Anglo-Greek Meeting at Tatoi – 22 February, 1941

Discussions on WW2 in Africa & the Mediterranean. Hosted by Andy H
MarkN

Re: Anglo-Greek Meeting at Tatoi – 22 February, 1941

Post by MarkN » 08 May 2016, 14:57

Whilst we await jwsleser's recommended reading list on what the Yugoslav's intended and were up to during this period, I thought these may give a flavor.

It's just 4 documents amongst many available. They all relate to February 1941 - the period when Greece had (just) decided to make Yugoslavia central to its national survival (or so the story goes). The same timeframe that Papagos individually, or the Greek High Command collectively, chose to ignore their own military assessment and adopt a defensive posture entirely predicated on Yugoslavia providing the exact military effort that Papagos had outlined in his March 1940 study.

The 'fact' that Stockings and Hancock in Swastika over the Acropolis and many other authors in the English language seem to have ignored this evidence when generating their theories and narratives should not imply the irrelevance of this evidence, or worse still, that these events and negotiations did not take place. Papagos may well have been thinking strategically - as Stockings and Hancock propose - but how credible was his analysis of the Yugoslav situation and thus his choices?

So as not to completely flood the thread, please click on the thumbnails to read the documents.

Document 15
ImageImage

Document 47
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Document 48
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Document 85
ImageImageImage

All extracted from Documents on German Foreign Policy 1918-1945, Series D, Volume XII, US Government Printing Office, 1962

Tom from Cornwall

Post by Tom from Cornwall » 10 May 2016, 20:21

Mark, Jeff, et al,

Thanks for continuing to post over the last few months while I was swamped with studying. I will go through the thread over the next week or so, and see if there is anything I can add. I've found several pertinent journal articles that seem to offer some interesting perspectives re the actual operations once the Germans attacked.

Regards

Tom

Tom from Cornwall

Post by Tom from Cornwall » 08 Sep 2016, 21:01

Hi,

Going back to my post of these discussions:
Document 9A

MOST SECRET
B.M.M./G.H./P/7.

RECORD OF CONVERSATION BETWEEN GENERAL WILSON & GENERAL PAPAGOS

HELD IN THE TRAIN AT 1010 [??] HRS ON 4 APRIL 1941.

Also present: Air Vice Marshal D’Albiac
General Heywood
Colonel Kitrilakis

1. General Papagos asked whether, in view of the previous day’s conversations with General Jankovitch, there should be changes in the dispositions of the Greek forces, and when it might be possible to carry them out, particularly in view of the fact that the Jugoslavs had four divs completely mobilised in S.E. JUGOSLAVIA< with more reserves in the VARDAR Valley
I thought it would be interesting to find out records of the conversation with General J. I found these in General Wilson's report (WO201/2743):
Appendix A
B.M.M./G.H/P/25
MOST SECRET

ANGLO-GREEK-YUGOSLAV DISCUSSIONS AT FLORINA

3rd April, 1941

Present:-
General Papagos General Jankovitch
General Wilson One Staff Officer
General Heywood
A.V.M. D’Albiac
Admiral Turle
Brigadier Galloway
Brigadier Mallaby

1. This meeting was due to take place at 1200 hrs, but was delayed until 2200 hrs owing to the late arrival of Yugoslav Delegation, whose train broke down on the way. The meeting terminated at 0200 hrs, 4 Apr 41.

2. General Jankovitch opened the discussion by stating that as a result of conversations between the C.I.G.S. and the President of the Council, he (the General) had been instructed to discuss certain points of common action in case of an attack by Bulgars, Germans or Italians against SALONIKA.

[...]

Yugoslav Army very short of aircraft, including all stores; A.A., A.Tk. and M/T. Yugoslavia has had a bad harvest and needs food from England. Details as to all these requirements can be given later. Captured material to be shared according to the greatest needs.

[...]

(c) General Wilson asked whether in the case of a sudden attack the Yugoslav forces on the Bulgar front had an organised line on which they could hold such an attack. General J. said that they had taken steps to fortify certain obvious approaches, but that the STRUMICA defences were not well organised. They were nearly finished everywhere except in the STRUMICA valley, which was most certainly their weakest point. He emphasized that their divisions were not designed to repel a sudden attack by A.F.Vs, and asked for more A.Tk. guns, etc.

