What is everyone reading on WW2?

Discussions on books and other reference material on the WW1, Inter-War or WW2 as well as the authors. Hosted by Andy H.
Larso

Re: Recommended reading on WW2 in the Pacific&Asia

Post by Larso » 19 Oct 2013, 03:42

The Hard Slog : Australians in the Bougainville Campaign 1944-45 by Karl James

This is the first in depth look at this WW2 campaign since the official history was published in 1963. Even though that was an extensive account, it was grouped together with the other Australian campaigns of the end of the war. A 1983 book by Peter Charlton argued that these were unnecessary and it is this position, particularly in relation to the Bougainville campaign, that James is chiefly challenging.

The controversial nature of this and the other later Australian campaigns in the islands stems from the complicated situation Australia found itself in in 1944. The biggest factor was that manpower resources were not sufficient to both maintain a large army and meet industry requirements. Even so, the Australian government fully intended to continue its full role in the war against Japan and as such, was quite perplexed when MacArthur decided to use Australian forces principally for garrison roles (in order to release US divisions for his looming Philippines return). While this seemingly let Australia ‘off the hook’ it was not a palatable role for a country that prided itself on its military achievements. There was also the assumption that the war would continue into 1946 and that Australia would participate in the invasion of Japan. Clearing the Japanese out of Bougainville for instance, would free up the 28,000 men to be based there. All of these factors contributed to a compromise of sorts, where Australian forces, though deployed in generally secondary zones, would still engage in aggressive actions against the Japanese. The resulting operations were criticized by some, including soldiers involved, as unnecessary and wasteful ‘mopping-up’.

The Bougainville campaign began for the Australians in late 1944, when II Corps, commanded by Lt-Gen Savige, replaced US forces. The Americans had established themselves strongly following their own arrival a year earlier but at this time, they and the Japanese, essentially kept to their own side of the island. The Australian force consisted of the 3rd Division (7th, 15th & 29th Bde’s), as well as the 11th & 23rd Bdes. Savige was very mindful of limiting casualties, so all actions were to be conducted carefully. Unfortunately the Australians estimated Japanese strength at only half its actual number and opposition was quite significant. Largely this was offset by absolute superiority in the air and at sea and a functioning supply system, while Japanese numbers were cruelled by disease and starvation (to the extent that cannibalism was conducted). The bulk of actions were typical of jungle fighting; patrols, ambushes and seizing dominating ground. There were though a number of significant battles, with the 25th Battalion’s defense of Slater’s Knoll and the reverse at Porten being the most notable. James does a good job in revealing the nature and stress of the fighting. There are additional sources, including interviews with veterans, that give some fresh perspectives. This included the hushed up news that men in some battalions refused orders to undertake operations.

Aside from addressing the controversy, James also looks at Australia’s awkward two-army structure and the records and performances of the leaders. There were egos and conflicts. Some were seeking to enhance or repair their war records. Others shared the view that the campaign was unnecessary and resented being involved. These men have my sympathy. It was certainly the case that this campaign did nothing to hasten the Japanese defeat and that the 516 men who died (and their families) paid the highest of prices. However it was clearly untenable for Australian units to have sat safely idle while the Americans continued the fighting. While the Australian command had expected to be involved in the Philippines, it is pertinent to note that American divisions fighting there generally suffered two – three times the casualties suffered by 3rd Australian. Some US divisions on Okinawa suffered four – five times more. It seems to me a matter of being careful what you wish for. Australia’s situation in 1044 was not perfect. War imposes many difficulties. However, undertaking operations like that on Bougainville were in my opinion the least worst of the options open. It is easy with hindsight to say such a thing but James makes a strong case for it. Highly recommended if the history of the Australian army is your thing.

JeroenPollentier

Re: What is everyone reading on WW2?

Post by JeroenPollentier » 20 Oct 2013, 12:45

I don't want to start a separate thread about this, so I'll ask it here:

Does anybody know whether a German version is still available of Robert Harris' "Selling Hitler" (about the faking of the HItler Diaries)? Apparently it was translated into German once, but it's impossible to find a copy. The "Katalog der Deutschen Nationalbibliothek" lists all books by and about Robert Harris, but they don't even mention the German Version of Selling Hitler ('Hitler Verkaufen')

Did / does a German translation actually even exist in the first place? :|

AJFFM

Post by AJFFM » 20 Oct 2013, 17:48

Just finished vol. 2 of Barbarossa Derailed by David Glantz, a great book by a great author despite the dryness of the style. Waiting for the accompanying volumes particularly the one containing as claimed better reproduced maps.

trisha

Re: Recommended reading on the Heer, Waffen-SS & Volkssturm

Post by trisha » 22 Oct 2013, 15:38

I've only just found this board many years ago I heard a waffen ss officer ( think his name was col.von Meyer) had published a book about his war service title "all my brothers are silent" does anyone know if it's still in print.best wishes to all Trisha.

