The Toivo Uuttu Bulldog against 6 Soviet I-16 subject has now a thread of it's own here.
Some basic things from the threads mentioned.
Uuttu combat report:
Uuttu patrolling over Muolaa at ca. 1500m height, and begining to descend:
viewtopic.php?f=59&t=152613&start=45...at the same time I pushed the plane downwards, tracers began to sputter all over me. The attack came from the sun. When I looked over my shoulder I saw three I-16 at by back. One was straight at my back and two others at the sides and also 2-3 planes above me.
I instinctively pulled an evasive maneuvre to the up left, and ater that I managed to fire a short burst to the side of the right side plane that was pulling up. After that i pushed the nose down to be able to execute a new evasive maneuvre. When I looked up, I saw a similar case. Then I pulled towards a plane coming at an oblique angle. That resulted the plane pulling up to the side, away. At that moment I managed to fire a well aimed brust to the fuselage bottom at plane nose. I noticed couple of puffs of black smoke coming from the [I-16, JT]engine. After that the plane swayed sideways two times and fell down wing first. After that I noticed a trail of pale smoke coming from the plane.
As the speed had reduced, I pushed the nose down twisting. Tracers sputtered all over me all the time. i felt the plane fuselage shaking, and when pulled the stick, it didn't move. I thought about jumping, but as I knew i would be shot I decided to try out to the last. I tried to evade my attackers using only rudder and aerlions. At ca. 200m when looking behind, I saw one still following and shooting. I shut off my engine and pulled with both hands from the stick and it moved a bit and the plane recovered from the dive but then the plane hit the trees and after the crash I became unconscious.
Babelfish translation:Slon wrote:Here a fragment of fighting report Shinkarenko about fight with Uutu:
Придя на место предполагаемого противника в район озеро Каук-ярви противника не обнаружено. На высоте 700 метров патрулировало звено И-16. Пройдя по дороге на город Кюреля на высоте 1500 метров обнаружен самолет противника истребительного типа полутороплан над озером Юск-ярви. Звеном в составе старшего лейтенанта Шинкаренко, старшего политрука Диденко и лейтенанта Григорьева произведен обстрел с-та который в бой не вступил и после открытия огня перешел в крутое пикирование с углом 60-70о было 2 попытки вывести с-т в горизонтальный полет но после 2й попытки опять перешел в пикирование с углом 60-70о пикировал до высоты 100-75 метров где пытаясь выводить скрылся в дыму который в результате пожара закрыл местность до высоты 70-100 метров в котором видимости совершенно не было. По предположениям летного состава самолет врезался в лес.
1. Pokryshev with them any more was not. Нe has lagged behind earlier.
2. Him I-16 have repaired. It has not been lost.
3. From the ground shoots not only air defence...
Under Soviet version Uutu did not shoot
After arriving in the place of the assumed enemy into the region the lake Of [kauk]-[yarvi] of enemy not discovered. The component I, patrolled at the height of 700 meters. After passing along the road to [Kyurelya] city at the height of 1500 meters it is discovered the aircraft of destructive type enemy the sesquiplane above [Yusk]-[yarvi] lake. Component in the composition of the Senior Lieutenant [Shinkarenko], elder political instructor [Didenko] and Lieutenant Grigoryev produced firing hundred whom into the battle it did not enter also after opening fire it passed into the nose dive with the angle 60-70[o] was 2 attempts to derive T in the level flight but after 2[y] of attempt it again passed into the dive with the angle 60-70[o] it dived to the height of 100-75 meters where attempting to derive it was hidden in to smoke whom as a result fire shut locality to the height of 70-100 meters in which there was no visibility completely. On the assumptions of crew the aircraft cut into the forest.
viewtopic.php?f=59&t=152613&start=45Slon wrote:1. The Soviet documents the version, that the Pokryshev’s plane have been damaged in air I fight do not confirm. You to me already let know, that for you it - not argument. But you should understand, that the argument nobody the confirmed Uuttu’s words is exact also for me not.
2. I consulted to knowing people concerning that, the plane with described Uuttu symptoms could to fly by about 30 kilometers. To me have answered, that with probability of 90 % - is not present. In any case, the squadron should lower speed that Pokryshev it was kept in group. I.e. to not notice, that his plane is damaged other pilots not could.
3. If I have correctly understood, Uuttu shot on I-16 from position "behind - above". To strike from such position an oil - radiator - very big success.
4. Pokryshev was rather skilled pilots and hardly could admit such gross blunder, having slipped forward not only the commander a part (him was not in structure of link Shinkarenko), but also the attacked opponent.
5. It is surprising, that Uuttu, being continuously under bombardment, could see where he has got, that has taken place with plane of the opponent where and as it has departed also what color a smoke let out. It is trusted in it hardly.
6. With Pokryshev’s words, him have damaged fire from the ground. As the plane have restored later, probably his words have found acknowledgement at survey of the machine. At least in all lists the plane appears as damaged fire from the ground.