General Wilson urged that it was work on the ground and not troops on the ground that would help to close the gap against a German armoured offensive. If the hills were held and the valleys blocked, it would be very difficult for the enemy to achieve a sudden success, if at all. As regards air support, both General Wilson and A.V.M. D’Albiac said that much could be done to stop the offensive by combining air support at the threatened point.

[...]
Earlier on in the report, Wilson had complained that:
It is considered that the Military Mission failed to represent the military picture either in GREECE or in YUGOSLAVIA. The state of the Greek Army, particularly as regards its inability to move, was not adequately appreciated, nor was it appreciated that the Yugoslav Army could only last a few days against the German advance.
As Wilson (or Mr. Watt!) had been in Greece for about a month before these two meetings, it is relatively surprising that he didn't realise the weakness of both Greek and Yugoslav forces against the threat of a German combined-arms assault. It is also somewhat surprising that, given the miniscule RAF offensive capability in theatre and the stress put by it on "strategic" targets, how did D'Albiac think that "much could be done" by allied air power?

Regards

Tom

Tom from Cornwall

Post by Tom from Cornwall » 08 Sep 2016, 21:04

And further to my original request for Greek sources, I recently found the article that can be downloaded for free from this website which discusses the rather messy translation between Greek - French - English and back again that occurred, or perhaps didn't occur, at the 22 Feb 41 meeting. I'm not sure that even those who spoke the same language were in total agreement with what had been agreed. 8O

https://ojs.lib.uom.gr/index.php/Balkan ... /view/1948

Regards

Tom

jwsleser

Post by jwsleser » 09 Sep 2016, 00:38

Tom

Thanks for the additional information. Note that his conclusions are in line with Stockings and Hancock's argument (Woodhouse's article is listed in their bibliography).
it is relatively surprising that he didn't realise the weakness of both Greek and Yugoslav forces against the threat of a German combined-arms assault.
Higham discusses the disconnect of information sharing between Wilson's and Heywood's organizations.These shortcomings were well known to the Military Mission, yet Wilson's staff (and Wilson himself) seem to lack any real understanding of Greek and Yugoslavian limitations.

The importance of Thessaloniki to Yugoslavia is discussed in several books (which will likely not be read as part of this discussion, but I can provide the cites), but Woodhouse above and the article linked below highlight that the port was critical to Yugoslavia.

The Port of Salonica in Yugoslav Foreign Policy 1919–1941.

Pista! Jeff
Jeff Leser

Infantrymen of the Air

MarkN

Post by MarkN » 09 Sep 2016, 15:54

Hi Tom,
Tom from Cornwall wrote: As Wilson (or Mr. Watt!) had been in Greece for about a month before these two meetings, it is relatively surprising that he didn't realise the weakness of both Greek and Yugoslav forces against the threat of a German combined-arms assault. It is also somewhat surprising that, given the miniscule RAF offensive capability in theatre and the stress put by it on "strategic" targets, how did D'Albiac think that "much could be done" by allied air power?
I believe the nature of how the Empire forces conducted themselves in the Greek campaign demonstrates that Wilson and other senior decision-makers were well aware of the weaknesses. The initially positionned themselves in such a way as to be able to manouver forward or backward appropriate to what the Germans did and how the Yugoslavs/Greeks reacted. Each of their subsequent rearward moves were done in such a way as to be able to offer stiffer resistance should it be necessary or wise. The Empire forces never really 'lost' and engagement nor even participated in a major battle; they were always in their toes before that occured.

Hi Jeff,
jwsleser wrote: The importance of Thessaloniki to Yugoslavia is discussed in several books (which will likely not be read as part of this discussion, but I can provide the cites),
Please do.

If you are able to point me towards the books/papers and authors that provide background and discussion of the Yugoslav position, then I'd like to have a read. Your link to Bakic is noted. I read it some time ago. I also have most of the material that he uses as his evidence. Do you have anything else I could peruse?
jwsleser wrote: but Woodhouse above and the article linked below highlight that the port was critical to Yugoslavia.

