Greatest soldier of all time

Discussions on other historical eras.
mike262752

Re: quote from Hitler

Post by mike262752 » 14 Apr 2002, 08:15

Ovidius wrote:, "If I ever was to have a son, I would like him to be like you." - Adolf Hitler to Leon Degrelle 8)
Hitler said something similar regarding Hans-Ulrich Rudel.

Ovidius

Post by Ovidius » 14 Apr 2002, 10:45

About Rudel !?

And what did he say, exactly?

~Ovidius

Victor

Post by Victor » 14 Apr 2002, 12:06

Ovidius wrote:
The Mongols were the best organized and disciplined army of their time, advancing almost as fast as the 20th century mechanized armies, but their logistic system lacked almost totally, their economic basis being the pillaging. Not very smart.
Don’t confuse the Mongols of the Mongol Empire in the 13th century with the ones that raided Eastern Europe later in the Middle Ages, also known as Tatars.
A Mongol tumen (division) of 10,000 men was almost self-sufficient. Each rider had about four remounts. They had with herds of livestock. For fuel they used dried animal droppings. You would be surprised of the Mongols’ efficiency. A good article on them would be the one in the December 1996 national Geographic issue.

Gwynn Compton

Post by Gwynn Compton » 14 Apr 2002, 13:30

In this I firmly concur with the respected historian John Keegan, who in his book "The First World War" describes the ANZAC soldiers of Australia and New Zealand as the best infantry of the 20th century.

Even Rommel agreed. He is reported to have made some comment that with an army of New Zealanders he could have conquered the world :)

Fred

Post by Fred » 14 Apr 2002, 15:06

I just wonder why nothing is said about the Brittish SAS or The French Foregion legion??? They are in my view the best soldiers in modern history .

Fred.

Oswald Mosley

Post by Oswald Mosley » 16 Apr 2002, 23:16

This poll is pathetic!

What about Caesar's Romans? Alexander's Greek/Macedonian army? Napoleon's Imperial Guards? I could go on and on.

I wouldn't count the Vikings as soldiers, more like pirates!

I also reject the idea that you can single out any group of soldiers throughout human history as the best. In WW2 the Waffen SS panzer divisions were the best (1st, 2nd, 3rd, 5th, 9th, 10th, 12th) - no doubt at all in my mind. But others SS units were not of this quality.

mike262752

Post by mike262752 » 17 Apr 2002, 04:30

Oswald Mosley wrote:This poll is pathetic!

What about Caesar's Romans? Alexander's Greek/Macedonian army? Napoleon's Imperial Guards? I could go on and on.

I wouldn't count the Vikings as soldiers, more like pirates!

I also reject the idea that you can single out any group of soldiers throughout human history as the best. In WW2 the Waffen SS panzer divisions were the best (1st, 2nd, 3rd, 5th, 9th, 10th, 12th) - no doubt at all in my mind. But others SS units were not of this quality.
I think favorite would be a better term, I think most people go with that anyways.

mike262752

Post by mike262752 » 17 Apr 2002, 04:33

Ovidius wrote:About Rudel !?

And what did he say, exactly?

~Ovidius
I cant remember the exact quote. If I find it again i'll tell you. It was similar to "If I ever was to have a son, I would like him to be like you" though.

mike

MVSNConsolegenerale

Umm...aren't you forgetting something?

Post by MVSNConsolegenerale » 24 Apr 2002, 06:40

The Roman Legion?

Come on, the greatest empire in Europe ever, if not the greatest empire on the entire planet - had to have somewhat effective soldiers. At the pinnicle of territorial expansion, the Axis was the size the Roman Empire at it's own pinnicle. And the Germans were not able to hold onto that for more than a year and a half! The Roman Armies defended their territories for hundreds of years.

And I know you are all going to laugh at this...but the Italian Marine equivalent was worth mentioning. Single soldiers were responsible for sinking entire battleships!

Also about the Rommel statement about the Australians...just point out he considered the canadians among them. A bit of National pride there. :)

Vimy Ridge? Any of you heard of Vimy Ridge. Both the Americans and British almost broke their armies trying to take it...Canadains took it on their first try with an invasion force less than half what others were using to take it. German Generals afterwhich ignored the Canadians army in fear, and the Canadian divisions spearheaded the drive which scared the Germans into surrendering.

Galahad

Re: Vimy Ridge

Post by Galahad » 24 Apr 2002, 09:38

When was the US Army involved with Vimy Ridge?!?!?!? The Meuse-Argonne, I thought, was a bit further south, as was St Mihiel.

MVSNConsolegenerale

RE: Apology

Post by MVSNConsolegenerale » 24 Apr 2002, 21:44

Yes, sorry...the Americans never tried for Vimy Ridge. It was purely commonwealth countries.

I should have looked it up first.

Scanderbeg

Post by Scanderbeg » 25 Apr 2002, 06:41

Angelo,
Alexander the Great was Macedonian. Not Greek.

Anyway I voted for Waffen-SS. I don't think any comments are necessary.

Besian

VHaist

The Romans

Post by VHaist » 26 Apr 2002, 05:15

Fridolin, in the old EzBoard forum, already answered this question. I couldn't do better:

"But if one has to choose a single Army (not just an elite unit within an Army), there is in my opninion no doubt about who wins the first prize:

Roman Army, 2nd century BC-mid 2nd century AD

-Excellent overall, not just single units
-Excellent logistics
-Good at siege warfare, pitched battles and extended operations, both in summer and, if necessary, in winter.
-Consistently defeated a great variety of enemies, from infantry (e.g. macedonian pikemen) to cavalry armies (e.g. Persian), from professionals (e.g. Zama) to fierce warbands (e.g. Celtiberians or Germans). Occasionally defeated, in the end always prevailed."

I can't understand why Mr. Douville hasn't even included the Romans in the list... maybe because he's watching too much Asterix on TV :lol:

Galahad

Re: the french

Post by Galahad » 26 Apr 2002, 12:03

Possibly it's cause the French tend to downgrade the armies that have defeated them? <ig>

Tiwaz

Post by Tiwaz » 26 Apr 2002, 12:27

Thunderstruck wrote:Holy cow, the ignorance flies, West Point indeed.

Probably true but I'll put the Marines up against anybody else any day. After all the streets of Heaven are guarded by United States Marines. The Marine Corp is all about discipline. My Dad has been out for 35 years and still is a Marine. How many Waffen SS can say that?

Steve
Streets of Heaven guarded by US marines? You been there and seen it? I would equally much believe that they are guarded by Waffen-SS or Mongol horde.

Oh yeah. My vote would go to Roman legions.

Return to “Other eras”