Viljam Pylkäs' kills on April 12th 1942

Discussions on the Winter War and Continuation War, the wars between Finland and the USSR.
Hosted by Juha Tompuri
Mangrove

Viljam Pylkäs' kills on April 12th 1942

Post by Mangrove » 02 Aug 2010, 17:59

Apart from Simo Häyhä, many of you may be familiar with Viljam Pylkäs of I/JR 8. Did he archive the +80 kills with "Suomi" in Svir on April 12th 1942 as he estimates? We shall start with a quote from book "Rokka: Kertomus konekiväärimiehen sodasta" by Pylkäs & Nuorvala:

"I noticed this area was much better suitable for defence than our tent area. From edge of the forest the terrain lowered to a swamp with few bushes growing there and then climbed again towards us. "Neighbours" had cleared some of the forest's edge on their own side, cut branches and tried to increase the visibility; all to our advantage. Now countless number of enemies were coming, on their feet and screaming their "huraa". No time to waste. I set the clips beside me, peeked and opened fire. The firsts fell on their feet. [...] I took cockades from few as a memoir, but was not interested counting the "price". My fellow comrade started to make the calculations and the score was 80; that was the number that at least had fell to my SMG.
Totesin, että puolustuksen kannalta tämä alue oli paljon edullisempi kuin oma teltta-alueemme. Metsänreunasta maasto laski suoperäiselle aukeamalle, jossa kasvoi harvoja pensaita, ja nousi sitten jälleen meitä kohti. Naapurit olivat raivanneet hieman oman alueensa metsänreunaa, katkoneet oksia ja yrittäneet parantaa näkyvyyttä, mikä sekin oli nyt meille eduksi. Mutta vihollisia näytti olevan aivan lappamalla tulossa, ja seisaaltaan, kovasti huutaen huraataan.
Arvelin, ettei ollut enää aikaa hukattavissa. Asetin lippaat viereeni, vilkaisin hieman etumaastoon ja avasin tulen. Ensimmäisenä ryntäävät kaatuivat siihen paikkaan. [...] Otin parilta kaatuneelta kokardin muistoksi, mutta saaliin laskeminen ei minua kiinnostanut. Äskeinen toverini sensijaan ryhtyi suorittamaan laskutoimituksia ja sai tulokseksi, että konepistoolini oli kaatanut ainakin 80 vihollista.
The map of the combat area. Mind the Kev.Os 10. The exact place of the fight is unknown to me, maybe the swamp he speaks of is the one S of the thick black line (see the third link; "12.4. klo 14.50"). However the H-hour of the attack is given as 9.10 a.m. Finnish time. According to POW information the unit assaulting this sector was probably I/IR 763. What were the real Soviet losses?

http://digi.narc.fi/digi/fullpic.ka?kuid=4546517 (General description of the combat activity)
http://digi.narc.fi/digi/fullpic.ka?kuid=4546542 (11.D's units and their positions on April 10th)
http://digi.narc.fi/digi/fullpic.ka?kuid=4546539 (Battles on April 11th and 12th)

Juha Tompuri
Forum Staff

Re: Viljam Pylkäs' kills on April 12th 1942

Post by Juha Tompuri » 02 Aug 2010, 20:07

Petri Sarjanen at his book Tuntematon Rokka (Unknown Rokka) mentions that Pylkäs shot "at least 82" enemies, using 17 smg magazine loads (40 round) = 680 rounds in total.
Also having once to change the smg barrel because of a jammed bullet.

http://www.guns.connect.fi/gow/rokka.html

Regards, Juha

Juha Tompuri
Forum Staff

Post by Juha Tompuri » 02 Aug 2010, 20:23

A movieclip from Finnish movie Unknown Soldier based on a book with the same name.
Here "Antti Rokka" acting the event in question:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ncpHXvpma8o

Regards, Juha

Mangrove

Post by Mangrove » 02 Aug 2010, 20:47

Juha Tompuri wrote:Petri Sarjanen at his book Tuntematon Rokka (Unknown Rokka) mentions that Pylkäs shot "at least 82" enemies, using 17 smg magazine loads (40 round) = 680 rounds in total.
Also having once to change the smg barrel because of a jammed bullet.
Nothing is said on the book about the amount of ammunitions he spent. However he was wounded in the head similar way as in the movie. Actually according to Pylkäs the whole gun was sent to the rear for changing of barrel ("Kun en tuntenut sitä [häiriötä] riittävästi, oli pakko lähettää koko konepistooli taaemmas lippaitten lataajille ja siellä siihen vaihdettiin uusi piippu".).