The Port of Salonica in Yugoslav Foreign Policy 1919–1941.
It is the norm in the English language literature that the author(s) invariably just assumes that Salonika was of "vital interest" to the Yugoslavs.

You will notice Woodhouse mentions this twice (page 162 and 164) without ever providing any evidence to support this nor a discussion as to the extent of thar importance and certainly nothing on what the Yugoslavs were actually thinking and doing. It is the same in Stockings and Hancock except they appear to make this assumption based upon the flimsy evidence of Major Perisic's first visit.

You will also notice from Woodhoouse that the meeting records indicate Papagos was clearly convinced that the Yugoslav would do as he required, further evidenced by his actual decision not to move his divisions from the Metaxas Line. Nevertheless, the same transcripts also identify that he was keen to have this conviction confirmed. In otherwords, even he did not know the intentions and motives of the Yugoslavs, their perception of Salonika and their efforts in this regard, he just assumed. Further evidence that his 'certainty' was more delusion than 'actual' is in his initial address regarding the best line to stand on and his entire post-war narrative of arguing the position was based up what the Yugoslavs might do.

It is clear from other documents not detailed by Woodhouse that the British diplomatic collective were also convinced that Salonika was of "vital interest". The documents discussed by Woodhouse identify the British Generals being quite unconvinced and ultimately getting their way regarding the placement of Empire troop dispositions.

Given that Woodhouse (and of course many others) are reading the same transcripts which clearly identify Papagos not having any certainty about Yugoslav intentions (but plenty of conviction that he has assumed correctly), it is for me rather surprising that they persist in just assuming the very same thing that he assumed. Especially, when he got it all so wrong!

Bakic, does a decent job of evaluating how "vital" Salonika was to the Yugoslavs and what measures they were contemplating to secure that "vital interest". Can you show me where Bakic's work supports the idea that Papagos had read the Yugoslavs correctly and that they were going to be able to offer the Greeks the military support that Papagos had himself outlined as necessary to justify the retention of major Greek units east of the Vardar? Remember, diplomatic and political support to fight alongside the Greeks and Empire is not what Papagos needed to defend Greece in the way he had disposed his forces. Those words have merely hidden the gross failure in his strategy. He needed the Yugoslav military to block the Germans from outflanking his forces.

Here's another article touching on the subject: https://ojs.lib.uom.gr/index.php/Balkan ... /view/3136

Tom from Cornwall

Post by Tom from Cornwall » 09 Sep 2016, 18:42

MarkN,
I believe the nature of how the Empire forces conducted themselves in the Greek campaign demonstrates that Wilson and other senior decision-makers were well aware of the weaknesses.
Up to a point I agree (especially once Wilson had had a chance to visit the forward positions and speak to some of the senior Greek/Yugoslav generals) - but then the question becomes why did Wilson suggest that he had been misled by the British Military Mission as to the ability of both the Greeks and Yugoslavs. Earlier in the report, he states that:
While conveniently placed in other respects, the retention of 3 R.T.R. at AMYNTAION was mainly due to the feeling that the open valley, known as the MONASTIR GAP, which led south from YUGOSLAVIA behind the main Anglo-Greek position, might well provide the means for a rapid German thrust, should YUGOSLAV resistance crumble, as indeed it did.
Doesn't that suggest that something he had been told already before moving north had given him pause for thought?
The Empire forces never really 'lost' and engagement nor even participated in a major battle; they were always in their toes before that occured.
Absolutely true - and I think it is the British OH that states that the campaign for the British was a withdrawal from start to finish. However, the popular history discounts these suggestions of relatively judicious pre-emptive withdrawals and would have us still believe the tales of desperate fighting against huge numbers of tanks, aircraft and infantry.
Given that Woodhouse (and of course many others) are reading the same transcripts which clearly identify Papagos not having any certainty about Yugoslav intentions (but plenty of conviction that he has assumed correctly), it is for me rather surprising that they persist in just assuming the very same thing that he assumed. Especially, when he got it all so wrong!
Sorry, you lost me here. Which, of all the assumptions that were flying around at this point, is the assumption that you are referring to?

