Finnish military-industry might leading up to the Winter War

Discussions on the Winter War and Continuation War, the wars between Finland and the USSR.
Hosted by Juha Tompuri
CanKiwi2

Finnish military-industry might leading up to the Winter War

Post by CanKiwi2 » 10 Jun 2011, 16:24

I'm starting to do a write-up on different aspects of Finnish military industrial might :D for my "What-If" - but before I go tweaking things, I wanted to get the core content as historically accurate as possible. I'm starting with a write up on Ilmailuvoimien Lentokonetehdas and Valtion Lentokonetehdas - I know there's some good Finnish history books out there like Jukka Raunio's "Valtion lentokonetehtaan historia Osa 1: Pioneerivuodet 1921-1932" but I dontt have access to these and it would take me a while to work thru them if I did.

So, a request. Could you all point me to links, existing threads and photos on the Web on Ilmailuvoimien Lentokonetehdas and Valtion Lentokonetehdas - Finnish or English. Or if you have anything you can post (easily...)

Also an initial couple of requests - does anyone have a photo of Kurt Volmar they could post, along with any others of the people and the factories?

I'm working on my write-up at the moment, will post a draft when I'm done and ask for comments / feedback / suggestions. Of course, after use in the resulting "What-If", it may emerge a little differently :milsmile:

Kiitos.......Nigel
ex Ngāti Tumatauenga ("Tribe of the Maori War God") aka the New Zealand Army

JTV

Re: Finnish military-industry might leading up to the Winter

Post by JTV » 10 Jun 2011, 22:18

Some information translated from Finnish-language Wikipedia to provide a starting point:

Russian military airport near Turku was captured by Finnish White Army in during late part of Civil War. Late 1918 making repairs to aircraft and aircraft engines belonging to Finnish Air Force was started in there. Autumn of 1919 the repairshop was transferred to Santahamina military base (in Helsinki) and named as "Ilmailutelakka" (literally: aero dockyard), which was part of Aero Battalion (Ilmailupataljoona, later renamed as Lentopataljoona aka Flight Battalion). This "dockyard" took care of repairing aircraft and their engines.

Separate aircraft factory got under way in year 1920. May of 1920 Air Force Aircraft Factory (Ilmavoimien Lentokonetehdas, abbreviation IVL or I.V.L.) to Suomenlinna and existed alongside "Aero dockyard". The most numerous aircraft type manufactured in this factory early on was Hansa Bradenburg - about 100 of which were manufactured. Soon Aero dockyard and the factory were seperated as seperate units both belonging to Air Force, but for practical reasons they were united as State Aircraft Factory (Valtion Lentokonetehdas, abbreviations VLT and VL) in 23rd of February 1928. State Aircraft Factory was transferred to Tampere in year 1936 and later from there to Kuorevesi (due to the factory being decentralized during the war part of factory called VL2 was tranferred to Kuorevesi, where it started in year 1941).

6th of September 1945 all Finnish state-owned defence industry was united as State Metal Factories (Valtion Metallitehtaat, abbreviation VMT). 1st of January 1952 VMT was renamed as Valmet Oy, the aircraft factory was named as Valmet Aircraft Industry (Valmet Lentokoneteollisuus).

Early on main aircraft designer of the factory was engineer K.W Bergen, whose designs (besides training aircraft Sääski) didn't get beyond prototype stage. Early 1930's he was replaced by Arvo Ylinen, who succeeded designing some successful training aircraft (VL Tuisku and VL Viima). Besides manufacturing aircraft the factory was also main repair facility for aicraft of Finnish Air Force.

Below are some photos that I took from the old factory building, which was the factory building of Ilmavoimien Lentokonetehdas in 1921 - 1928 and Valtion Lentokonetehdas in 1928 - 1936. Photos taken by yours truly in Suomenlinna about year ago.

Jarkko

Seppo Koivisto

Post by Seppo Koivisto » 10 Jun 2011, 22:50

Attachments
IMG_8102_KVBerger_.jpg
K.V. Berger (Raunio: VL historia 1)
IMG_8102_KVBerger_.jpg (23.48 KiB) Viewed 6096 times

Hanski

Post by Hanski » 11 Jun 2011, 18:52

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VL_S%C3%A4%C3%A4ski

VL Sääski (="mosquito") II at the Maritime Centre Vellamo in Kotka, with Coast Guard insignia of the 1920's.
Attachments
Saaski.jpg

