Inca weapons, any interest?

Discussions on other historical eras.
Arto O

Re: Inca weapons, any interest?

Post by Arto O » 16 Feb 2012, 03:32

Hi LWD,
Unluckily there isn´t really no drawings from Inca times. There are mentions about "tablas", somekind of drawings over wood, but none survived and we don´t really how they looked like or what was on them.
Only existing are the "keros", wooden ceremonial cups, where incas draw their history. The problem is that there are also many "keros" from spanish times. The following are from Maria Rostworowski´s book "Incas". And there is no mention what period they are.
For me the man in the middle is carrying a long bole "porra" decorted by red bunch of strings in a similar manner european weapons were. By the way how you call this bunch of strings. In his hand is hanging a sling
QUERO.jpg
Here detailed reproduction of a drawing in "kero" about the battle between incas and chancas. There are spears, which a big cloths hanging on them, The man (upper part, right) wearing a yellow headdress is having an "alabarda": decorted with feathers (upper part of the weapon, red colored) and below the axe are the bunch of strings (gray colored) . The man who is carried in a chair (probable the inca himself is carrying a long poled "porra" with feathers and string decoration. The man carrying a head in his hand is probably carrying a spear. In the lower part there is a man under a monkey carrying a four pointed "porra"?
QUERO1.jpg
Here another one: The man at left is carrying a long poled "porra", but if one looks carefully, we can observe the "spikes" again on the top of the it.
QUERO2.jpg

Arto O

Post by Arto O » 16 Feb 2012, 03:36

Hi, for some reason the message was dublicated. The text with drawings on the previous page (4)

timebandit

Post by timebandit » 31 Aug 2013, 20:34

Arto O wrote:Thanks LWD and David for your interesting information. Here I send photos of the porra" I found more than a week ago. It seems that there is no antimonio in it, I was just handeling few minutes before and ...... ARGGGGG :lol:
Plus a a page from Maria Rostworowski´s book: Incas.
Cheers
Arto
6.JPG
7.JPG
11.JPG
Hello Arto,

New member and was interested in your conversations regarding Inca weapons. Please let me know if "History of the Inca Realm" is the book that you photographed and named Incas by Maria Rostworowski.
Thank you
Bill

Arto O

Post by Arto O » 01 Sep 2013, 16:26

Hi Timebandit,
The mentioned book was published in a serie called "Enciclopedia tematica del Peru", in this case called "Incas" by Maria Rostworowski by the most important newspaper of Peru "El Comercio". So a serie of books of 150-200 pages sold together with a newspaper and only in newsstands. So no wonder you cannot find it as a book. Okei, it is spanish language only. If you are really interested and can read spanish, I can try to look for it in places where they sell used books.
with best regards
Arto

timebandit

Post by timebandit » 02 Sep 2013, 00:20

Arto,
Thank you so much for replying. I'm very interested in Andean history and cultures. I was born in Ecuador but raised in the US and speak little spanish but would welcome any information that would further my understandings. I would appreciate if you could locate me a copy in any format (xerox copies, etc.) If not too much bother. And of course pay you. I'm also a collector and wish to show you a piece if you're interested. You would have to advise me to how I would attach the image here or send me an email to address you personaly.
muchas gracias,
Bill
Wait i think i found the attachment button. I just tried an its telling my its a invalid image. Maybe because i'm a new member ?

Arto O

Post by Arto O » 05 Sep 2013, 03:31

Hi Timebandit,
I sent you a PM asking for your e-mail address. Did you got it?
Arto

timebandit

Post by timebandit » 05 Sep 2013, 03:59

No, i did not receive it. But, you can use [email protected]
Thank you

Return to “Other eras”