Dak armoured vehicle markings - 1941

Discussions on WW2 in Africa & the Mediterranean. Hosted by Andy H
shane1967

Dak armoured vehicle markings - 1941

Post by shane1967 » 23 Aug 2015, 12:43

Dear colleagues

I would like to start a new topic dealing with DAK armoured vehicle markings during 1941. I am making this time distinction for two reasons; firstly I will cover 1942 at a later time and secondly I conceptualise the DAK armoured vehicle fleet into two time periods - pre and post Operation Crusader. The reason for this distinction is that the DAK armoured vehicle fleet was essentially destroyed during Operation Crusader and rebuilt with reinforcements in 1942. This is in contrast to the 1941 period where the fleet was relatively homogenous with limited losses and reinforcements / replacements.

The current presentation of Afrika Korps markings has its roots in the research and writing of the late 1960s and 1970s by authors such as Murphy (Panzer Colours), Ellis and Bradford. These authors appear to have been heavily reliant on photo interpretation in drawing their conclusions regarding markings due to the lack of surviving written documentation. Jentz added new material, however, while his work is extremely good, it is let down by the lack of referencing back to the primary source material he used.

The evidence source of this post is British / Commonwealth daily Intelligence Summaries. These were the mechanism for quickly disseminating recent information on the axis forces to all allied units in the Middle East. They were prepared by all units from battalion level upwards and reported on information collected over the previous 24 hours. Information was presented according to a set format and included current activities, order of battle and equipment amongst the sub headings.

Using intelligence records as a historical source presents a number of risks to the historian. They present a combination of factual material as well as analysis and it is important to clearly distinguish between fact and conjecture. Source reliability is another challenge due to the wide range of sources drawn upon in developing the intelligence ‘picture’. The approach I take is that where a report is presented, I give this 100% reliability. In contrast, POW statements I consider less reliable and seek to confirm them through other sources.

Lets kick off with the classic DAK palm and swastika symbol

The first reference I can find is dated 17 April 1941

In July 1941, the British reported capturing a document specifying that the palm be painted in different colours to distinguish between DAK, 21 Pz Div and 15 Pz Div

A POW report referencing the use of red by 33 AA of 15 Pz Div. It is noteworthy that the report fails to identify 33 AA as a sub unit within 15 Pz Div.

Orders cancelling the use of different coloured palm and swastika were issued in November 1941, reverting back to the overall use of a white palm

shane1967

Re: Dak armoured vehicle markings - 1941

Post by shane1967 » 24 Aug 2015, 03:46

Colleagues

I would like to shift now to the painting of tactical markings. However, before presenting what I have I would like to briefly describe how I conceive the study of vehicle markings. Essentially, it can be seen as a coin with two sides. On one side is the official instructions, directives etc. On the other side is the question of how these were complied with by the subordinate units. What I am presenting is the former, the orders and I'll leave it to others to judge to what degree they were complied with.

The following order was issued by 155 Lorried Infantry Regiment (sorry, I don't have the German unit designation readily available). From my past study and military experience, sub units do not generally issue orders such as these, rather they come from higher formations and I would suggest that this order applied wider than simply 155 Regiment.

The source is the collection of GHQ ME Intelligence Summaries held by the Australian War Memorial.

David W

Re: Dak armoured vehicle markings - 1941

Post by David W » 24 Aug 2015, 08:08

Great work Shane, thanks for posting,

Return to “WW2 in Africa & the Mediterranean”