Retreating all the way to Cairo April May 1941

Discussions on WW2 in Africa & the Mediterranean. Hosted by Andy H
ClintHardware

Retreating all the way to Cairo April May 1941

Post by ClintHardware » 17 Oct 2014, 12:59

Recently I was told by a historian that units from 2nd Armoured Division had run away all the way to Cairo in early April 1941. When I asked him who he was describing he couldn't remember or where he had seen it stated or what unit(s) they were from.

Can anyone illuminate who the participants of this feat were (how did they persuade anyone to give them that amount of petrol and avoid questions about desertion)? And if you respond can you do so by quoting witnesses and real sources? I can't find anything stated in any of the war diaries and there is no mention of desertion or field punishments being given out.
Imperialism and Re-Armament NOW !

ClintHardware

Re: Retreating all the way to Cairo April May 1941

Post by ClintHardware » 24 Oct 2014, 12:02

As no one has replied after 138 views of this topic there seems to be a mystery here and it probably stems from drinking in Shepheards and the NAAFI and then 50 or so post-war annual regimental dinners.

I can give you one real example but he only reached the Wire and so does not really count and he wasn't running away. Captain Constant of 4th Field Sqn, R.E. broke out of Mechili after the surrender in a truck with another officer and next day they took a German motorcyclist prisoner (sadly he later fell off the roof of the truck and is probably still in Libya). Anyway, Captain Constant and his side-kick tried to head north-east towards the Via Balbia but because they kept bumping German elements on their way to Derna they decided just to drive east and hit the Wire and then find their way back to 7th Armoured Division from which they had been detached on loan to 2nd Armoured Division in February/March.

The source is Brigadier Constant's own account in the Journal of the Institution of the Royal Engineers - I can give you the edition details if you want.

Dili

Post by Dili » 24 Oct 2014, 21:29

I know of panic in 1942, but i never heard about it for 1941. Not anything worthwhile to help i am afraid.

ClintHardware

Post by ClintHardware » 24 Oct 2014, 22:21

I have found some interesting self critical statements from Captain Constant and Major Cracroft of 2nd Armd Div H.Q. They do not deny the existence of panic but the problem with eyewitnesses telling us today of various levels of panic or rout is our understanding of the extent.

The test is did a unit rally and re-organise and if so when and how well, and what kit and weapons did they retain.

Return to “WW2 in Africa & the Mediterranean”