with a number of divisions in order to keep allied air power away from Ploesti, and to prevent a allied landing in the Balkans which could have disastrous strategic consequences.
3. You have to continue to defend Norway with several divisions to insure the flow of iron ore to the Reich.
4. You have to defend the French coast with a couple of dozen divisions in case the Allies attempt a 1943 landing. You know that you must double or triple your troops and defenses in France in the next year to have any hope of defeating a landing there.
5. You have to keep at least least half your air force in the West to counter the allied bombing offensive over W. Europe and to protect the rest of the continent from the allies.
6. You have to build huge numbers of heavy anti-aircraft guns to attempt to stop this offensive, and protect your people.
7. You are continuing to launch about a submarine a day, in spite of enormous manufacturing costs involved and the now (after May 1943) very limited returns.
8. You are laying the groundwork for a gigantic terror-weapon campaign against the West, which will result in thousands of V1 and V2's manufactured at the expense of other war materials.

In the East...

1. You can launch a limited offensive at Kursk, but only by massing about 2/3's of your amored strength on small sector of the front, against arguably the strongest anti-tank defenses ever built.
2. Many of your main supply lines must go through partisan infested areas which you are not strong enough to clear out, and which cause an increasing drain on your resources.
2. A quick look at your existing front shows you that you simply don't have the ability to hold the entire frontline in depth. If you lost a large part of your armor at Kursk, there would be no real mobile reserves to hold back a Russian Army that is being supplied with over 2000 tanks a month along with multitudes of other weapons and supplies.

However:

1. As the recently completed battle near Rzhev shows, with adequate defensive preparations and adequate reserves, you can still win major defenisve victories, in which for a cost of 40,000 German casualties, can inflict approximately 500,000 on your opponents (Glantz's figures here).
2. Although the Leningrad seige has been partially lifted, several major defensive victories on that front over the last year show that when even modest numbers of reserves are available and the front is manned in sufficient strength and depth, even seeming overwhelmingly powerful Soviet offensives have ended in blood-baths for the Red Army. When defenses are sufficiently developed, it is obvious that defense is the strongest form of warfare, at least at this time on the Eastern Front (this was also proven true at Kursk).
3. As these battles, and especially Manstein's counteroffensive during the previous winter show, the Germans still hold a tactical superiority (especially in mobile warfare) over their opponents. You know that the Russians will continue to get stronger and smarter, but just maybe, if you don't squander your divisions needlessly, and have a front line of manageable length and depth, there could possibly still be hope.

As supreme commander what do you do? Would you continue to raise new divisions, including Luftwaffe and SS? Do you radically shorten your front, maybe all the way to the Dneister and Bug Rivers in order to eradicate partisan difficulties and to have your entire Western European gauge transportation network available to support you in building a "East Wall" of great strength? Possibly you still want to at least hold onto the Ukraine west of the Dneiper to have something to show for your Army's sacrifices? Do you call off all offensives in the East in 1943 and try to keep the panzerwaffe intact as mobile striking force as Guderian urged Hitler? Do you cancel all projects with limited military return in 1943, like the V-weapons programs and the huge submarine effort. and reallocate those resources for increased armor and aircraft production? Do you do more to develop jet aircraft and do everything possible make the MP43/44 the standard weapon of all infantry in the German army?

The easy (and probably logical) answer is pursue an end to the war, at least on one front. Possibly follow-up on Molotov's reported peace feelers made at this time. They supposedly stated that in exchange for the Germans retreating to the 1941 borders, a peace treaty could be fashioned in the East. For the sake of argument, hopefully you won't take the easy way out however and choose that sane solution.

As supreme German commander Qvist, is there anything you could have done in 1943/44 to bleed the Russians white to the extent of negotiating a peace treaty stating that the Germans would keep parts of Western Russia/Ukraine?

Qvist

Post by Qvist » 02 Aug 2005, 08:25

Hi Alk
Still, I don't completely agree with all your conclusions, although they are certainly supported by statistics and logic (both statistics and logic can almost always be tailored to support a particular point of view however).
To a certain extent yes, provided that's what you want to do (and many have). I prefer to use it as the basis for analysis rather than as illustration for it. Also, if you tailor statistics, so can others - and it will be just as easy to demolish the argument made. this is not the case as long as statistics are utilised in a more meaningful way without simply using the snippets that serve the chosen purpose - they do clearly suggest certain things and rule out others.
Since you are very well versed on the Eastern Front during WWII, and since you stated that Stalingrad was not necessarily the death blow to the German army, please discuss what you would have done if you were the supreme commander of German forces in the late Spring of 1943 onward, to alter the outcome of the War in the East (others can chip in their opinions as well).
Ah, but this presupposes exactly what I am denying in my main conclusion - that the outcome of the war in the East still rested significantly in German hands at this point. :) I think that it did not - and that the main (as opposed to sole) reason for this was not the loss of 6th Army at Stalingrad, but rather the development of the Red Army to the fighting instrument it was (in terms of structure and size) by the summer of 1943.

cheers
Last edited by Qvist on 02 Aug 2005, 09:18, edited 1 time in total.

