General Nam Il

Discussions on other historical eras.
Lawrence

General Nam Il

Post by Lawrence » 01 May 2005, 04:32

General Nam Il was the senior Communist delegate at the Korean War peace talks. He was also the deputy Primier and chief of staff of the North Korean People's Army. Can anyone provide me with a little more background about him? Was he a partisan with Kim Il Sung? What happened to him? If anyone can provide me with a picture, I'd be very grateful too.

Windward

Post by Windward » 01 May 2005, 16:52

The man signing armistice pact was him

I'm sure I can find more pictures of him in books and pictorials I've read, but need time.

Nam Il was born on June 5, 1913 in a poor Korean farmer family in Russian far east. He attended Smolensk Military School and a Russian college in Tashkent. He was chief of staff of a Soviet Army division at end of WW2. He died in bed on March 7, 1976. He never been DPRK's deputy primier but foreign minister. His son Nam Jong escaped to China to avoid political persecution in the early 1980s and became famous football drillmaster.

regards

Panzerfaust XxX

Post by Panzerfaust XxX » 05 May 2005, 01:04

I have no idea as to what happened to this man, but it is not uncommon for North Koreans to make a break across the Yalu to China. I have no idea were this man is but I think he is dead.

Lawrence

Post by Lawrence » 05 May 2005, 04:06

Windward wrote:The man signing armistice pact was him

I'm sure I can find more pictures of him in books and pictorials I've read, but need time.

Nam Il was born on June 5, 1913 in a poor Korean farmer family in Russian far east. He attended Smolensk Military School and a Russian college in Tashkent. He was chief of staff of a Soviet Army division at end of WW2. He died in bed on March 7, 1976. He never been DPRK's deputy primier but foreign minister. His son Nam Jong escaped to China to avoid political persecution in the early 1980s and became famous football drillmaster.

regards
Thanks Winward for the information and picture. I'd be grateful for any other photos and information you could give.

There is very little information on this man, especially his post war activities. Since North Korea is so secretive, it carries over to its history and information about other important figures other than the Kim family.

Return to “Other eras”