A film in English On the Beginning of Poland
http://www.filmpolski.pl/fp/index.php?film=4224931
An edited Google translation:
ISLAND Rulers

A documentary - fictionalized (ed: ?)
Production: Poland
Year of production: 2012
Colour, 45 min

The title is Ostrow Lednicki, Island of Rulers, lying between Gniezno and Poznań, which was one of the residences of Mieszko I and Boleslaw the Brave (ed: first rulers of poland). The film presents its history from the beginning of the construction of a prince's residence on the island (the second half of the tenth century), to the invasion of Wielkopolska, and the destruction of the castle by the Czech prince Břetislav (c. 1038.).
Scenes from the prologue of the film present the State of Mieszko I as a historic breakthrough; existing pagan beliefs replaced by the Christian Faith, caused by the will of the Polanian Prince. One of the most important tasks in the plan was the construction of a new fortress, containing within the walls, sacred structures, churches and chapels, and the residencial palace of the Ruler. [TVP]

Piotr Kapuscinski
Host - Allied sections

Re: Beginning of Poland, in English

Post by Piotr Kapuscinski » 10 Dec 2015, 13:23

Very nice documentary. BTW - just as a curiosity for our British users:

Queen Elisabeth II is also descended from Mieszko I - through at least 2 lineages.

I've made a genealogical tree from Mieszko to Elisabeth showing them:

(click the image to view it in full size):
Mieszko to Elisabeth.png
There are words which carry the presage of defeat. Defence is such a word. What is the result of an even victorious defence? The next attempt of imposing it to that weaker, defender. The attacker, despite temporary setback, feels the master of situation.

Return to “Other eras”