John Hilly

Post by John Hilly » 02 Aug 2010, 21:46

Martti Kujansuu wrote:Nothing is said on the book about the amount of ammunitions he spent. However he was wounded in the head similar way as in the movie. Actually according to Pylkäs the whole gun was sent to the rear for changing of barrel ("Kun en tuntenut sitä [häiriötä] riittävästi, oli pakko lähettää koko konepistooli taaemmas lippaitten lataajille ja siellä siihen vaihdettiin uusi piippu".).
Tai "onneksi hurreilla oli varapiippu teltassaan, jonka he olivat paetessaan hylänneet".

Or, "luckily the Swedes had a spare barrel in a tent they had left behind while running back". :D
J-P :milwink:
"Die Blechtrommel trommelt noch!"

Juha Tompuri
Forum Staff

Post by Juha Tompuri » 04 Aug 2010, 23:45

Martti Kujansuu wrote:Nothing is said on the book about the amount of ammunitions he spent.
Depends on "the book"
At the book I mentioned the amount is mentioned, at the one you did, it is not.

Regards, Juha

Mangrove

Post by Mangrove » 05 Aug 2010, 08:24

Juha Tompuri wrote: At the book I mentioned the amount is mentioned, at the one you did, it is not.
Sarjanen's book on Häyhä did not contain any true number of his victories or any other number, so I would expect his book on Pylkäs would be the same. Although he is a historian in the sense he graduated from the University of Helsinki with a master degree from Finnish history, his books are mostly semi-historical novels. Who to believe if Pylkäs "wrote" the book 13 and Sarjanen 58 years after the events, of course a comtemporary source would be the best. I will look into it.

John Hilly

Post by John Hilly » 05 Aug 2010, 08:31

Pylkäs came there as auxiliary. The nervous Swedish speaking 2nd lieutenant told Pylkäs:
"Ryssä hyökkämä!" 8O
Viljam answered:
"Ryssä tappama!" :lol:

Greets
J-P :milwink:
BTW, The liutenant was killed during this fight :(
"Die Blechtrommel trommelt noch!"

Mangrove

Post by Mangrove » 06 Aug 2010, 10:00

This Iron Cross award document conflicts his present number of kills; it credits him only fifteen kills from April 12th.
Os.1/11.DE. Tulo 4696/6.
Alikersantti Pylkäs, Viljam. 28.2.12. Sakkola. 1.KKK/JR 8. Vm 1. Rautaristi.
11.4. kävi alikers. Pylkäs vapaaehtoisesti parin miehen kanssa asemien edessä partiossa, tuoden tärkeitä tietoja vihollisesta, vahvuudesta, kulkusuunnasta ym., jonka perusteella KV-"Yrjön" puolustus järjestettiin. Noin tunnin kuluttua tämän jälkeen vihollinen tekikin hyökkäyksen KV.ta vastaan, mutta torjuttiin mm. alikers. Pylkäksen tarkan kp.tulen avulla.
12.4. klo. 10.30. vihollinen yritti uudelleen suuremmilla voimilla, jolloin taas koko KV. hälytettiin, jolloin alikers. Pylkäs kp:een ankaran tulen alaisena ensimmäisenä syöksyi ruotsalaisten viereen, tuhoten siellä henkilökohtaisesti 15 vihollista, saaden samalla itsekin luodista naarmun päähänsä, mutta jatkoi taistelua loppuun asti, toimien koko taistelun ajan rohkeasti, oma-aloitteisesti ja ripeästi.

