Roman Feodorovich von Ungern-Sternberg...who was this guy???

Discussions on other historical eras.
Eddy Marz

Post by Eddy Marz » 03 Jul 2007, 18:11

Pity; thanks J
Eddy

Eddy Marz

Post by Eddy Marz » 06 Jul 2007, 18:00

More details about Ungern Khan and Semenov:

In August 1914, Roman Von Ungern Sternberg was engaged in fighting in eastern Prussia with the 1st Russian Army commanded by Cossack general Pavel Carlovitch Rennenkampf (an Estonian noble of German descent, related to Ungern). Rennenkampf ordered a retreat to break out of a trap, saved his army, but was chased out by the Germans. Ungern moved into Galicia (still part of the Austro-Hungarian Empire) where he is credited with heroic conduct. Paradoxically, he was fighting Austria, the country where he was born. Then, in 1915, he moved into the Carpathian Mountains. Germany had moved in there as well to shoulder their Austrian allies; although Russian troops outnumbered them, they lacked decent equipment and sufficient ammunition. Ungern was attached to the Nertchinsk Cossack Regiment, one of the composing elements of the prestigious Oussuri Cossack Division, and headed Squadron 6, under Colonel Wrangel’s command.

Ungern and Wrangel had extremely different temperaments and personalities. Wrangel was very conscious of ‘posterity’, of his rank, and tended to ‘pose’ in his memoirs like he did for the photographs that represent him. To Wrangel, the fact that Ungern ate, slept and lived with his men was bizarre and unnatural. Ungern, of course, couldn’t have cared less about his image.

Ungern was wounded five times; awarded the Cross of the Order of Saint George (which Wrangel considered “a soldier’s ultimate reward”), the Saint Vladimir and Saint Stanislaus Medals. War was his element, his reason for living, his ‘remedy’ to boredom. He would get ‘drunk on danger’ (ref: Ossendowski), and claimed to ‘love war like others love women, wine or gambling’.

In 1917, shortly after the start of the Revolution, Ungern joined up with ‘Ataman’ Semenov in Manchuria, to fight the Bolsheviks. But he had almost certainly met him before, in Mongolia. Period testimonies all point to Semenov’s cruelty, cupidity or, at least, that of his officers. Semenov set up his HQ in Tchita, in the city’s most luxurious hotel: “The Select”. Tchita had become a ‘garrison town’, with an uninterrupted flow of soldiers and Cossacks riding through it, occupying restaurants, streets, and tea-houses. This of course brought in large quantities of prostitutes as well.

Semenov’s most formidable assets were his famous armored trains, of which he had four: “The Avenger”, “The Cruel”, “The Death Dealer”, and “The Ataman”. They were painted black, and equipped with canons and machine guns on all sides. These trains were the ‘lock mechanism’ on the last region held by White Russians – a few square miles in and around the Trans-Siberian line. The trains would make an outing each week and whenever a village or town hadn’t paid up its ‘contribution’ (in cash or gold), the mayor and ten townsfolk would be executed. Hung or disemboweled corpses were left to rot all along the railway line. Those suspected of collaboration with the Bolsheviks were whipped inside the trains.

As the tale goes, the only person capable of persuading Semenov to occasional mercy was Mashka, his lover, an ex cabaret dancer of gypsy origin. She apparently saved many men from a gruesome death. Semenov was sadistic and rough but in no way ignorant. He spoke Russian, Buriat, Mongol, and apparently a little English. He left behind memoirs and poems, and had knowledge of Lamaism. He was also a member of the Kharbine Orientalist Society. He was the one to propose to Kerenski (the War minister) the creation of a Buriat Volunteer Division. His idea was considered interesting and he was sent to Transbaïkaal to put it into action. This was the starting point of his rapid rise in military hierarchy.

Once in Transbaïkaal, Semenov immediately promoted Ungern Major-general in command of the Mongol cavalry. These very undisciplined, savage and brutal men were all members of the Kharatshine tribe, united around prince Fachenga. The armies of Semenov and Ungern were not large, but very mobile and professional, and pulled off a series of rapid victories against the Bolsheviks right up into February 1918, when they entered Daouria.