CanKiwi2

Ilmailuvoimien Lentokonetehdas / the Finnish Airforce Aircra

Post by CanKiwi2 » 13 Jun 2011, 16:12

Thx for the info and the photos :D

1st installment - on Ilmailuvoimien Lentokonetehdas / the Finnish Airforce Aircraft Factory - how does this look as a summary (not trying to write the book here, just provide a good accurate overview)

Ilmailuvoimien Lentokonetehdas / the Finnish Airforce Aircraft Factory)

Valtion Lentokonetehdas or VL as it was more commonly referred to, started life as IVL (Ilmailuvoimien Lentokonetehdas / the Finnish Airforce Aircraft Factory) founded in 1921. But the starting point had actually been a little earlier – in the Civil War, the Russian military airport near Turku had been captured by the Finnish White Army and in late 1918, repairs to aircraft and aircraft engines belonging to the nacent Ilmavoimat were made there. In the autumn of 1919 the repairshop was transferred to Santahamina military base (in Helsinki) and renamed "Ilmailutelakka" (literally: Aero Dockyard), and was made a unit of the “Ilmailupataljoona” (Aero Battalion) which was then later renamed “Lentopataljoona” (Flight Battalion). This "dockyard" took care of repairing aircraft and their engines and was, as the name illustrates, a seaplane base.A separate aircraft factory got under way in 1920 amd in May of 1920 Ilmailuvoimien Lentokonetehdas (usually abbreviated to IVL or I.V.L) existed alongside the "Aero Dockyard."

IVL had begun its production at Suomenlinna and Santahamina in Helsinki, with the Suomenlinna location being used for new aircraft construction and Santahamina being used as the repair base for aircraft and engines. The early aircraft factory did not have an airport, only the sea and sea ice could be used for take-off and landing as most of the aircraft built in Helsinki were seaplanes. The aircraft built were small and much of the final assembly was done outdoors. IVL’s first managing director was Luutnantti (Lt) Asser Järvinen who had studied aircraft building in France, which at that time was one of the best sources of aviation expertise, for a short period.
Ilmavoimien Lentokonetehdas factory, IVL – late 1920’s

Two photos of the exterior of the old aircraft factory building, this was the factory building of Ilmavoimien Lentokonetehdas from 1921 - 1928 and Valtion Lentokonetehdas from 1928 - 1936. Photos taken by Jarkko in Suomenlinna in 2010 (photo courtesy of http://www.jaegerplatoon.net).

Two photos of the exterior of the old aircraft factory building, this was the factory building of Ilmavoimien Lentokonetehdas from 1921 - 1928 and Valtion Lentokonetehdas from 1928 - 1936. Photos taken by Jarkko in Suomenlinna in 2010 (photo courtesy of http://www.jaegerplatoon.net).

The first aircraft to be built by IVL were the Hansa-Brandenburg aircraft mentioned in an earlier post on the Ilmavoimat – in 1921 Finland had obtained the manufacturing license for the Hansa-Brandenburg W.33. The first Finnish IVL -built Hansa made its maiden flight on November 4, 1922 and was in Finland was designated the IVL A.22 Hansa. This aircraft was the first industrially manufactured aircraft in Finland and over the following four years a total of 120 of the aircraft were manufactured. This aircraft would become the second most numerous aircraft built in Finland for the Finnish Air Force. With the purchase of the license to build the Hansa-Brandenburgs, six Germans came to work in the Suomenlinna factory, where they were supported by 12 Finnish mechanics and carpenters. G. Semeniuksen managed the factory and G. Jäderholm was the test pilot.

The IVL A.22 Hansa was a Finnish-licensed copy of the German Hansa-Brandenburg W.33, a two-seat, singe-engined low-winged monoplane flying boat. The Hansa-Brandenburg W.33 was designed in 1916 by Ernst Heinkel and entered German service in 1918. Twenty-six aircraft of this design were built in Germany, only six of them before the collapse of Germany. The W.33 proved to be an excellent aircraft, with the Hansa-Brandenburg monoplanes considerably influencing German seaplane design. Several copies appeared in 1918, such as the Friedrichshafen FF.63, the Dornier Cs-I, the Junkers J.11, and the L.F.G. Roland ME 8. After the war a version of the W.29 was also used by Denmark.
Hansa-Brandenburg. Technical information: Wooden construction, two-seat sea plane. Weight 2124 kg, Max speed 170 km/h (99mph), wingspan 15.85 m, length 11.10 m, endurance 6 hours. Weapons: navigator's twin machine gun, bombs 4x10 kg. It had good flight characteristics, but its gross weight tended to increase with age due to water soaking, which led to problems in calm weather takeoffs.

