Imperial Russian Navy

Discussions on other historical eras.
AJK

Imperial Russian Navy

Post by AJK » 28 Dec 2013, 01:15

While researching the pre-WWI Imperial Russian Navy, I have frequently come across admirals who were appointed as "junior flagman" or "senior flagman" of a fleet. Can someone please explain the significance of these appointments? Woud Junior Flagman be a Deputy C-in-C, and a Senior Flagman the C-in-C of the fleet to which they were assigned?

Thanks very much for your help.

AJK

Globalization41

Re: Imperial Russian Navy

Post by Globalization41 » 03 Jan 2014, 10:19

Flag Officer

Excerpts:

"A flag officer is a commissioned officer in a nation's armed forces senior enough to be entitled to fly a flag to mark the position from which the officer exercises command."

"The generic title of flag officer is used in several modern navies and associated units to denote those who hold the rank of rear admiral (or its equivalent) and above, also called 'flag ranks'; in some navies, this also includes the rank of commodore."

History of Russian Military Ranks

I typed the "control" key and the "f" key for a "find" function on the second link and typed in "flagman" and it locked on several times.

Globalization41.

AJK

Re: Imperial Russian Navy

Post by AJK » 03 Jan 2014, 17:17

Thank you for you response, however, I am well aware of the definition of a flag officer, and also of the rank of flagman in the pre-WWII Soviet navy. My query is specific to the position (not rank) of flagman in the Imperial Russian Navy. The officers who held the position of junior or senior flagman were already rear-admirals or vice-admirals when they were appointed to the flagman (флагман) position.

AJK

Return to “Other eras”