Three more pics:

- Ungern in cadet school
- Aboard one of Semenov's trains
- A stamp to the effigy of Baron Ungern (from the Urga period)

Cheers
Eddy
Attachments
Stamp.jpg
Stamp.jpg (28.15 KiB) Viewed 4490 times
Train.jpg
Train.jpg (49.05 KiB) Viewed 4490 times
Ungern#1.jpg
Ungern#1.jpg (56.59 KiB) Viewed 4490 times

Balrog

Post by Balrog » 07 Jul 2007, 07:19

I've been doing some research on Semenov.

Have you ever been able to find a copy of his memoir, "O Bebe"(sp?) in English?

I've read about him ruling in "barbaric splendor"? Do you have any details on that? Was he trying to set himself up as some kind of monarch(Ataman of the Transbaikal Cossack Host) with the support of the Japanese?

Whatever happened to his gypsy lover? Did he have children?

I know he was on the Japanese army's payroll for a long time , but what did he do exactly during WW 2?

How was he captured by the Soviets?

Eddy Marz

Post by Eddy Marz » 09 Jul 2007, 12:22

Hi;

No, I never found a copy of his memoirs (I haven’t looked into Semenov as extensively as I did for Ungern). I don’t have any more details about his Gypsy lover either; most of the info about her his extremely thin and anecdotic. I have no info either about children; nothing impossible of course, but no data.

About “reigning with Barbaric Splendor”:

As with Ungern, Semenov’s story has suffered from a dense mix of fact, literary embellishments as well as demonizing, and wild imagination. Much of what we know about him is the result of testimonies from occasional witnesses, passers-by, and people whose interest it was to show him under such or such a light. So we can probably say that a good many details about him, as for Ungern, probably find their source in truth but to what extent remains open to discussion. There’s the romantic legend, plentiful and fanciful (as with Ungern), and there’s the historical data, thin and fragmentary. Talking about his ‘reigning’ may be a bit over the top as the areas he ‘reigned upon’ were relatively small. Just like Ungern, and, to another degree, Dja-Lama, Semenov believed in the ‘liberating power of peoples’, had both a great (and genuine) love for the populations of Asia, and the will to create a vast empire regrouping Russian Buriats and Mongolians. Semenov was very wealthy, was ‘supported’ and lavishly financed by the Japanese (and French and British – to a lesser degree), but was also famous for killing and robbing rich travelers, plundering warehouses, ruthlessly and murderously ‘taxing’ the population, burning their houses, raping their women, and for claiming at least 600.000 gold-Rubles from Koltchak’s ‘gold-train’. His ambitions, however, were generally welcomed by both Buriats and Mongols who were deeply intent on gaining their independence and regularly burned the portraits of the Czar as well as those of Lenin. Only the Outer Mongolia chieftains from Khalkha, were distrustful of Semenov’s troops and refused to join the movement. During the February 1919 ‘Pan-Mongol Congress’ (see earlier post), Semenov played a central role. He was voted ‘Counselor’, dubbed ‘Prince of Royal Blood’ and received two presents: a white horse and a white mink. The goal of the congress was to unify the Mongols “as in days of Genghis Khan”, and to create a strong state, capable of resisting both the Russians and the Chinese. An attempt was made at constituting a provisional government with four ministries: War, Finance, Interior, and Foreign affairs. This future state was to include certain regions of Transbaïkaal, Khalka, the Kobdo region, Uriankhaï region and interior Mongolia. The ultimate goal being, of course, a united and strong Mongolia stretching from Lake Baïkal to Tibet. It is important to note that this plan found the approval of a number of important members of the Japanese military cast who saw the creation of an Asiatic State as a powerful instrument to limit Russian and Chinese power. But it is also important to note that Semenov’s impression of being a ‘ruler’ was certainly a figment of his imagination. A powerful ‘Warlord’ he certainly was, but nevertheless a puppet in the hands of the Japanese who tolerated him as an important pawn in their Russian politics, and without whose financing and support he wouldn’t have gotten anywhere. His ‘rule’ was violent; he was (like Ungern) fiercely ‘Anti-Jewish’ (as opposed to ‘Anti-Semite’), as to him (and Ungern) the Jews were disseminators of Bolshevism. It is important to note the difference between the two concepts, as the idea of a ‘Jewish Race’ didn’t hold any meaning, either for Semenov or Ungern. This is more or less confirmed by the persistent (and very probable) rumor that Semenov distributed the Protocols of the Elders of Zion to the Japanese soldiers and officers.

