Chevy Blazer in naval service

Discussions on other historical eras.
tobi1418

Chevy Blazer in naval service

Post by tobi1418 » 23 Nov 2014, 14:44

I' m restoring with a friend a Chevy Blazer M1000 build in 1986. We want to finish the car in a naval service trim of the mid 80's. Can anybody help me with pictures of such a car?
Mainly interesting to us is the right colour, all kinds of decals and equipment which was different to the civil versions. How looks an M1000 in naval service of the mid 80's-early 90's?
thank you in advance.

ChristopherPerrien

Re: Chevy Blazer in naval service

Post by ChristopherPerrien » 23 Nov 2014, 17:40

Goggle image search - "cut v truck" or "Chevy Blazer M1000 " and also try this link http://www.ar15.com/archive/topic.html? ... 7&t=630396

Those look exactly like cutv 's from when I was on Saipan and Guam with the USN/USMC in about 93, not nearly as beat-up and worn out though 8-) . Pre Desert-storm most would be forrest camo, post 90 - Many were sand , some were just olive drab We had a mix of all, but they were all 80's models, CHEVY AND DODGE. Never saw a navy blue one , but they had them stateside as I recall, and also white.

The front and back Stencils would be like USN - A195 or maybe USN/DET1- B125. right side-left side. I don't think you could use authentic gov license plates :lol:
I have some pictures but I can't access them. As to interior decals , I can't help there.

tobi1418

Post by tobi1418 » 03 Dec 2014, 22:43

Thanks for the Info, nice pics. What do the decals mean "RAB" and "8SPS"??

ChristopherPerrien

Post by ChristopherPerrien » 04 Dec 2014, 03:50

Those would be parent unit Identification. A Vehicle will have its Unit Identification on one side and its vehicle number on the other. How the parent unit is designated depends a-lot on SOP-standard operating procedures. 8SPS- could be like 8th Shore Police Section or whatever
RAB- Reserve Airship Battalion , :lol: etc.

Usually they are stencils not decals. Decals would be inside denoting storage brackets for items or operational warnings. "flashlight" "fire extinguisher" "Do Not exceed 55 MPH"

ADDEDA: The RAB is on the wrong side for a unit designation that side should be a vehicle number. Normally you would see letter with a number or just a Number. D195 or 17 something like that. RAB- could be the guy's nickname or something.Maybe it is RA8, IDK, or perhaps RAB -is the only vehicle of that unit. I have never seen all letters as a vehicle number though and I have been around or operated USAR USMC USN andUSAF vehicles

Return to “Other eras”