Biggest battles in Africa

Discussions on other historical eras.
cavszabo

Re: Biggest battles in Africa

Post by cavszabo » 09 Jan 2017, 19:11

If this thread is still open, I'd like to make some points:

1. There was no battle at Cuito Cuanavale. The South Africans -- according to my wife's and my own archive research -- proves that it was not an objective. The only reason they went into Cuando Cubango Province was to rescue UNITA from a huge MPLA/Soviet/Cuban/ E.German attack.
2. Once the objective was achieved. The SADF left. Angola was not our war, our task was to prevent SWAPO's terrorism.

You claim SWAPO is in power. Yes, but NOT as a one-party state, which it wanted. It is a democracy. South Africa same thing: The SACP was unable to enforce Communism in South Africa, we are a democracy. So we helped Namibia win, we won, but Angola lost. It is the poorest nation in Africa and is owned by a small clique.
The USSR and E. Germany also lost. The money they wasted in Angola helped cause their Iron Curtains and Berlin Walls to collapse.

So, the good people won, while there is only Communism in Cuba left. But how long? One day, Cuba will be free!

Tanzania

Post by Tanzania » 11 Jan 2017, 06:42

Hi cavszabo,

The biggest battle in Africa was during the Great War on Friday, 27th October 1916 at Segale / Ethiopia with 200.000 combatants:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Segale

Original Online source:
British Policy towards Ethiopia, 1909 to 1919, Chapter III, The Shoan Coupe d´Etat of September 1916, Map on page 242
Thesis by Andrew Stephan Caplan, University of London, January 1971, pdf. 486 pages:
https://repository.royalholloway.ac.uk/ ... Thesis.pdf

I add here some background:
`` THE ETHIOPIAN FACTOR ´´ . . . . . AND THE LARGEST BATTLE IN AFRICA 1914-1918
German mainland reinforcements to East African Troops? http://forum.axishistory.com/viewtopic. ... 3&t=220125

Regards Holger
“Day by day and almost minute by minute the past was brought up to date. . . . All History was a
palimpsest, scraped clean and reinscribed exactly as often as was necessary” – G. ORWELL 1984

cavszabo

Post by cavszabo » 11 Jan 2017, 11:14

As I recall, we were discussing the era post WWII.
Thanks for the info.

Tanzania

Post by Tanzania » 11 Jan 2017, 14:14

cavszabo wrote:As I recall, we were discussing the era post WWII.
Thanks for the info.
Sorry for the misplacement, but the Headline: »Biggest battles in Africa« don’t include this limitation.
Regards Holger
“Day by day and almost minute by minute the past was brought up to date. . . . All History was a
palimpsest, scraped clean and reinscribed exactly as often as was necessary” – G. ORWELL 1984

cavszabo

Post by cavszabo » 11 Jan 2017, 16:43

I hear that.

Return to “Other eras”