Semenov became famous for a while, and appeared in Chinese, European, and American newspaper articles that spoke of him as the ‘Siberian Napoleon’, the ‘Cossack who wished to reinstate Genghis Khan’s Empire’, but Admiral Kolchak firmly opposed the plan to separate the Buriats from Russia. As a result, Semenov refused to recognize Kolchak’s authority when the latter was promoted commander of the White forces. Matters got worse when Semenov began plundering White military transports to his own ends; Kolchak accused him of treason.

As said in an earlier post, the Japanese didn’t appreciate Kolchak and therefore supported Semenov. At this point, one can probably hypothesize that Semenov – with Japanese finance and strategic support – felt secure enough to counter the White forces and that his final goal suddenly emerges, not as the restoration of the Russian Empire, but in the creation of a new State, of which he would be the unquestioned leader. This is also where the similarity with Ungern’s vision stops. As Ungern told Ossendowsky: “We hope to awaken all of Mongolia and, with its help, to bring back God’s reign on earth… I like to think that, in a small way, I contributed to this task by liberating Mongolia”. As we can see, Ungern’s project was similar to Semenov’s but, contrary to the latter, had given it a near-mystical moral dimension, and in no way looked to become the “Khan” of this future Asiatic State. In November or December 1920, the Red Army forced Semenov out of Transbaïkaal. He tried regrouping but eventually fled from Russia altogether in 1921. From then on, he lived in different places, Manchuria, Japan, and even the USA (Boston or Washington), although the authorities quickly expelled him for seditious or violent behavior. He then lived in Northern China and Japan again. During WW2 he was very much involved with the Japanese Secret Service who used him again as an ‘expert’ in Russian affairs, and as an ‘agent provocateur’ in Manchuria, where the Red Army eventually caught up with him. I don’t have any details as to the exact nature of his relations with the Japanese Secret Service, nor as to the precise circumstances of his arrest.

An interesting anecdote:

Fresh evidence from official White Russian records, which were kept secret but never destroyed, were uncovered in the mid-70’s. They had been ‘missing’ since the early 20’s. The original documents were never made public, not necessarily for conspiratorial reasons but because time passed, men died, and files went astray. Scraps of these originals were traced, not in the USSR, but from dusty archives in Paris to as far as unsorted archives in the USA (California). One of the documents considered trustworthy was not an actual report, but a book written by Nikolaï Sokolov, a monarchist, and the last investigator to be in charge of the enquiry into the Czar’s murder. In late summer 1919, the military situation forced Sokolov to close down his investigation at Ekaterinburg. He left the town in the second week of July, traveled to White headquarters at Omsk and stayed there a month. Then, on his way to the Far East, Sokolov stopped at Tchita, Semenov’s headquarters. There, Semenov accused him of purposely concealing information that the Czar and his family were still alive. Sokolov ran into such hostility from Semenov that he feared his life was threatened and fled from Tchita in a panic, helped by a British officer, Captain Bainsmith. Bainsmith, who was traced in Cornwall in 1975, recalled having arranged for a train to remove Sokolov, who was by then “in a very nervous and apprehensive state of mind”.

