Maps of Allied occupation of Iran

Discussions on WW2 in Africa & the Mediterranean. Hosted by Andy H
DrG

Maps of Allied occupation of Iran

Post by DrG » 07 May 2005, 15:46

While I have seen a few not very detailed maps of the Anglo-Soviet attack of Aug. 1941 (some examples, along with a few photos, in this Italian page: http://www.lasecondaguerramondiale.it/iran.html), I would like to see a map showing the British and the Soviet occupation zones after the Iranian capitulation. Has anybody got it, please? :?

Andy H
Forum Staff

Post by Andy H » 08 May 2005, 19:49

I've been searching and can't find any, but neither can I find mention in any narrative stating such & such's Occupation zone. Maybe where looking for something that didn't exist on such a formal basis.

I've seen 3 districts made mention of in terms of Administration of the aid. They were Port,Desert and Mountain. Port was along the coast and the southern portion of the country. Desert covered central Persia (inc Tehran), whilst Mountian covered those area's to the north and along the Russo/Persia border.

Andy H

DrG

Post by DrG » 08 May 2005, 20:58

Andy, thank you; I remembered a map like the one you have described, I rememeber I saw it in an American official military site, but nothing more.
Anyway, AFAIK in Iran there were both British and Soviet troops, thus I assume there was some kind of delimitation between the two armies. :?

PS Trying to find the map I'm look for, I have found this one: http://www-sul.stanford.edu/depts/brann ... 1/7621.gif. It is rather interesting, because it shows the Iranian transports system in 1943.

Michael Emrys

Post by Michael Emrys » 08 May 2005, 22:21

Just on an off chance, you might try to find the US Army Green Book entitled The Persian Corridor. I have not looked into it, so I don't know if there is anything of what you are looking for or not.

You might start here:

http://www.firstgov.gov/fgsearch/index. ... mit=Search

I suspect the British PRO would have similar documents if you want to spend the time searching for them.

DrG

Post by DrG » 09 May 2005, 01:07

Thank you very much, Grease_Spot, for the link! :) Now I remember where I saw the map mentioned by Andy H (by the way, it is this: http://www.army.mil/cmh/books/wwii/pers ... 1.htm#map3).
Although interesting, it shows only the districts of the US Army in Iran; instead I would be interested to see a map showing the Soviet and British zones, because, given that both the powers were occupying Iran I assume there was a kind of delimitation of the areas: some provinces under the Soviet and others under the British. :?

PS Watching quickly (and tiredly... this Spring is very busy for me... :() these tables http://www.army.mil/cmh/books/wwii/pers ... ndix-a.htm there is a thing that I didn't notice the first time I saw them: almost a half of the supplies sent to USSR passed right under the nose of the neutral (with USSR) Japanese through the Soviet Far East... 8O

Michael Emrys

Post by Michael Emrys » 09 May 2005, 05:02

DrG wrote:...these tables http://www.army.mil/cmh/books/wwii/pers ... ndix-a.htm there is a thing that I didn't notice the first time I saw them: almost a half of the supplies sent to USSR passed right under the nose of the neutral (with USSR) Japanese through the Soviet Far East... 8O
Yep. Interesting thing is, a lot of it was moved in American made ships. Some of the Soviet ships that came to pick up Lend-Lease materials also brought spare crews that manned the Liberty ships that were Lend-Leased to the USSR and loaded with yet other materials.

Ron Klages
In memoriam

Post by Ron Klages » 09 May 2005, 23:19

DrG,

Here is a bit of the history of operations in Iran during WW II.

Since 1939 there were a considerable number of German nationals working in Iran and this number increased after the conclusion of operations in Iraq in May 1941. The Germans were obtaing important positions with the railway and government service and this situation created a great deal o anxiety with the British and Soviet governments.

On 17 August 1941 a joint Anglo-Soviet Note was delivered to the Iranian government demanding the expulsion of Axis personnel forthwith from the country. The response was not favorable and General Wavell was ordered to at once arrange for the southern oil fields to be occupied around Abadan and Ahwaz at the head of the Gulf and also at Khanikin just inside the border with Iraq to the NE of Bagdad. Wavell was also ordered to obtain control of communications through the country aided by the Russians.

This operation was codenamed "Y" under the command of Lt.Gen. E.P. Quinan, the commander in Iraq. Occupation of the southern oil fields was undetaken by the 8. Indian Division while the Royal Navt, Royal Indian Navy and the Royal Australian Navy was to deal with five German and three Italian merchant vessels known to have taken shelter in the harbor at Bandar Shahpur. In the north elements of the 10. Indian Division moved from NE Syria to take part while the 2. Indian and 9. British Armored Brigades would advance across the frontier to Shahabad, 80 miles east of Bagdad. These armored brigades were armored only in name alone and included only a single regiment of light tanks. In casee there was any severe resistence or German intervention, the 5. Indian Division was moved from the western Desert to Iraq while the 6. British Division in Syria was also put on alert.