Of Note: The Finnish Broadcasting Company Yle has been transferring it's archives to the internet and one of the videos is about the Finnish Air Force Airshow in 1926. The plane in the film is 4F66 which was the 66th Hansa build in Finland. It was taken into service in 20th December 1924. To see the video click the link and press "play" below the image and next to "armeijan lentonäytös". If you have enough bandwidth you can choose bigger image by pressing "play" and then select "asetukset" from right hand top corner and then select "1 Mbps tai nopeampi" and "tallenna asetukset".
http://www.yle.fi/elavaarkisto/?s=s&g=1&ag=1&t=&a=47

A new, longer version of this film has also been published. More Hansa’s and a Breguet 14. Use this link.
http://www.yle.fi/elavaarkisto/?s=s&g=1&ag=1&a=2306

The Santahamina factory also built six Caudron G.3 Aircraft under license between 1920 and 1924 (incidentally, construction of the Caudron G.3’s started prior to the Hansa-Brandenburgs ). 12 had been bought from France, six were built in Finland by the newly established Santahaminan Ilmailutelakka and two aircraft and spares were purchased from Flyg Aktiebolaget on April 26, 1923 together with a Caudron G.4 for 100,000 Finnish markka. The Finnish-constructed aircraft had worse flying characteristics than the French machines due to a bad wing profile. The FAF used a total of 19 Caudron G.3 aircraft, which was called Tutankhamon in Finland. The Caudron G.3 was used by the FAF between 1920 and 1924.
The Caudron G.3 was a single-engined French biplane built by Caudron, widely used in World War I as a reconnaissance aircraft and trainer. It first flew in May 1914 at their Le Crotoy aerodrome. The aircraft had a short crew nacelle, with a single engine in the nose of the nacelle, and twin open tailbooms. It was of sesquiplane layout, and used wing warping for lateral control, although this was replaced by conventional ailerons fitted on the upper wing in late production aircraft. Following the outbreak of the First World War, it was ordered in large quantities. Usually, the G.3 was not equipped with any weapons, although sometimes light, small calibre machine guns and some hand-released small bombs were fitted to it. It continued in use as a trainer after ceasing combat operations until after the end of the war. One aircraft (1E.18) is currently being repaired at the Hallinportti Aviation Museum.

In 1922, the company hired an engineer, K W Berger, who had studied in London. He first designed an improved propeller for the Hansa Brandenburg and then went on to design the C.24 (1924), C.VI.25 (1925) and Haukka I (1927) - only a single prototype of each was built. In 1928 two prototypes of the Haukka II were built. None of these aircraft were mass-produced and only the Haukka could be said to be a successful design. In 1928 a prototype of Berger’s Sääski design was tested and the aircraft was then mass produced as a Trainer. Berger then designed the Kotka – a two-seat, biplane maritime patrol aircraft meant to replace the Blackburn Ripons that were in service with the Finnish Air Force. A prototype made its first flight on September 30, 1930. In 1931 the State Aircraft Factory began producing a series of five aircraft. These were used as liaison aircraft until 1944. Berger also participated in decisions of the Finnish Air Force on the purchases of foreign fighters from Czechoslovakia, Great Britain, the Netherlands, Italy and France in the late 1920s and early 1930s. Berger was dismissed from his position at VL during a company restructuring in 1933.
Kurt Volmar Berger (1896–1977) was an aviation engineer and the chief designer at the Finnish aircraft manufacturing company Valtion Lentokonetehtaat for a number of years. K. V. Berger's father, Arnold Berger, was a minister and his mother was Fanny Berger. He became a student at Helsingin Uusi Yhteiskoulu in 1916 and studied as an electrical engineer at the Helsinki University of Technology starting the same autumn, but then volunteered for service with the Jaegers. In 1918 he traveled to Libau in Germany, where he started pilot training on float-equipped aircraft. However, his pilot training was interrupted by the end of World War I and by Germany losing the war. In the end, Berger managed to receive his international civil pilot papers in 1921. In order to continue with his studies, he enrolled at the East London College in 1919 (nowadays called Queen Mary School, University of London), graduating on 5 September 1922.