3 Pics :
- Ferdinand Ossendowsky (who knew Ungern in Urga)
- A group of Semenov’s men
- A street in Urga

Cheers
Eddy
Attachments
Urga.jpg
Urga.jpg (41.7 KiB) Viewed 4428 times
Troops.jpg
Troops.jpg (43.31 KiB) Viewed 4429 times
Ossendowsky.jpg
Ossendowsky.jpg (29.39 KiB) Viewed 4428 times

Eddy Marz

Post by Eddy Marz » 13 Jul 2007, 14:58

A few more pics which may be of interest :

- Roman Von Ungern Sternberg, as an adolescent.

- The Von Ungern Sternberg shield

- General Pavel Carlovitch Rennenkampf, commander of the 1st Russian Army during WW1, and a relative of Ungern.

Cheers
Eddy Marz
Attachments
Rennenkempf.jpg
Rennenkempf.jpg (39.97 KiB) Viewed 4371 times
Heraldry.jpg
Heraldry.jpg (55.03 KiB) Viewed 4372 times
Ungern.jpg
Ungern.jpg (15.77 KiB) Viewed 4369 times

Eddy Marz

Post by Eddy Marz » 13 Jul 2007, 15:00

And here's one of General Wrangel...

EM
Attachments
Wrangel.jpg
Wrangel.jpg (69.63 KiB) Viewed 4367 times

R

Post by R » 18 Aug 2007, 07:04

Hello,

I believe the Kuzmin books both include a summary in English, but I have not seen them yet, I hope to obtain them in the coming months. The second volume comprises 2 sets of memoirs, one previously unpublished.

Eddy's posts seem to be based mainly on Sablé's book, if I recall correctly, however , there a couple of points that may be addressed:

It would appear that Ungern, did in fact, marry a Manchu - not Chinese - princess. This is according to Leonid Yuzéfovitch's book, but he does not cite most of his sources. It's available online as an ebook in Russian, at: http://militera.lib.ru/bio/yuzefovich/
and has also been translated into French.

Vladimir Pozner's fictional biography 'Le Mors au Dents', (translated into English as 'The Bloody Baron", but very rare now) seems to be responsible for the stories about Ungen's murdered wife and children, I think, despite the fact that he conducted a quite thorough investigation at the time, and managed to interview some relations of Ungern's in Paris, who denied he was ever married. I don't recall if Krauthoff's book makes the same claim. Make of that what you will...

There are quite a few sources of reliable (ie eyewitness) information available online, but most people seem to be content with the fables propagated by the likes of Rhys Hughes, Hugo Pratt, and I've even come across a highly negative (and misinformed) biography of the Baron - for children! Ossendowski's book, available online also, needs to be read with a pinch of salt.

A minimum of research and competence is required to even approach a subject such as this, with material being in half a dozen languages or so, or in archives, rare books and so forth. - Of course, it goes without saying that anything written on so controversial a subject needs to be carefuly weighed and considered...

I may have some time next week to include additional information to some of the issues raised.

In the meantime, hats off to Eddy for his patience in translating and writing those extensive posts, as well as including the pictures.
Last edited by R on 25 Aug 2007, 05:04, edited 1 time in total.

R

Post by R » 23 Aug 2007, 17:39

"The baron was Buddhist, and had lived for many years in Mongolia. Now he announced to his troops, numbering some twelve hundred and fifty, that they were going into Mongolia to liberate the country of his faith from the Chinese yoke. He accused the Chinese of being Reds, or at least of playing into the hands of Russian communists. Secretly he entertained another idea - that of carving an empire for himself out of Mongolia, Manchuria and Transbaikalia. Then in the future he hoped to lead his Central Asiatic Empire against Europe, as Genghis Khan had done."

- Dmitri Alioshin, Asian Odyssey, 1940.