I referred to the Woodhouse article mainly for the light it cast on the shambolic nature of the record taking at the meeting and the lack of an agreed action plan.

As for:
the British diplomatic collective were also convinced that Salonika was of "vital interest". The documents discussed by Woodhouse identify the British Generals being quite unconvinced and ultimately getting their way regarding the placement of Empire troop dispositions
My research tends to support this perspective although perhaps with more emphasis on the fact that the British military may well have conceded that Salonika was of "vital interest" but it was even more obvious that they didn't have the means to successfully defend it; whether they should have said the same thing about the Greek mainland as a whole is a moot point.

Regards

Tom

Tom from Cornwall

Post by Tom from Cornwall » 09 Sep 2016, 18:51

Jeff,
Higham discusses the disconnect of information sharing between Wilson's and Heywood's organizations.These shortcomings were well known to the Military Mission, yet Wilson's staff (and Wilson himself) seem to lack any real understanding of Greek and Yugoslavian limitations.
I'll have to go back to the primary sources, but I've got quite a lot of evidence showing that Middle East GHQ were well informed about the state of Greek and Yugoslav forces before the Anglo-Greek Meeting at Tatoi on 22 Feb 41 at which the Lustre Commitment was essentially taken on. There were certainly plenty of warnings about what would happen if the Germans invaded while the Greeks were still deeply engaged in Albania and that the Greek army was essentially immobile. Perhaps the fault actually lay with "Lustre Force" HQ or the inadequate briefing they were given by GHQ before leaving Middle East.

I will have another look at Higham to see if he has referenced any sources that I have not got yet.

I understand that Yugoslavia regarded continued access to Salonika as essential, however, I am surprised that they didn't realise that the British couldn't stop the port being closed to them immediately the Germans entered the Italo-Greek war due to the air superiority generated by the Luftwaffe against the weak opposition that the allies would be able to generate in the air.

Regards

Tom

MarkN

Post by MarkN » 09 Sep 2016, 20:01

Hello again,
Tom from Cornwall wrote:
I believe the nature of how the Empire forces conducted themselves in the Greek campaign demonstrates that Wilson and other senior decision-makers were well aware of the weaknesses.
Up to a point I agree (especially once Wilson had had a chance to visit the forward positions and speak to some of the senior Greek/Yugoslav generals) - but then the question becomes why did Wilson suggest that he had been misled by the British Military Mission as to the ability of both the Greeks and Yugoslavs. Earlier in the report, he states that:
While conveniently placed in other respects, the retention of 3 R.T.R. at AMYNTAION was mainly due to the feeling that the open valley, known as the MONASTIR GAP, which led south from YUGOSLAVIA behind the main Anglo-Greek position, might well provide the means for a rapid German thrust, should YUGOSLAV resistance crumble, as indeed it did.
Doesn't that suggest that something he had been told already before moving north had given him pause for thought?
All authors of their own history have a tendency to write that history in way that shows their own decisions and actions up in the best possible light. It's human nature.

Regarding 3RTR and its location, I would suggest the prime reason they remained in the Amyntaion area after detraining there was to conserve their tracks. It's not just that they stayed in that locale, they don't seemed to have moved their tanks at all, not even around the town.
Tom from Cornwall wrote:
Sorry, you lost me here. Which, of all the assumptions that were flying around at this point, is the assumption that you are referring to?
My apologies for the confusion.

The term "vital interests" implies that those interests are so important that a state will go to war to maintain or secure them. They are that important.

Woodhouse and most authors use that exact phase when discussing Yugoslavia's interest in Salonika without any evidence to support that statement. See page 162 and 164 of Woodhouse.

Woodhouse also quotes Papagos from the Greek record as saying (page 171), "Thessaloniki is a vital point for Yugoslavia. If Yugoslavia enters the war, ...". Notice how "vital" and "war" are cojoined in this understanding.

So, evidence that Papagos believed, ie assumed, that Salonika was "vital" to Yugoslavia. Based upon that assumption he maintained divisions east of the Vardar.

Nevertheless, despite assuming that to be the case, he was still eager for confirmation of it AND initially proposed a defensive line to the British that did not risk his country on that assumption.

