Turkish Brigade in Korean War

Discussions on other historical eras.
Tosun Saral

Re: Turkish Brigade in Korean War

Post by Tosun Saral » 19 Feb 2010, 11:13

Sorrow Sorrow Sorrows
Turkish Korean war veteran Brigadier Mehmet Rıza Bekin has passed away on Feb 18th 2010.
His army serial number : Top(Artillary) 1946-118
Attachments
komk1.jpg
komk1.jpg (78.2 KiB) Viewed 2898 times

muvatalli

Post by muvatalli » 20 Feb 2010, 22:11

Mehmet Fatih wrote:
Initially, Turkey sent the 1st Turkish Brigade, commanded by Brig. Gen. Tahsin Yazici. The brigade consisted of three battalions commanded by Major Imadettin Kuranel, Major Mithat Ulunu, and Major Lutfu Bilgon.
Just a few spelling corrections of the names of those two heroes who were fallen in Korea.

They are Miktat Uluünlü and Lütfü Bilgin.

Both of them may rest in peace...
infact Maj.imadettin kuranel went to hospital in first days of kunuri and capt.Ahmet TUNCER became 1st battalion commander.And he were fallen in November,30,1950
REST İN PEACE

Tosun Saral

Post by Tosun Saral » 29 Apr 2010, 11:29

source: Turkish Daily "Haber Türk" dated April 29th 2010 p.16

They met after 60 years. Korean lady Sin Sen Nim met her step father who found her at a ruined and burned village 60 years later. NCO Master Sergeant Süleyman Dilbirliği from Turkish Brigade found her in a burned and ruined dwelling crying, sick and hungry. All the inhabitants of the village were found killed by comunist Koreans. MS Dilbirliği cared her, fed her. Later she was given to the caring hands of Turkish School "Ankara" which was established by the order of General Tahsin Yazıcı. MSDilbirliği gave her a Turkish name "Ayla" Sin Sen Nim married and have 2 children. Her husbend died recently.

TS's Nota: Turkey not only fought at Korea but cared the orphans and established a school for them. But on the other hand the great propaganda of USA and Britain showed the whole world with movies that they were caring the orphhans. The Turk needs no propoganda. Turks deeds are great.
Attachments
kore2.jpg
kore2.jpg (85.22 KiB) Viewed 2847 times
kore1.jpg
kore1.jpg (40 KiB) Viewed 2847 times
kore.jpg
kore.jpg (86.79 KiB) Viewed 2847 times

Kim Sung

Post by Kim Sung » 25 Jun 2010, 16:49

Tosun Saral wrote:source: Turkish Daily "Haber Türk" dated April 29th 2010 p.16

They met after 60 years. Korean lady Sin Sen Nim met her step father who found her at a ruined and burned village 60 years later. NCO Master Sergeant Süleyman Dilbirliği from Turkish Brigade found her in a burned and ruined dwelling crying, sick and hungry. All the inhabitants of the village were found killed by comunist Koreans. MS Dilbirliği cared her, fed her. Later she was given to the caring hands of Turkish School "Ankara" which was established by the order of General Tahsin Yazıcı. MSDilbirliği gave her a Turkish name "Ayla" Sin Sen Nim married and have 2 children. Her husbend died recently.

TS's Nota: Turkey not only fought at Korea but cared the orphans and established a school for them. But on the other hand the great propaganda of USA and Britain showed the whole world with movies that they were caring the orphhans. The Turk needs no propoganda. Turks deeds are great.
Now I'm watching a special TV drama based on the above story on MBC TV. The story of 'Kore Ayla' has been recently covered by a lot of Korean media.

http://www.newsen.com/news_view.php?uid ... 1448151001
http://www.clubcity.kr/news/articleView ... dxno=59695
http://news.chosun.com/site/data/html_d ... 02652.html

Kim Sung

Post by Kim Sung » 25 Jun 2010, 17:19

This evening I watched a special documentary on the Turkish Brigade during and after the Korean War. It was a very impressive documentary. For this documentary, a Turkish military historian provided a two-hour long color footage of the Turkish brigade during the summer of 1951. I didn't know that such a long color footage on the Turkish brigade exists. It was filmed by a Turkish officer and has not been made public until today, the 60th anniversay of the Korean War.

The above documentary provided some rare footages of the 1954 Turkish movie 'The North Star' based on Turkish experience during the Korean War. This movie was well-made and describes gallantry and spirit of sacrifice of those Turkish soldiers who fought for the country on the opposite side of the Asian continent under such harsh conditions. I really appreciate their sacrifice and help given for us about 60 years ago.