Operation "Y" commenced on 25 August with 261. Squadron providing fighter support with Hurrianes and Gladiators for the British units. The total RAF component for the operation consisted of 11. Squadron and 84. Squadron with Blenheim IVs based at Shaibah. Also 244 Squadron with Vincents and 'A' Flight of 31 Squadron with Valentia transports was also supporting. The Iranian airforce consisted mostly of bi-planes , Furys and Audaxs .

On Monday, 215 ugust six Valentias from 31 Squadron flew a company of troops to Haft Kel to protect the oil fields there. A naval force, including the carrier HMS Hermes, landed two Indian infantry companies from Basra at Bandar Shahpur and they occupied the Naft-i-Shah oil fields. Of the axis ships located there, 7 were captured and 1 ran aground and was wrecked by the crew. 261. Squadron flew 55 sorties and strafed Ahwaz airfield three times and the Blenheims from 84. Squadron made two bombing raids.

On 26 August 18 sorties were flown by the British fighter and a single Audax was shot down while taking off from its base. The Blenheims were active but only dropping leaflets however in the evening they bombed Iranian positions in the Pai Tak Pass and the Iranians withdrew that evening. On Wednesday, 27 August British troops advanced throught the pass but were held up by defenses at the village of Zibiri on the Kermanshah road. On Thursday, 28 August the Iranian flew the white flag and the next day terms were reached and the troops occupied the oil fields of Kermanshah. IOperation "Y" had cost the British 22 killed and 42 wounded.

Later Anglo forces were sent to Hamadan and a detachment to Senna where first contact was made with Soviet forces from the north. Other Soviet forces were contacted just south of Kazin on 31 August and at Sunbulagh on 7 September.

Despite these operations the Iranians refused to surrender Axis nationals to the Anglo-Soviet forces and on 17 September the Anglo-Soviet forces moved into Tehran and occupied the capital in considerable harmony. A month later a combined parade was held in Tehran on 17 October and soon the Anglo-Soviet forces withdrew. The Soviets to Kazarin and Pahlevi and the Anglo to Sultanabad and Hamadan. They left the control of Tehran under the son of the old Shad who had abdicated in his favor and he was to rule until 1979, and we all know that story.

That about covers the data I have regarding this small but significant aspect of World War II. It was an active but short conflict, first with the Vichy French in Syria then actual German forces in Iraq and then finally in Iran.

Hope this answers some of your questions.

Best regards,

Ron Klages

DrG

Post by DrG » 10 May 2005, 00:20

Ron Klages, thank you for the information regarding the conflict, I don't know some details. The situation after the Iranian surrender isn't described very clearly: only Teheran was under the direct government of the Shah? Or whole Iran except the cities of Kazarin, Pahlevi, Sultanabad and Hamadan? :?

Andy H
Forum Staff

Post by Andy H » 10 May 2005, 00:52

with five German and three Italian merchant vessels known to have taken shelter in the harbor at Bandar Shahpur.
All were captured bar one which was scuttled by its crew. One would presume that they were then used by the Allies in one form or another

Andy H

Ron Klages
In memoriam

Some more

Post by Ron Klages » 10 May 2005, 07:04

DrG,

I believe that the Shah pretty much ran the country and insured oil to the Anglo-Soviet alliance. Later when the US go into the war then much lend lease went through Iran and as the report reference above, The Persian Corridor notes that Iran labor and facilities were utilized for assembly of vehicles that were then given to the Soviets. I believe that at one time there was nearly 30,000 US military personnel located in Iran during the war. Of course this relationship was to exist until 1979.

Best regards,

Ron Klages

Michael Emrys

Post by Michael Emrys » 10 May 2005, 08:40

DrG wrote:Thank you very much, Grease_Spot, for the link!
BTW, that whole website is a mine of information about the US Army, in case you aren't familiar with it.

DrG

Post by DrG » 10 May 2005, 21:53

Yes, I'm quite familiar with that site, but thank you for the suggestion; the only problem is that it doesn't work very often, I don't know if it happens only to me or also to other ones here in Italy... :?

Again about Iran, it would be useful to know if there was a kind of treaty or something similar telling what were the powers of the Shah and what of the Anglo-Soviet. For example, in Ethiopia the treaty of 31 March 1942 left some areas (Ogaden, Harar, a strip along the Addis Abeba - Djibuti railroad) to the British military administration, while the rest of the country was under the Ethiopian civil administration.

DrG

Re: Maps of Allied occupation of Iran

Post by DrG » 22 Jul 2016, 19:12

More than 11 years after the beginning of this thread, I am still looking for a clear map of the Soviet and British occupation zones in Iran. Has anybody got one?
In the last decade I have found just three different maps and none is consistent with the other ones:
- a divulgative map printed in Canada during WW2:
- a map from an Italian atlas printed in 1942 ("I fronti di guerra: visione geografico-militare degli avvenimenti, 1 settembre 1939-dicembre 1941", Vallardi, 1942):
- a map from the back endpaper of the 6th volume of the MGFA "Germany and the Second World War" (see the detail in the attached file):
Attachments
Iran.jpg
Iran.jpg (48.48 KiB) Viewed 1940 times

Return to “WW2 in Africa & the Mediterranean”