Ie. Evidence that, at the time, whilst he had convinced himself that his assumption held good, and staked his country's independence on it, his military brain was able to process the reality that it was an assumption not a fact. And that, perhaps, is a greater indictment of his decisions and actions; he knew the dangers, but pressed on regardless.

Now, taking this a step further, one has to better understand just what "interest" the Yugoslavs had in Salonika and what, if anything, was "vital" about it. Then, try to understand what they were prepared to do to maintain those "vital interests".

For example, Papagos (and the British diplomatic corps) assumed the "vital" interest was in Salonika being in Greek hands. This is simply not true. The research I and a friend have done, supported by the Bakic paper, suggest that Yugoslavia considered it "vital" that they had free access to a free port in Salonika. It did not have to be in Greek hands.
Firstly, they were considering going to war with Greece, not Italy, to take their own control of it.
Secondly, they entered into discussions with Italy to maintain the same access should it fall into Italian hands.
And, thirdly, they found themselves having it offered to them by the Germans as the spoils of joining the Tripartite Pact.

It goes even deeper than that. But enough is enough. :)

However, the key take away point here is that whilst Papagos and a series of post-war historians have repeatedly stated that Salonika was a Yugoslav "vital interest" with the presumption that they would go to war, alongside Greece, to maintain Greek control of the port (and Yugoslav access), the true Yugoslav position was wholly different. It was not something they were prepared to go to war over, it was several rungs down on their "vital" list and the "vital" element of it was NOT associated specifically to maintaining Greek control of it.

jwsleser

Post by jwsleser » 10 Sep 2016, 05:24

Mark

>Please do.

Yugoslavia in Crisis, 1934-1941 Jacob B. Hoptner
Yugoslavia's Revolution of 1941 Dragiša N. Ristić,
Germany and Yugoslavia, 1933-1941: the German conquest of Yugoslavia Frank C. Littlefield
Jeff Leser

Infantrymen of the Air

jwsleser

Post by jwsleser » 10 Sep 2016, 05:57

Tom
There were certainly plenty of warnings about what would happen if the Germans invaded while the Greeks were still deeply engaged in Albania and that the Greek army was essentially immobile.
This is a different point from the raised by the quote your provided about Wilson. Both Metaxas and Pagagos recognized and implied that fighting the Germans without defeating the Italians first required a significant change in the strategic situation. Everyone understood this. This begs the question of why the UK committed to support the Greeks when the UK couldn't provide adequate forces to change the strategic equation. This is why Papagos saw Yugoslavia as the option that must fully be explored before making decisions that eliminated Yugoslavia as an option.

Your quote about Wilson not understanding the limited mobility was the point I was addressing and that Higham commented upon.
It is considered that the Military Mission failed to represent the military picture either in GREECE or in YUGOSLAVIA. The state of the Greek Army, particularly as regards its inability to move, was not adequately appreciated, nor was it appreciated that the Yugoslav Army could only last a few days against the German advance.
I feel the strategic situation was well understood by all. Understanding that the Yugoslavian Army would collapse as it did required a crystal ball. The Greek Army's lack of mobility should not have been a surprise.
I understand that Yugoslavia regarded continued access to Salonika as essential, however, I am surprised that they didn't realise that the British couldn't stop the port being closed to them immediately the Germans entered the Italo-Greek war due to the air superiority generated by the Luftwaffe against the weak opposition that the allies would be able to generate in the air.
Just because one might not be able to successfully solve the problem doesn't make the problem less essential. Any long term defense of Yugoslavia requires access to Thessaloniki. Either Yugoslavia acquiesces to German domination or it fights. Any successful fight requires Thessaloniki. Dragan Bakić's article highlights this point. Was Yugoslavia wiling to fight for Thessaloniki? We will never know as that decision didn't arise. The Yugoslavian government's discussions during the events of 1939-1941 indicate that fighting was a strong possibility. The fact that 9 divisions were mobilized in November 1940 to secure Thessaloniki from the Italians indicated that the port city was seen as 'essential'.

