Greatest soldier of all time

Discussions on other historical eras.
Oleg Grigoryev

Re: !

Post by Oleg Grigoryev » 25 Mar 2002, 11:08

Fred wrote:Deer Hannibal, not that I think that the Waffen-SS were the best soldiers but the had some advantages(in my view) over the allies:
High morale
Prepared to die for their "cause"
Better trained
Better tactics

and Hannibal it´s a BIG difference between W-SS and Allgemeine-SS(They took care of executions of defensless people)

Fred.
High morale was hardly hallmark of only Waffen-SS many of their opponents were just as high spirited and prepared to die for their cause. As for tactics, as was always curious how one can prove the equation of "my-tactics is better than yours" type?

Caldric

Post by Caldric » 25 Mar 2002, 11:43

I think it would be extremely hard to say who was the best in history. I mean what Waffen SS ? Not all were the best, some without a doubt were some of the finest fighting units in history, but then some had low training, and horrid tactics, but the best? I don't know, would not say they were either.

US Marines are, where, and still are an excellent fighting army. The war in the Pacific showed their ability to fight, not to mention Korea, Vietnam and modern wars. Would not say they are the best in history but they are a highly trained, and hard fighters. For Bad Tolz to say they do not belong the list is rather a silly statement, or lack of knowledge.

I also think parts of the Red Army are never given due credit for their fighting ability. Chikov's 62nd Army at Stalingrad would be a good example.

Roman's, is hard to say considering their enemies.

The best is most likely a personal choice. I pick Marines simply because it is a branch of my countries military, and they have done an excellent job for this country through out their long history. Plus I am a rabid patriot may have something to do with it also.

Absolute best is hard to say..... Maybe the Mongols just because of their success, hell they never were defeated, I think they just got bored :)

mike262752

Post by mike262752 » 25 Mar 2002, 11:48

oleg- the waffen ss had good morale even when they were down, any one is gonna be happy when they are wining. The waffen SS were just about always out numbered and they always fought on.

and fred is right, too many people are ignorant to the diffrence beetween the waffen ss and the algemine ss.

Oleg Grigoryev

Post by Oleg Grigoryev » 25 Mar 2002, 11:49

Caldric wrote:I think it would be extremely hard to say who was the best in history. I mean what Waffen SS ? Not all were the best, some without a doubt were some of the finest fighting units in history, but then some had low training, and horrid tactics, but the best? I don't know, would not say they were either.

US Marines are, where, and still are an excellent fighting army. The war in the Pacific showed their ability to fight, not to mention Korea, Vietnam and modern wars. Would not say they are the best in history but they are a highly trained, and hard fighters. For Bad Tolz to say they do not belong the list is rather a silly statement, or lack of knowledge.

I also think parts of the Red Army are never given due credit for their fighting ability. Chikov's 62nd Army at Stalingrad would be a good example.

Roman's, is hard to say considering their enemies.

The best is most likely a personal choice. I pick Marines simply because it is a branch of my countries military, and they have done an excellent job for this country through out their long history. Plus I am a rabid patriot may have something to do with it also.

Absolute best is hard to say..... Maybe the Mongols just because of their success, hell they never were defeated, I think they just got bored :)
The were actually by Czhecs - don't remeber when, and by Russians in 1380.

Oleg Grigoryev

Post by Oleg Grigoryev » 25 Mar 2002, 11:53

mike262752 wrote:oleg- the waffen ss had good morale even when they were down, any one is gonna be happy when they are wining. The waffen SS were just about always out numbered and they always fought on.

and fred is right, too many people are ignorant to the diffrence beetween the waffen ss and the algemine ss.
I am afraid "always" is a slight exaggeration. And many other soldiers fought on when there was virtually no hope (defense of Brets Litovsk for instance -62nd Army in Stalingrad)
Last edited by Oleg Grigoryev on 26 Mar 2002, 02:00, edited 1 time in total.

Caldric

Post by Caldric » 25 Mar 2002, 11:59

Ahh ok then I guess they were beat, the Mongols that is.

Also I am sure I mis-spelled Chikov..... was it Chuikov at Stalingrad, I do not have the book in front of me.

Fred

Post by Fred » 25 Mar 2002, 15:34

Thanks Mike always nice with some support, have a nice day.

Fred :D :D :D

Hannibal

Re: !

Post by Hannibal » 25 Mar 2002, 20:31

Fred wrote:
and Hannibal it´s a BIG difference between W-SS and Allgemeine-SS(They took care of executions of defensless people)

Fred.
They did? And what "Jochen" Peiper did in Malmedy?

And a question to all voting on Waffen-SS: show me a single brilliant victory in all war which was their success.

PS. Fred please don't call me a deer ;)

ziggy wiseman

greatest soldiers...precisio

Post by ziggy wiseman » 25 Mar 2002, 23:52

Benoit,you wrote"About the U.S. Marines. West Point is a great military school and make them great soldier so they deserve to be on the list. "
U.S.Marine corp has nothing to do with West Point.I'm pretty sure the're located at Camp Lejeune in S.C.

Caldric

Post by Caldric » 26 Mar 2002, 00:17

The US Marines actually go to the United States Naval Academy, Annapolis being the big one, which is on the same level as West Point. Excellent schools.

Fred

!

Post by Fred » 26 Mar 2002, 00:44

OK let me try again: Dear Hannibal (sorry if my English sucks) .
Fred :oops: :lol:

ps I voted vikings.

ziggy wiseman

best soldiers

Post by ziggy wiseman » 26 Mar 2002, 01:47

"The US Marines actually go to the United States Naval Academy, Annapolis being the big one, which is on the same level as West Point. Excellent schools"-Caldric
10-4!-ziggy

Hannibal

Deer :)

Post by Hannibal » 26 Mar 2002, 09:59

Hey Fred! Have you noticed the "wink" image at the end? I was just joking.

MagyarCrusader

Question

Post by MagyarCrusader » 26 Mar 2002, 10:27

Q: What's more powerful than the most powerful empire in history? :?:
A: The empire that takes them out.

Huns.

Fred

!

Post by Fred » 26 Mar 2002, 12:07

Point taken Hannibal, have a nice day.

Fred.

Return to “Other eras”