Kim Sung

Color Footage of the Turkish Brigade during the Korean War

Post by Kim Sung » 29 Jun 2010, 07:50

Kim Sung wrote:This evening I watched a special documentary on the Turkish Brigade during and after the Korean War. It was a very impressive documentary. For this documentary, a Turkish military historian provided a two-hour long color footage of the Turkish brigade during the summer of 1951. I didn't know that such a long color footage on the Turkish brigade exists. It was filmed by a Turkish officer and has not been made public until today, the 60th anniversay of the Korean War.
Color Footage of the Turkish Brigade during the Korean War
http://www.pandora.tv/my.loveasia/38354082 (00:41~)
http://www.pandora.tv/my.loveasia/38354076 (~01:55)

* This footage mainly covers activities of the First Battalion of the Turkish Brigade from 1951 to 1953.

antfreire

Post by antfreire » 07 Nov 2010, 21:10

I spoke to an African American soldier that served in Korea and he told me that they were in a camp just a few miles from the turks. They were more afraid to those turks than to the communists. They used to go to the american camp with two knives, one for them and one for the GIs and they invited them to a fight for their life as if it was a poker game.

Tosun Saral

Post by Tosun Saral » 08 Nov 2010, 12:25

The reputation of the the Turk is ennormous. Since 1000 years this reputation growed huge and reached today. Every nation has an idea about Turks. There are fabrications and true stories which makes the Turk on the eyes of others a very special person. Fear and great respect makes a Turk E.T.

When I was a student at the Uni of Vienna in 1961-66 we, a pair of Turks decided a saturday night to go to a wine-house, the famous 12 Apostel Keller. We set around a 12 person table and start drinking. A short time later 3 tall Americans come to our table and wanted permission to sit.
OK
We drunk to the health of the new comers. They drunk for us. We begun to talk. One of then asked if we were from Vienna. We said no we are Turks. Suddenly one of them stood up shouted laut to us that were were lieing. He said that he was in Korea he knew the Turks The Turks were huge like a Koloss. We were little and not looking like Turks. We were very surprised. We showed our passports that we are sons of Turks.

Now this reputation is crossed by Americans by covering the heads of Turkish soldiers in Iraq with a sack. :milsmile:
There will be times that we revenge.

Tosun Saral

Post by Tosun Saral » 13 Jul 2011, 22:13

Journalist and stateman Altemur kılıç, son of famous Turkish hero Kılıç Ali Bey (serach in axis in my posts)served as an Engeneer underLt at the order of 3rd Turkish Brigade also in Korea. he is receiving a badge from Maj. Sami Küçük. (Sami Küçük was a member of coup that made a military putsch in May 27th 1960.
Attachments
MADALYA.jpg
MADALYA.jpg (34.05 KiB) Viewed 2500 times

Peter H

Post by Peter H » 15 Jul 2011, 11:17

From The Korean War Cameron Forbes.

Prisoners of the Chinese---sitting on left ,Australian Pilot,Flying Officer Ron Guthrie,sitting on right Sergeant Ali of the Turkish Army,standing CSM Baker of the British Gloucestershire Regiment.
Attachments
prisoners.jpg

Tosun Saral

Post by Tosun Saral » 16 Jul 2011, 10:08

There are millions of Ali Çavuş, Veli Çavuş, Mehmet Çavuş in the Turkish Army. here is another Ali Çavuş
Korean War Veteran Infantry Sergeant Ali Özdemir.
Attachments
gazi.jpg
gazi.jpg (36.54 KiB) Viewed 2470 times

Tosun Saral

Post by Tosun Saral » 05 Aug 2011, 10:42

Turkish Brigade landing at Pusan, Korea in 1950
Attachments
kore türk tuğayı.jpg

Tolga Alkan

Recommended reading on the Turkish Brigade(s) in Korean War

Post by Tolga Alkan » 31 Aug 2011, 12:07

Greetings everybody,

I've decided to collect recommandations on books about the Turkish Brigade(s) in Korean War both published in Turkish and English. Unfortunately what I'm going to share with you primary resources mostly written in Turkish.I hope more English stuff on the subject would be published in near future so English-reader community of the world could read and understand what happened to the Turkish Brigades(s) in the Korean War.Most of the books listed below are memoirs and recollections of veterans including commander of the first Brigade fought in Korea (Tahsin Yazıcı).I used plural for the term "Brigade" because as you know only first three brigades saw action in Korean War, later were on peace-duty.Any addition to list would be very welcomed.I would like to share some example pages and covers later.So here we go, not in alphetical order, listed by author, title, publisher, year, language and with my comments&explanations:

