Prince Rupert and the city of Liverpool

Discussions on other historical eras.
The_Enigma

Prince Rupert and the city of Liverpool

Post by The_Enigma » 30 Dec 2009, 04:15

When i was in senior school (about 12-13 at the time) the class was informed one day, by our history teacher, that during the First English Civil War Prince Rupert had to flee the country following defeat and did so via underground tunnels, entered via Rupert’s Tunnel in Everton Park (the famed tower on the Everton FC crest (am an LFC fan btw!)), to the docks. It seems that a similar story has also been heard by a few fellow scousers who are considerably older than me.

Now there are a few problems with this story:

A) The tower was built as a little jail (not a armoury as also claimed by the history teacher) about 150 years after the end of the Third English Civil War.
B) Rupert apparently surrendered to the Parliamentarian forces and was banished so there was no fleeing; all of which took place, i believe, near Bristol which has the entire of Wales between it and Liverpool.

So is there any Civil War/Prince Rupert/Liverpool know it alls on this forum that could possibly shed some light on just what the hell this guy was banging on about when he decided to tell us this little story; any truth to anything he told us?

It has been something that has puzzled me quite a bit as i have found out more about the Civil War and Rupert’s role (not that much tbh) in it and how it doesn’t match the above mentioned story, so any help would be very much appreciated.

Cheers,

Carl

liverhistory

Re: Prince Rupert and the city of Liverpool

Post by liverhistory » 03 Feb 2015, 22:50

Prince Rupert's involvement with Liverpool is steeped more in myth than reality.

He was in Liverpool and arrived with 10,000 men army. He was responsible for the seige of Liverpool Castle
in which the original Liverbird 'seal' was lost.

No-one will every know the truth about his pet dog, pet monkey, and treasure buried in tunnels, but it makes for great scouse-story telling.

Check out this new Liverpool History website, which gives a cartoon version of Prince Rupert's visit to Liverpool during the civil war.

http://historyofliverpool.com/civil-war-ks3-history/

Return to “Other eras”