"I have spent all my life in war or in the study and learning of Buddhism. My grandfather brought Buddhism to us from India and my father and I accepted and professed it. In Transbaikalia I tried to form the order of Military Buddhists for an uncompromising fight against the depravity of revolution."
[...]
"Depravity of revolution! . . . Has anyone ever thought of it besides the French philosopher, Bergson, and the most learned Tashi
Lama in Tibet?"
[...]
"In the Buddhistic and ancient Christian books we read stern predictions about the time when the war between the good and evil
spirits must begin. Then there must come the unknown 'Curse' which will conquer the world, blot out culture, kill morality and destroy
all the people. Its weapon is revolution. During every revolution the previously experienced intellect-creator will be replaced by
the new rough force of the destroyer. He will place and hold in the first rank the lower instincts and desires. Man will be
farther removed from the divine and the spiritual. The Great War proved that humanity must progress upward toward higher ideals; but
then appeared that Curse which was seen and felt by Christ, the Apostle John, Buddha, the first Christian martyrs, Dante, Leonardo
da Vinci, Goethe and Dostoyevsky. It appeared, turned back the wheel of progress and blocked our road to the Divinity. Revolution
is an infectious disease and Europe making the treaty with Moscow deceived itself and the other parts of the world. The Great Spirit
put at the threshold of our lives Karma, who knows neither anger nor pardon. He will reckon the account, whose total will be
famine, destruction, the death of culture, of glory, of honor and of spirit, the death of states and the death of peoples. I see
already this horror, this dark, mad destruction of humanity."
[...]
I was telling you that I wanted to found an order of military Buddhists in Russia. For what? For the protection of the processes of evolution of humanity
and for the struggle against revolution, because I am certain that evolution leads to the Divinity and revolution to bestiality.
[...]
"During the War we saw the gradual corruption of the Russian army and foresaw the treachery of Russia to the Allies as well as the
approaching danger of revolution. To counteract this latter a plan was formed to join together all the Mongolian peoples which had not
forgotten their ancient faiths and customs into one Asiatic State, consisting of autonomous tribal units, under the moral and
legislative leadership of China, the country of loftiest and most ancient culture. Into this State must come the Chinese, Mongols,
Tibetans, Afghans, the Mongol tribes of Turkestan, Tartars, Buriats, Kirghiz and Kalmucks. This State must be strong,
physically and morally, and must erect a barrier against revolution and carefully preserve its own spirit, philosophy and individual
policy. If humanity, mad and corrupted, continues to threaten the Divine Spirit in mankind, to spread blood and to obstruct moral
development, the Asiatic State must terminate this movement decisively and establish a permanent, firm peace. This propaganda
even during the War made splendid progress among the Turkomans, Kirghiz, Buriats and Mongols."

- Ferdinand Ossendowski, Beasts, Men and Gods, 1922.

One of Alioshin's former classmates, Nikolay Chernov, now an officer in Ungern's division, makes the following statement:

"The whole world is rotten. Greed, hatred and cruelty are in the saddle. We intend to organize a new empire; a new civilization. It will be called the Middle Asiatic Buddhist Empire, carved out of Mongolia, Manchuria and Eastern Siberia.Communication has already been established for that purpose with Djan-Zo-Lin, the warlord of Manchuria, and with Hutukhta, the Living Buddha of Mongolia. Here in these historic plains we will organize an army as powerful as that of Genghis Khan. Then we will move, as that great man did, and smash the whole of Europe. The world must die so that a new and better world may come forth, reincarnated on a higher plane."

And finally, a firsthand description of the Baron:

"Here, for the first time, I saw the baron, and never regretted that I had not seen him before.
He was tall and slim, with the lean white face of an ascetic. His watery blue eyes were steady and piercing. He possessed a dangerous power of reading people's thoughts. A firm will and unshakable determination were in those eyes to such an extent that they suggested ominous insanity. I felt a cold shiver run up my back when I saw them. He had unusually long hands and an abnormally small head resting on a pair of large shoulders. His broad forehead bore a terrible sword cut which pulsed with red veins. His white lips were closed tightly and long blond whiskers hung in disorder over his narrow chin. One eye was a little above the other. He was dressed in a dirty papaha, a short Chinese silk jacket of a cherry-red color, blue military breeches and high Buriat riding boots. In his right hand he held his famous bamboo whip; otherwise he was unarmed."