Pista! Jeff
Jeff Leser

Infantrymen of the Air

Tom from Cornwall

Post by Tom from Cornwall » 11 Sep 2016, 20:48

I thought this might be of interest:

From WO201/14 - Strategic Importance of Salonika
1A

Telegram from Sir M Palairet, Athens
No 220 to Mr Eden, Foreign Office
R T Rptd Angora No 52 – Cairo for Mice
dated 13th February
despd 14th February (0030)
recd 14th February (1030)
decd 14th February (1300)

IMPORTANT

My telegram No 199.

Turkish Minister for Foreign Affairs has said that Salonica is of vital interest to Turkey. Moreover from our own point of view, if Germans are allowed to establish themselves in Salonica, (?would) they not be able to threaten our bases in Turkey and our lines of communication to that country?

2. Owing to the greater speed with which Germans can act there seem to be only two ways of preventing them reaching Salonica, if they strike soon and Yugoslavia does not fight: (1) a forward move by Turkish Army into Bulgaria directly formed bodies of German troops entered that country; (2) the despatch at that moment of sufficient Turkish forces to Macedonia in support of three Greek Divisions. If Turkish Government are not prepared for the first alternative, could we not press them to make all preparations at once for second? Unfortunately Greek public opinion is becoming increasingly apprehensive of Greeks being left in the lurch by Turkey. Some public statement by the latter to the opposite effect is therefore more necessary than ever to maintain Greek morale.
It would be interesting to see a Turkish source that confirms there appreciation that "Salonica was of vital importance"!

Regards

Tom

Dili

Post by Dili » 12 Sep 2016, 18:51

Salonika was essential because it was the only point of supplies entry. Athens being far requiring even more motorization.

MarkN

Post by MarkN » 17 Sep 2016, 16:21

jwsleser wrote:Mark

>Please do.

Yugoslavia in Crisis, 1934-1941 Jacob B. Hoptner
Yugoslavia's Revolution of 1941 Dragiša N. Ristić,
Germany and Yugoslavia, 1933-1941: the German conquest of Yugoslavia Frank C. Littlefield
Thanks jwsleser.

It's been a long, long time since I read Hoptner and Ristic. I don't recall, when reading them all those years ago, either argueing - or even hinting - that Yugoslavia was prepared to go to war against Germany and/or Italy on Greece's behalf to keep Salonika in Greek hands. Mind you, that particular theme was neither of their central topics, nor my interest at the time of reading. Talk of Salonika was, if memory serves me well, peripheral to both books and the main effort highlighted (albeit indirectly) that Salonika was well down on the list of priorities AND that when it was a subject under discussion, the solution were not the ones that Papagos required or would have even been keen to hear!

Littlefield is not one I've read at all.

I've put out feelers this morning to see if I can lay my hands on some borrowed copies. No luck so far with either Hoptner or Littlefield, but a friend has a copy of Ristic and has offered to scan it for me and send it by email. Good lass!!!

Whilst waiting, could you please point me in the direction of where any of the three indicate that Yugoslavia was prepared to do what Papagos and the Greeks needed:
a) to give up their neutrality
b) to go to war with Germany and/or Italy on Greece's behalf
c) to give up half their country and concentrate their army south east of the Danube-Sava-Drina line to provide the strength of forces that Papagos identified as being required to keep the Germans from outflanking the Metaxas Line and out of Salonika.

Or have I misunderstood where your argument is going now and that, rather than looking for evidence that Papagos and the Greeks were on the right track strategically, all we're doing now is trying to do is ascertain whether Yugoslavia was interested in Salonika or not. Two different things.

jwsleser

Post by jwsleser » 17 Sep 2016, 20:40

Mark
Or have I misunderstood where your argument is going now and that, rather than looking for evidence that Papagos and the Greeks were on the right track strategically, all we're doing now is trying to do is ascertain whether Yugoslavia was interested in Salonika or not. Two different things.
The importance of Thessaloniki to Yugoslavia is discussed in several books (which will likely not be read as part of this discussion, but I can provide the cites), but Woodhouse above and the article linked below highlight that the port was critical to Yugoslavia.
I am not attempting to discuss anything with you Mark.
Jeff Leser

Infantrymen of the Air

Return to “WW2 in Africa & the Mediterranean”