Re Central Asian "stans" and cities

Discussions on other historical eras.
South

Re Central Asian "stans" and cities

Post by South » 02 Apr 2016, 18:51

Good afternoon all,

Re the immediate post Cold War era, when Moscow "let go" it's Central Asian SSRs, and this area comprised the "Newly Independent States" (and later called "CIS");

I have a map where, in Krygyzstan (a/k/a/ Kyrgyz Republic [capital: Bishkek]), the city of Sukh and the city of Jordan are labeled as "Uzbekistan. The city within Kyrgyzstan, on the road west of Sukh, named Vorukh, is labeled as Tajikistan.

Is anyone here familiar with the above arrangements ? Is there a basic background to these arrangements, eg Treaty of ______ ?

Thanks in advance.

Bob

Stephen_Rynerson

Re: Re Central Asian "stans" and cities

Post by Stephen_Rynerson » 03 Apr 2016, 15:09

My best guess is that such things would have been covered by some sort of side agreement to the Alma-Ata Protocols: http://www.nytimes.com/1991/12/23/world ... wanted=all

wm

Post by wm » 03 Apr 2016, 22:03

The enclaves were created by Stalin's and his successors' gerrymandering efforts, but they existed earlier - unofficially.
The people living there, or rather local party bosses demanded them so they gave them.
It meant little then, just a bureaucratic arrangement, today it's a huge problem, especially that the people in those enclaves are quick to violence in defence of their rights.
They are many legends surrounding the enclaves, one says a party boss lost one of them in a game of cards to another, from the neighbouring republic.

South

Post by South » 04 Apr 2016, 08:45

Thank you Stephen and Wm.

I'm focused now for my onward research.

Bob

South

Post by South » 04 Apr 2016, 09:27

http://www.rferl.org/content/majlis-pod ... 51487.html

Good morning all,

Above link is part of my ongoing research Stephen and Wm helped me on.

I thought I'd post it here for others interested in this Central Asia matter.

The link discusses related issues eg Kol-Tash, Kyrgyz Republic and Chorkuh, Tajikistan.

Noteworthy to historians is the link's reference to some personality rhetorically asking if issues should be resolved via maps or "over a cup of tea" !

Bob

Return to “Other eras”