---
Eyewitness accounts from 2 of the most influential books concerning Baron von Ungern Sternberg. I will add some notes on these texts and additional information at a later date, time allowing.
Last edited by R on 25 Aug 2007, 09:37, edited 1 time in total.

R

Post by R » 25 Aug 2007, 06:47

Firstly, to put paid some persistent rumours:

Rhys Hughes' piece of fiction - largely derived from Alioshin's account - represents an "attempt to complete an unfinished series of "fictional essays" by Borges. " Questions of literary merit (or plagiarism...) aside, being the most reproduced text on Ungern on the internet in English, it is responsible for most of the inanities repeated by the non-discerning web-surfers too lazy to do even a little research. ( http://www.uri.edu/artsci/english/clf/n6_a2.html )

Hughes himself says:

"I have been working on A NEW UNIVERSAL HISTORY OF INFAMY for many years now. In fact it's finally nearly finished! I wanted to match Borges's original as closely as possible. One technique I have employed is to do careful research on my subjects but also to treat rumours about these subjects as if they are hard facts... The results are peculiar and absurd and highly inventive, but not quite fiction. "
( http://www.nightshadebooks.com/discus/m ... 1103684722 )

Now, the thorny problem of the historical accuracy and veracity of the accounts of the tumult and chaos of the Russian & Mongolian revolutions arises. Both of the books previously quoted are by men who travelled across Russia & Mongolia at the time in question (1920-21) and who both met Ungern and served in his Division.

Ossendowski's book has been criticised in the past, by no less than Sven Hedin - who published an entire book refuting Ossendowski's claims. However, Ossendowski's fault lies in what he leaves out, rather than what he says, which is in all likelihood fairly embellished. Whet he doesn't tell us is that he worked as Chief of Intelligence for Ungern for a period of time, and was entrusted with a mission to Japan. Rather, the impression we get from his account is that he spent a few days or weeks at most in the Baron's company. He also omits that he gave the formula for poison gas to Ungern...

Alioshin's book, on the other hand, though containing its fair share of mysticism, is decidedly more solid. However, one need only compare the accounts of the execution of the Philipoff (or Filipov) brothers in each case to see that glaring inconsistencies exist, - Ossendowski quotes the Baron, which contradicts Alioshin's version of his discovery of the bodies.

Who to believe?

Curiously enough, the fates of many officers of Ungern's Division are also subject to dispute.

Links:

"Beasts, Men and Gods": http://www.nalanda.nitc.ac.in/resources ... /index.htm
"Asian Odyssey": http://www.new.dli.ernet.in/ Or: http://dli.iiit.ac.in/

Eddy Marz

Post by Eddy Marz » 01 Sep 2007, 11:21

Thanks R for your kind comments and, hats off to you too for these equally excellent posts.
Regards
Eddy

Arensburger

Post by Arensburger » 01 Sep 2007, 22:07

Eddy Marz wrote:....Robert Nicolas Maximilian Von Ungern-Sternberg was born on 29 December 1885, in Graz (Austria). His mother, Sophie Charlotte Von Wimpffer (an extremely rich aristocrat from Würtemberg) and his father, Baron Theodore Von Ungern-Sternberg, were both Lutherans. Accordingly, Robert Nicolas was very versed in Biblical matters, and later changed his Christian names to Roman Feodorovitch.

He was useless in school, although good in mathematics, extremely interested in philosophy, travel, and foreign languages. His parents had him enter the Marine Corps in St. Petersburg at age ten (!). In middle life, he was fluent in Russian, German, Estonian, English and French. He also learned to speak Mongol and ‘Buriat’(Manchurian-Mongol dialect)....
Yes, Robert-Nicolas-Maximilian von Ungern-Sternberg was born in Austria, but he grew up separately from his parents, in Estonia. His foster-father in Estonia was Oscar von Hoyningen-Huene and they lived in Tallinn. But fostering of this boy wasn’t an easy one (problems in the school and s.o). As baron Alfred von Mirbach (friend and later his half-sisters husband) said – "Only these, who know Robert personally, can give fair and square judgment to his deeds. We can say only – he wasn’t like others."
Here I give some links, about places related with Ungern-Sternberg family in Estonia.
http://www.mois.ee/english/laane/ungru.shtml
http://avia.russian.ee/travel/estonia/ungru.html
http://www.hiiumaa.ee/tuletorn/english.php?id=3
http://www.hiiumaa.ee/tuletorn/english.php?id=9
http://www.hiiumaa.ee/tuletorn/english.php?id=10
http://www.hiiumaa.ee/tuletorn/english.php?id=11