LMA-17

Post by LMA-17 » 25 Oct 2013, 02:33

Read :

"Singa Bosnia" (Lions of Bosnia) and "Legiun Arya Kehormatan" (Honorary Aryan Legions), both by Nino Oktorino and in Indonesian. The first one about 'Handschar' and 'Kama' SS divisions and Bosniak militias. Interesting stories with some infos that not exist in Lepre's excellent work. The second one is about Muslim, Hindus, and Buddhist volunteers in Wehrmacht and Waffen-SS.
Attachments
legiun arya kehormatann.jpg
legiun arya kehormatann.jpg (72.42 KiB) Viewed 1364 times
singa bosnia.jpg
singa bosnia.jpg (81.98 KiB) Viewed 1364 times

Ken S.

Post by Ken S. » 31 Oct 2013, 08:52

Steenberg - Sie nannten mich Gospodin

JeroenPollentier

Post by JeroenPollentier » 10 Nov 2013, 12:26

I am reading (and have almost finished) Joachim Fest's Hitler biography. I was reluctant to buy it at first, since I have already read Kershaw's and Toland's and I was wondering if there was something new I could learn.

But I'm enjoying it very much, it's very good and you can tell it was written by a German, who "knows" what effect Hitler must have had on the Germans of that time, and Fest understands Hitler's relation to "the" Germans better than Kershaw and Toland, in my opinion.

Fest looks with a psychological point of view at the ordinary Germans, the strategies of the Regime (in Germany and in foreign relations) and tries to look inside Hitlers head and explain his actions and motives.

It's difficult to say whether Fest's book is better than Toland's or Kershaw's, it certainly is different. You don't learn many new things, but the point of view that is taken is very interesting.

If I have to describe my reading experience of the three bio's I've read so far, I would say Kershaw's is very dry, academic, correct and up-to-date. John Toland brings the story to life and makes it very human: you get the impressions from witnesses, secretaries, interpreters, and so on. You get to know how it must have been meeting and working with Hitler, as if you were there yourself. Joachim Fest's bio is written by a German, and you can tell. He is masterful at pointing out how WW1, the interwar period, the hopes and fears, the coming of Hitler .... must have been for the ordinary Germans. He is also the first one that satisfactorily explains what kind of a person Hitler really was, why he acted as he did and how his relation with the German people was.

It may not be the best Hitler bio, but Joachim Fest's is really good, much better than I expected.

Imad

Post by Imad » 11 Nov 2013, 22:12

Operation Barbarossa by David Glantz

Imad

Post by Imad » 11 Nov 2013, 22:14

@ JeroenPolentier: Thanks for that feedback. I was contemplating getting a copy of Fest's book but I was hesitant as I have already read Toland and Kershaw. I agree with your input too. I preferred Toland's to Kershaw's account.

Frankfurter

Post by Frankfurter » 20 Nov 2013, 01:31

I have just finished the new biography of Erwin von Witzleben by Georg von Witzleben.
A thoroughly researched book with a number of unknown photos. Recommended.

JeroenPollentier wrote:It's fiction and not really WW2, but I've started reading in Robert Harris "Vaterland" (German version), a detective story taking place in Berlin in 1964. The Germans have won the war and now they control Europe, although there is still a bloody partisan war going on in the east. It has been a long time that I enjoyed a novel this much, I can certainly recommend it.

Yes, thats quite an interesting book. I read about 20 years ago. The book is much better than the film with Rutger Hauer based on it.

Marcus

Re: Recommended books on WW2 in Africa & the Mediterranean

Post by Marcus » 15 Dec 2013, 19:20

A discussion about "In Passage Perilous: Malta and the Convoy Battles of June 1942 " was split off into a new thread at http://forum.axishistory.com/viewtopic. ... 9&t=204098

/Marcus

ajax

Post by ajax » 24 Dec 2013, 23:52

Currently reading Comrades to the End - The 4th SS Panzer Grenadier Regiment "Der Führer" by Otto Weidinger

Felix C

Post by Felix C » 26 Dec 2013, 02:34

Chester Wilmont's Struggle for Europe. Along with Rohwer's revised Chronology of the War at Sea.

Re: Recommended reading on WW2 in Eastern Europe

Post by Avatar » 05 Jan 2014, 11:22

"The Eagle Unbowed" by Halik Kochanski details the agony of Poland during WW2, "Ostfront: by Charles Winchester is an excellent account on the effects of the war on civilians and soldiers and the logistics involved in the conflict whilst staying pretty clear of what military unit fought where , a subject other authors cover, ad nauseam which, imho, can become very tedious. The same author updated this book in his "Hitler's War on Russia" which I found just as brilliant.

Considering the horrific consequences of the war on the Soviet Union and this country's huge contribution to ending it readers will be fascinated by the price that Germans paid by following their Fuhrer's thousand year dream by reading "In the Ruins of the Reich" by Douglas Botting and in the same vein and just as interesting is "Savage Continent" by Keith Lowe eg. in Warsaw with a pre-war population of 1m. when the Reds moved in there was only two street lights working.

uhu

Post by uhu » 15 Jan 2014, 22:44

No Sense in Dwelling on the Past?

Really, that's the title and the theme of this excellent study of how the studies were made. The Luftwaffe leadership written monographs made after the war are in most of our libraries. This books explains how they came about, and details how they were composed and filed. It also lists the ones that were published, and those unpublished. Many of them were never translated. If you're going to get the book get the edition that's got the Maltese Cross on the hardcover. It is fairly inexpensive.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss? ... %20past%3F

Return to “Books & other Reference Material”