Mangrove

Post by Mangrove » 07 Aug 2010, 12:35

John Hilly wrote: BTW, The liutenant was killed during this fight :(
JR 61 did not suffer officer casualties on April 12th.

Leo Kojo's records are more what I would have expected from Pylkäs. Same source as above. Interesting that Kojo fought next to Pylkäs regiment and has same kind of feets attributed to him as Pylkäs;
- Destroyed 80-men strong enemy at Gora-on-Svir on December 21st 1941.
- His platoon rebelled 100 enemies and destroyed most of them on 23rd.
- Destroyed a 50-men strong enemy on the 24th.
- With an aid of a courier he personally 25 dugouts and gun nests and about fifty enemies inside them on 28th. etc.
Ylikers. Kojo, Leo Johannes. 28.6.1917. Parikkala. 3./RJ.P 4. VM 1. 2.lk Mannerheim-ristin ritariksi.
Ylikers. Kojo toimi sodan alussa ryhmän johtajana. Esimerkillisellä toiminnallaan hän innostutti miehiään ja pelottomana taistelijana sai ryhmäänsä erinomaisen taisteluhengen, jonka ansiosta koko Kannaksen etenemisvaiheen aikana käytettiin ryhmää iskuryhmänä. Esimerkillisestä toiminnasta oli seurauksena pienet tappiot ja hyvät tulokset. Mm:ssa oli Kojon ryhmä 9 kertaa tiedustelupartiona kaukana vihollisen selustassa tuoden arvokkaita tietoja, tuottaen viholliselle tappiota ja räjäyttäen yhdellä partiomatkalla 3 vihollisen korsua, joissa tuhoutui runsaasti vihollisia.
21.12.41. hyökkäyksessä Goran kylään valtasi Kojo n.s. "Kaljukukkulan", tuhoten useita pesäkkeitä sekä oma-aloitteisesti katkaisi vihollisen huoltotien, tuhosi 80-miehisen vihollisosaston viimeiseen mieheen ja useita hevosia kuormineen, joista saatiin huomattava sotasaalis.

22.12.41 otti ylikers. Kojo joukkueen johtajan kaaduttua joukkueen johtoonsa hyökäten pimeän turvin edelleen syvälle vihollisasemiin ja vyörytti asemia niin, että sai noin 50-miehisen vihollisosaston mottiin, tuhoten tämän kaksi päivää myöhemmin viimeiseen mieheen saaden samalla sille kuuluvan aseistuksen sotasaaliiksi. Koko asemien vyörytyksessä eteni Kojo ensimmäisenä käsikranaatteja ja kasapanoksia heittäen vieden miehet omalla esimerkillään eteenpäin.

23.12.41 torjui joukkue noin 100-miehisen vihollisosaston avuksituloyrityksen tuhoten näistä suurimman osan.
Jälleen erään kukkulan valtauksessa 28.12.41 kunnostautui Kojo. Aamuhämärän turvin suoritetussa hyökkäyksessä hän taistelulähetin avustamana syöksyi vihollisasemiin, kasapanoksilla tuhosi 25 korsua ja pesäkettä, joihin jäi noin 50 vihollista kaatuneina ja huomattavasti aseita. Joukkueensa hän jätti asemiin, työskentelyään tulella tukemaan, antaen ihmeellisen näytteen koko joukolle suomalaisen sotilaan taidosta ja rohkeudesta.