Tahsin Yazıcı, Kore Birinci Türk Tugayında Hatıralarım,Ülkü Basımevi, 1963, Turkish (This is the book which was written by commander of the first Turkish Brigade fought in Korea)

Celal Dora, Kore Savaşında Türkler, İsmail Akgün Matbaası, 1963, Turkish (The author was commander of 241th Turkish Regiment. His regiment was belonged to Brigade, then dismissed during the war and he was assigned to duty of second in command of Brigade.You could have much information in this thread with photos.)

Bahtiyar Yalta, Kunu-ri Muharebeleri ve Geri Çekilmeler, Türk Tarih Kurumu Yayınları, 2005, Turkish (I've wrote some information about this book in this thread before, the author was mortar platoon commander in first Brigade, saw severe actions in Kunu-ri, his book is considered as one of the most detailled book on the subject.)

Turhan Seçer, Kore Savaşı'nın Bilinmeyenleri, Toplumsal Dönüşüm Yayınları, 2008, Turkish (Overall history of battles and collective work on recollections of veterans)

Bülent Ruscuklu, Kore Savaşı-Unutulan Savaş ve Gazi Faruk Pekerol'un Anıları, Alfa Yayınları, 2005, Turkish (Overall history of the battles and recollections of veteran Faruk Pekerol and his captivity.)

Cem Fakir, Şimal Yıldızı-Son Kore Gazileri, NTV Yayınları, 2010, Turkish (The book is following three years day by day on veterans recollections with beatiful photographs.Very good bood.)

Ahmet Aksu, Kore Harbi Hatıraları 1950-1953, Self Published, unknown, Turkish (The author was engineer platoon commander during the period of 1950 to 1951. Book contains photographs and memoirs.)

Muzaffer Kıran, Şafakta Hücum, Yıldız Matbaacılık, 1953, Turkish (The author was officer in first Brigade.The book contains memoirs of first actions and his captivity.)

Turan Ergüngör, Kore'de Birinci Türk Tugayı, San Matbaası, unknown, Turkish (The author was infantry company commander in first Brigade. He wrote his memoirs.)

Kore Harbinde Türk Silahlı Kuvvetleri Muhabereleri 1950-1953, Genelkurmay Basımevi 1975, Turkish (The official history of first three Brigades had fought in Korea with maps, after action reports, recollections etc.)

Ali Denizli, Koe Harbinde Türk Tugayları, Genelkurmay Basımevi, 1994, Turkish (The author was retired colonel from the Turkish Army, not a veteran. He interviewed several veterans including high-ranking officers and researched history of battles.)

Kore Savaşı Şehitlerinin Biyografileri, Genelkurmay Basımevi, 1992, Turkish (Short biographies of the personel who were killed in action.)

Kore'de Cereyan Eden Muharebelerden Alınacak Dersler, Genelkurmay Basımevi, 1979, Turkish (The official booklet on lessons learnt from the Korean War.)

İbrahim Artuç, Kore Savaşlarında Mehmetçik, Kastaş Yayınları, 1990, Turkish (Overall history and criticism. The author compared books written by Tahsin Yazıcı and Celal Dora.)

Tuna Baltacıoğlu, Savaş İçinde Barış-Kore Savaşı Anıları,YKY, 2000, Turkish
(The author was third lieutenant during the 1951-1952 and worked as translator in second Brigade.His memoirs with photographs.)

Hasan Basri Danışman, Korea 1952 Situation Negative!, Denizler Kitabevi, 2002, English ( The author is veteran of second brigade. The book is only memoir published in english as far as I know. He is also author of a Gallipoli book called: "Day one plus...Gallipoli 1915". )

Thats all for now.

Tosun Saral

Post by Tosun Saral » 31 Aug 2011, 13:22

Tolga a wellback to the forum. Hoş geldin. Özlemiştik.
I advice you to find Captain Nazmi Özoğul's (late Col ) book "Kore'de Niçin Savaştım?" (Why I fought at Korea.)

Tolga Alkan

Post by Tolga Alkan » 02 Sep 2011, 09:54

Tosun Bey thanks, I'm pleased to see you around sharing valuable knowledge and experience.

These books are mostly sold-out titles could be found at second hand book dealers.I was not awere of Nazmi Özoğul's book on the subject.

Return to “Other eras”