R

Post by R » 02 Sep 2007, 14:18

Firstly, thanks to Arensburger for mentioning that oft-ignored quote by Baron von Mirbach. Writers and journalists would do well to pay heed...

I believe that there are two biographies of the Baron in English that are currently in the process of being published; one of them academic, the other decidedly less so. It would also seem, judging from what I've seen, that both fail to follow Mirbach's caution, unfortunately.

A couple of more points:

A quick look through the books shows that Pozner, despite (or rather perhaps because of) his journalistic approach and proto-paparazzi style investigation, failed to discover the marriage to the Manchu princess. Krauthoff, on the other hand does mention it curiously enough. Curiously, because both books are ostensibly based on the same source, at least according to Mabire: Makejev (or Makeev) 's firsthand account of his time under Ungern: "Bog voiny – Baron Ungern". Krauthoff writes that the marriage was engineered by none other than Zhang Zuolin, and that the princess in question was Puyi's sister, but that Ungern refused. The bibliography sheds little light on where Krauthoff may have come up with this, but then, his story about the tragic death of Ungern's fiancée is in all probability fictional also.

Incidentally, Pozner's book was published in the UK as "White Despot", and in the US as "The Bloody Baron", and Krauthoff's book in English translation is almost as difficult to find as the German originals, and the translation is patchy at best. For those interested, it's called:
"Strife & Glory: A Translation into English of Berndt Krauthoff's "Ich Befehle" by William Eickhorst." Vantage Press, 1985.

Auseklis

Re: Roman Feodorovich von Ungern-Sternberg...who was this guy???

Post by Auseklis » 18 Dec 2008, 18:56

I reactivate this thread to add a primary source (and a good read), not mentioned so far.

"The Story of Baron Ungern-Sternberg told by his Staff-Physician N.M. Riabukin (Ribo)"
42 Pages unpublished.
Copy can be ordered at the Hoover Institution on War, Revolution and Peace. Document # CSUHH697

The Hoover Institution also holds a document called "Letters captured from Baron Ungern-Sternberg in Mongolia" (CSUZHHS53-A), that I hadn't the possibility to check them out so far.

On Semenov:
Government Printing Office: Deportation of Gregorie Semenoff, Hearing before the Senate Committee of Education and Labour. US-Senate, 76. Congress, Second Session, April 12.-18. 1922, Part 1 (Part 2 is considered lost)...
(I would be interested in a copy of this one!)

(For my full reading list on Ungern-Sternberg please check out the German 2001 edition of Beasts, Men and Gods on which I did the editing work (and layout, and typsetting...))

@Eddy Marz
Great work! That must be about every existing picture of Ungern-Sternberg you show here!
Anyhow the stamp you presented on 26. Jul 2007 shows the austrian emporer Franz Joseph. Ungern-Sternberg never had own stamps. During his campaign he most probably used the japanese fieldpost network and if he would have been in need of stamps he would most probably have used stamps of Semenovs Tchita government.

Eddy Marz

Post by Eddy Marz » 18 Dec 2008, 20:12

Thanks for your kind comments, Auseklis;

Yep, you're right about the stamp. I realized that some time ago but forgot to post back about it. Interesting too that you did the editing and layout on a new edition of Beasts, Men and Gods. I had no clue it had come out again; my copy is second hand from the 50s.

Cheers

Eddy

Auseklis

Post by Auseklis » 18 Dec 2008, 20:16

There is even a brand new english language edition by a mongolian (!) publishing house (first mongolian issue also). Available on ebay.

Return to “Other eras”