Avalanche almost a defeat?

Discussions on WW2 in Africa & the Mediterranean. Hosted by Andy H
Felix C

Avalanche almost a defeat?

Post by Felix C » 07 Feb 2014, 16:25

Reading a bit now on this and I think it was rather close battle. The Allies were nearly split in two and hand to airdrop reinforcements onto the beachhead. Were the Germans that prepared for the landing or was it a case of the landing forces taking too much time to move inland?

I am surprised Avalanche does not receive as much textual analysis as Anzio.

Aber

Re: Avalanche almost a defeat?

Post by Aber » 08 Feb 2014, 19:25

Or a poor plan, with a large gap and a river between the Allied Corps.

Carl Schwamberger
Host - Allied sections

Post by Carl Schwamberger » 09 Feb 2014, 03:48

Felix C wrote:I am surprised Avalanche does not receive as much textual analysis as Anzio.
It has, but the material is older & not as widely published
Felix C wrote:Reading a bit now on this and I think it was rather close battle. The Allies were nearly split in two
There was concern at the time as the scale of the German attack and reserves was not well understood by the 5th Army. There was also a sense of inferiority on the part of some Allied soldiers/leaders. Analysis of the German record shows the attacks less threatening than they seemed at the time. At the time the true role of the Allied Naval Gun Fire support was not clearly understood by many on either side and in the pop histories is usually underreported.
Felix C wrote: Were the Germans that prepared for the landing
Yes and no. The 16th Pz Div had been rushed to the location, and was not entirely present. Also the Germans were unable to effectively fight on the beach, but had to concentrate the battalions of the 16th PD along the likely routes inland. They were well prepared to rush reserves there after the landing had been identified. The Herman Goering Div and a large well equipped Para Division were nearby at Naples.
Felix C wrote:..or was it a case of the landing forces taking too much time to move inland?
In a sense, but probablly not as you think. The late arrival of the 16th PzD was not identified and only a few companies of defenders were anticipated, rather than the several battalions. The 5th Army commander decided to land the initial waves waves administratively so they could advance inland faster. Instead they had to slow to reorganize into assault mode to clear the German strong points. Had the movement of the 16th Div to the Salerno area been identified soon enough the 5th Army would have started on the right foot with a initial assault vs having to shift mode on the march.

As primers on this battle I could recommend WGF Jacksons 'The Battle for Italy' as a straight forward description of the general battle. Or, Atkinsons recent 'Day of Battle' for the US Armys experience in this battle.

atrog

Post by atrog » 05 Mar 2014, 15:03

I also found two books very informative about the landing: By the way, where I can find a good resource about the OOB of the German formations involved in this battle?
Thanks in advance.

Michate

Post by Michate » 12 Mar 2014, 15:48

Probably in this book: http://www.amazon.de/Zwischen-Reggio-Ca ... la+Italien

But you have to be able to read German.

Carl Schwamberger
Host - Allied sections

Post by Carl Schwamberger » 12 Mar 2014, 16:05

Hyperwar has a section on the battle/campaign, by Blumenson.

http://www.ibiblio.org/hyperwar/USA/USA ... index.html

Return to “WW2 in Africa & the Mediterranean”