Qvist

Post by Qvist » 02 Aug 2005, 09:06

.... But Ok, taking the discussion on a sort of "what was the best that could have been done" basis (and thank you BTW for an interesting post):
You are faced with the following situation:

1. The Russians now have at least a 5:3 manpower advantage, and it will continue to grow.
2. Your allies in the East have essentially been wiped out.
3. The Russsians are producing roughly 3X as many tanks as the Germans, and 5X artillery and mortars.
4. The Russians are getting increasingly substantial help from the Western Allies, making their armies better fed, better clothed, more mobile, and with better communications capabilities than they would have been otherwise.
5. The Russians have clearly learned from the Germans and from their own blunders. Their tactical and strategic expertise is growing by the day.
1. The russian manpower advantage was arguably greater than 5:3 at this point, even if you do not count the Stavka reserve. Soviet fronts strength through 2nd quarter 1943 averaged 6,459,800 against an Ostheer average of 2.8-2.9 million men. But it depends of course on whether or not you include the finnish front and German allies.
2. Not quite, and at least except the Finns (but I do not know if you are including them in the equation here).
Looking at your overall situation....

1. You have to prepare for the imminent allied invasion of Southern Europe, probably Italy, and need to find a couple of dozen divisions available to counter it.
2. You have to continue to defend the Balkans with a number of divisions in order to keep allied air power away from Ploesti, and to prevent a allied landing in the Balkans which could have disastrous strategic consequences.
3. You have to continue to defend Norway with several divisions to insure the flow of iron ore to the Reich.
4. You have to defend the French coast with a couple of dozen divisions in case the Allies attempt a 1943 landing. You know that you must double or triple your troops and defenses in France in the next year to have any hope of defeating a landing there.
5. You have to keep at least least half your air force in the West to counter the allied bombing offensive over W. Europe and to protect the rest of the continent from the allies.
6. You have to build huge numbers of heavy anti-aircraft guns to attempt to stop this offensive, and protect your people.
7. You are continuing to launch about a submarine a day, in spite of enormous manufacturing costs involved and the now (after May 1943) very limited returns.
8. You are laying the groundwork for a gigantic terror-weapon campaign against the West, which will result in thousands of V1 and V2's manufactured at the expense of other war materials.
4. There were between 40 and 50 divisions in France and the low countries at this point, not a couple of dozen.
3. As these battles, and especially Manstein's counteroffensive during the previous winter show, the Germans still hold a tactical superiority (especially in mobile warfare) over their opponents. You know that the Russians will continue to get stronger and smarter, but just maybe, if you don't squander your divisions needlessly, and have a front line of manageable length and depth, there could possibly still be hope.
Well, this is IMO very arguable. I think the operations in 1943 strongly contradict the notion of the Germans possessing sufficient strength for a successful strategic defensive in the East. Traditionally, the explanation offered here has been that the Germans were so badly bled at Kursk that they lost this capacity (which they would otherwise have possessed). However, with what is now known about the Kursk losses, this view must IMO clearly be discarded - the Kursk losses cannot explain the consequent inability to stem to Soviet tide. This suggests that the soviet advances reflect the general strength relation in the East rather than any single strategic mistake, and leaves us with only the adoption of a different defensive strategy as the sole remaining variable in order to change the outcome. We do know from events that the Germans did not have the depth of forces to implement a rigid, linear type of defense successfully (unlike f.e. at Rzhev or n the North during the previous year) - this is after all what they attempted, and it did not succeed. Regarding flexible, mobile defence - who knows? I think it probably at least would not have had worse results. But with a considerable part of the Ostheer in no real state for this kind of warfare, with an opponent better led and equipped than before, more mobile than before and with an unprecedented and growing force superiority, I do not see this as something that would have been likely to have produced a very different result.

cheers

Andreas

Post by Andreas » 03 Aug 2005, 09:36

I think the significance of Stalingrad for the actual (as opposed to moral) state of the German war effort has been overstated, so I am in agreement with Qvist on that.

The Germans were not the only ones who suffered from Stalingrad though. Apart from German 6th Army, Italian 8th Army, Hungarian 2nd Army, Romanian 3rd and 4th Armies were either completely or largely rendered hors de combat. In terms of active manpower they were much more significant as share of their country's contribution than the 6th Army was to the Ostheer. Hungary and Italy reduced by 100% their frontline contribution to the war in the east following the desaster, Romania probably by 50-70%?

One should probably add to that 17th Army which was affected by Stalingrad indirectly, since it was dropped into a backwater with little chance to contribute to active combat operations. AIUI this also contained the last real Romanian frontline contribution in the east.

The allied formations destroyed in the winter operations had only limited offensive value, and as Uranus and the follow-on operations showed by 1943 also only limited defensive value, due to their much less powerful equipment and lack of motorisation and Heerestruppen assets, compared even to German infantry formations. But as long as the main German formations kept the Red Army busy they could be used to hold the ground they stood on. With them gone, the frontline in the east suddenly became a lot longer for the Ostheer, and it was no longer able to cover it adequately despite the increase in numbers by mid-1943, and conduct even operational attacks such as the one at Kursk without exposing itself to great risk elsewhere at the front.

So arguably the direct success of the Soviet Stalingrad and post-Stalingrad operations was to remove 5 armies completely from the Axis roster, and push another one into a position where it was isolated. The main contribution by allied formations such as Hungarian 2nd Army and e.g. the Romanian Lascar detachment seems to have been to die in place, thus allowing the German formations to reorganise and rescue themselves, and of course to provide convenient scapegoats for the ineptness of the German leadership on most levels, who just blamed the collapse on their allies. This perception unfortunately still lives on in the historiography of the war.

All the best

Andreas

Qvist

Post by Qvist » 03 Aug 2005, 10:02

Fully agree - for the Romanians, Hungarians and Italians, Stalingrad was certainly an event that dominates the whole story of their war effort.

cheers

GaryD

Post by GaryD » 25 Nov 2006, 08:23

Gentlemen, since the title of this thread is Mars, I'd like to ask a small question on that topic.

Can anyone tell me what was the strength of the 3rd Panzer and the 9th Armies in September-December 1942?

Return to “WW2 in Eastern Europe”