29.12.41 hyökkäyksen aikana turvasi komppanian vetäytymisen torjumalla vihollisen sivustauhan ja yhdessä 3 miehen
kanssa hylkäsi saamansa vetäytymiskehoituksen sekä tuhosi tällöin parin tunnin aikana noin 10 vihollista.
30.12.41-8.1.42 välisenä aikana oli Kojon joukkue asemissa etulinjassa ankarassa tykistötulessa torjuen useita vihollisen sitkeitä hyökkäyksiä.
Hyökkäystä 9.1.42 jatkettaessa Kojo tuhosi noin 30 viholliskorsua ja pesäkettä rohkaisten väsyneet sotilaat omalla esimerkillään taistelua jatkamaan.
10.1.42 saavutti komppania tavoitteensa, jossa Kojo oli jälleen ensimmäisenä kasapanoksilla tuhoten useita korsuja. Vihollisen tehdessä yllättävän vastaiskun, jäi Kojo yksin asemiin ampuen noin 20 vihollista sekä suoranaisella uhkarohkeudellaan piti asemat kunnes lisävoimia ennätti saapua paikalle. Tässä kovassa taistelussa oli ylikers. Kojolla ratkaiseva osuus koko taistelun menestykselliseen lopputulokseen.

Edelleen myöhemmin suoritetuissa taisteluissa on ylikers. Kojo osoittanut henkilökohtaista rohkeutta sekä johtajataitoa. Itseään säästämättä hän on omalla esimerkillään luonut alaisiinsa erinomaisen taisteluhengen, josta Pertjärven [?]teja tuhotessa lukemattomia kertoja sai nähdä esimerkiksi kelpaavia suorituksia.

SovietEurope

Post by SovietEurope » 13 Aug 2010, 02:12

yes yes, now let us post a story about ivan invanovich who sniped 120 Finns in one day.

Jagala

Post by Jagala » 13 Aug 2010, 11:21

Well, when we are talking abut Rokka we are talking about a fictional character and when we are talking about Pylkäs we are talking about an extremely atypical situation and outcome, whether he killed 15, 64 or 80 enemy soldiers in that firefight.

It is true that it is quite difficult to believe that Sarjanen has a degree in history and to my knowledge no serious historian or even an amateur has yet bothered to try and look into the "truth of the matter". (FWIW I can think of at least three reasons why not - and a desire to perpetuate a myth is not among them.)

Martti, exactly what documents are you quoting? I know that commanders wrote (or ordered someone to write) applications describing the deeds of soldiers they thought deserving of a higher decoration than they could award; this was so of course for the Mannerheim Cross, but was it also for all grades of Vapaudenmitali? And who had the right to award what and at what point was written documentation necessary?

(In some armies high awards were issued with a citation, but I thought that in Finland this was true only of the MC, but I could be completely wrong.)

"Tuntemattoman sotilaan rykmentti JR 8" gives Rummukainen (the "model" for Rahikainen) as not an eye witness to the firefight but as someone who counted the enemy KIA in front of Pylkäs' position. Some of them were no doubt killed by riflemen in the vicinity; IIRC Pylkäs himself (in his ghost-written book) does not attempt to give a number, but mentions that a rifleman shot three soldiers.

Mangrove

Post by Mangrove » 13 Aug 2010, 11:37

Jagala wrote: Martti, exactly what documents are you quoting? I know that commanders wrote (or ordered someone to write) applications describing the deeds of soldiers they thought deserving of a higher decoration than they could award; this was so of course for the Mannerheim Cross, but was it also for all grades of Vapaudenmitali? And who had the right to award what and at what point was written documentation necessary?
The only place I could find his name was in this page. I went through all battalion's combat reports and memoirs I found find from the archive. The folder is labeled as "Vapaudenristejä kosk.asiat, ehdotukset, tiedustelut ym.", but as the Order of the Cross of Liberty included also the medals and the Mannerheim Cross some of the "lower" and "higher" deeds can be found at the same folder.

I can't remember if I've seen a citation for medals, but certainly all cross awards had a citation, short or long, included. The basis for awarding the Cross of Liberty was to fill a form "Kaavake 1. Esitys vapaudenristin myöntämisestä." as it was in the case of Kojo. On the other hand Pylkäs' form was custom made due the Iron Cross not being a Finnish award. The recommender was usually written on the top left hand of the form. in Kojo's case it was someone from Rj.P 4 / "K.D. N:o 1028/I/7.". Individual soldiers could be awarded at any time, but it was customary to give away number of awards per battalion after a major battle like it was in the case of Pylkäs.

Return to “Winter War & Continuation War”