E. German boots

Discussions on other historical eras.
new2this

E. German boots

Post by new2this » 03 Jan 2008, 10:39

Hello,

I didn't see anything in a site search on this. A few years ago, I bought a pair of E. German boots from one of those catalogs. Unfortunately it's impossible to find boots to fit my giant feet in Euro sizes, so I can't try them on and find out. My question is this...to those of you who have marched in them...are they as terribly uncomfortable as they look?

They appear to be dress/marching boots, enlisted, with a sort of pebbled leather finish and a rubber sole, with what looks like a cardboard insert.

phylo_roadking

Post by phylo_roadking » 03 Jan 2008, 17:15

Woo! Grepo boots! I've worn these on and off for many years now as motorcycle wear, although the supply of good condition ones in the West is fast drying up.

No, they are not uncomfortable, quite the reverse, as long as they take a "set" to your feet. What you DO find is that they're narrower in the leg than wartime "feldshue" so when you buy a size that actually lets your foot down the neck of the boot, the "foot" is far too big! Often ones Ive purchased have come with a plastic sort of mesh insert like a VERY thick Odoreater LMAO that doesn't squash but takes up extra room, and a thick pair of socks work wonders. I've never tried a "Russian sock", the triangular cloth folded around the foot, but I assume this would work fine.

The leather itself will harden too if it's not already, and once in that condition is resistant to any sort of leather food or dubbin or wax treatment. Instead I've been able to work wonders with an occasional brushing with baby oil (!!!) that when it does manage to soak in replaces many of the natural oils that have left the leather. The rubber sole is quite wear resistant, but the heels are not, and eventually you develop a very "down-at-heel" stance as they tend to wear on the outside edge more than the inside!

I'm suprised you didn't find what you needed, as I've always been able to find a Euro size 44 or bigger that suits my British size elevens, given the problem with actually getting a larger foot into the items as described above.

As for encouraging them to take a "set" the British Army trick works well on them. Drink copious amounts of beer, wait an hour...point and fill, then put your foot in. The urea reacts with whatever chemicals have been used in the tanning process for the leather for these to temporarily soften them and allow them to reshape to your foot...

new2this

Post by new2this » 03 Jan 2008, 21:07

aaaaah, I've read that somewhere before...but I don't really want to smell like pee everywhere. So, they'll be comfortable when/if they soften up. Sounds good...I'll be on the lookout for bigger sizes then. Thank you.

phylo_roadking

Post by phylo_roadking » 03 Jan 2008, 21:10

LOL don't worry, you don't nor do the boots. Start feeding the leather ASAP, it hardens progressively with age and becomes nearly iron-hard.

soldat_m56

Post by soldat_m56 » 05 Jan 2008, 19:59

I have a pair that are EG size 29, even though I should wear EG size 30, they still fit without discomfort. Only problem is they tend to squeak when you walk. However, I have only worn them with East German uniform for photos for my militaria collection (I do not have mannequins for that) and not everyday thing. I wore them with NVA-issue wool/polyester blend socks - then they fit exactly.

phylo_roadking

Post by phylo_roadking » 05 Jan 2008, 20:57

I have a pair that are EG size 29, even though I should wear EG size 30,
Would you normally take a "narrow fitting" US fitment?

soldat_m56

Post by soldat_m56 » 07 Jan 2008, 19:36

phylo_roadking wrote:
I have a pair that are EG size 29, even though I should wear EG size 30,
Would you normally take a "narrow fitting" US fitment?
I wear a regular in US sizes. My feet are normal width for their size (I think).

iannima

Re: E. German boots

Post by iannima » 31 Jan 2008, 09:10

new2this wrote: My question is this...to those of you who have marched in them...are they as terribly uncomfortable as they look?
I wear East German boots every day as they are the most comfortable shoes I have ever had. As already said what you need to do is give them a good polish to soften the leather up a bit, put them on and then splash copious amounts of hot water over the tight bits. The midwife tale of urinating on them is widespread over many armies of many ideological persuasions and it might even work (I never tried, nor am I willing to...) but it has little to do with the chemicals and a lot to do with the temperature... You keep splashing them with hot water and wear them until they dry. The leather will stretch and take the form of your foot and calves. There obviously is a limit to this story and East German boots tend to have a relatively narrow calf. This can sometimes be a problem for some people. In that case what you need to look for are boots marked "Weitschaft". It means that the shaft is wider to accommodate thicker calves. If you see boots on Ebay in your size which is likely to be 29.5 or 30 (there also are 30.5, 31 and I have even seen a 32 :o ) you can ask the seller to read to you all the markings in the shaft. That is where "Weitschaft" would be written in full. Bear in mind that there are TWO types of pebbled leather boots:
Manschaften on the left and officer on the right.
Officers also have a smooth leather version which is by far the most comfortable to wear.

Osminum

Post by Osminum » 21 May 2008, 21:07

Where's the best place to buy a pair of these, I really want some but I have no idea where to get them from?

iannima

Post by iannima » 22 May 2008, 20:43

Angus1235

Post by Angus1235 » 14 Jan 2014, 10:46

Osminum wrote:Where's the best place to buy a pair of these, I really want some but I have no idea where to get them from?
i am going to be selling some officer bootss size EG-29

Not sure on the price yet :)

(any ideas for a price will be appreciated)
Searching for Truppenfahrrad parts: Torpedo coaster brake parts, Union-werke headlight, truppenfahrrad handlebars, Torpedo front wheel hub.

Return to “Other eras”