He was appointed Engineer at the Finnish Air Force Headquarters at Santahamina on 1 November 1923, and later Chief Engineer in 1 March 1924. He was then sent to the Finnish Air Force Aircraft Manufacturing company (Ilmavoimien Lentokonetehdas) where he went on to design the IVL C.24, IVL Haukka I, IVL Haukka II, IVL Sääski and the IVL Kotka aircraft. Berger also participated in decisions of the Finnish Air Force on the purchases of foreign fighters from Czechoslovakia, Great Britain, Italy and France in the late 1920s and early 1930s. Berger was dismissed from his position at VL during a company restructuring in 1933. He continued to work as aircraft inspector at Lentoasema I and Flight Regiment 2. During the Soviet-Finnish Winter War of 1939–40 he supervised the assembly of the Brewster Buffalo fighters in Sweden, as well as served as Chief Engineer of Maintenance and Office Engineer at Finnish Air Force Headquarters. After WW2 he continued in business as a private entrepreneur.

The Ilmavoimat had also purchased 30 Caudron C.60s from France in 1923. A further 34 aircraft were licence built in Finland between 1927 and 1928. These were used as primary trainers until 1936, when they were retired as more modern trainers were brought into service. With a maximum speed of 93mph, a ceiling of 13,120 feet and an endurance of 5 hours, they were a typical biplane trainer of the 1920’s.
Caudron C.60 Trainer

In 1924, IVL built a prototype of the Berger-designed C.24. The IVL C.24 was the first aircraft to be completely designed and built from the ground up in Finland but only one example of the aircraft was manufactured by IVL. The aircraft made its maiden flight on April 16, 1924, piloted by Georg Jäderholm. The aircraft was a single-seater, high-wing monoplane and was designed as a fighter. However, the selected birotary engine was underpowered and proved a complete failure, spelling the doom of the project. Worse, flight characteristics were poor and the visibility from the pilot's seat was also very poor. The aircraft was in Finnish Air Force use for a short time as a prototype only.
IVL C.24 at Suomenlinna in the Spring of 1924.

The IVL C.VI.25 was further development of the IVL C.24. Designed by Berger as a fighter, the aircraft made its maiden flight on June 11, 1925 and was wrecked after a forced landing due to engine trouble on December 17, 1925. The aircraft was under-powered like its predecessor, due to the choice of the same cheap but useless engine as used in its predecessor and it was not considered worthwhile to carry out further development.
The IVL C.VI.25

In 1927 Ilmailuvoimien Lentokonetehdas built a prototype of the K.1 Kurki (“Crane”) – designed by Asser Järvinen, this was intended as a four-seated, high-wing trainer aircraft. The prototype was manufactured at the IVL plant at Suomenlinna and made its maiden flight on March 30, 1927. The aircraft was both over weight and too front-heavy. It also had poor flight characteristics. The Finnish Air Force only flew the aircraft 13 hours. No development potential was seen for the overweight "Järvinen's crate", and work on the project was terminated. Only one aircraft was manufactured (the Päijät-Häme Aviation Museum has stored the only Kurki manufactured).
I.V.L K.1 Kurki

The remains of the only K.1 Kurki in existence - Päijät-Häme Aviation Museum

Overall, aircraft built under the auspices of Ilmailuvoimien Lentokonetehdas included:
Caudron G.3 – 6 built under license
IVL A.22 Hansa-Brandenburg W.33 – 120 built under license
IVL C.24 (protype only)
IVL C.25 (prototype only)
Caudron C.60 – 34 built under license
IVL D.26 Haukka I (prototype only)
IVL K1. Kurki (prototype only)

Valtion Lentokonetehdas or VL as it was more commonly referred to, was founded on 23 February 1928 from I.V.L (the Finnish Airforce Aircraft Factory), at which time the company was transferred from the Ilmavoimat to the Ministry of Defence.

Next Post: Valtion Lentokonetehdas

And if anyone has any photos of, and information on, Georg Jäderholm and Asser Järvinen that they could post, that would be appreciated. Also any photos of the aircraft actually being built?

Kiitos..........Nigel

CanKiwi2

Post by CanKiwi2 » 13 Jun 2011, 16:31

And here's one I missed, hadn't picked up before that some of these were built by IVL

In 1926, the Ilmavoimat ordered six Koolhoven F.K.31 two-seat reconnaissance aircraft from the Dutch firm of Koolhoven practically without evaluation and also purchased a manufacturing license. Six Koolhoven’s were built by Ilmailuvoimien Lentokonetehdas. Unfortunately, on taking delivery and testing the aircraft, they were immediately found to be inadequate in all respects and had a weak airframe –simply put, they were dangerous to fly. The Finnish-built aircraft even turned out to be inferior to the Dutch-built examples. Thanks to the exceptionally small number of hours flown and prudent utilization no lives were lost, and by 1932 all 12 Koolhovens had been retired from service.

Koolhoven F.K. 31 in summer 1930 at the factory at Suomenlinna

CanKiwi2

Gamma-Juhasz Predictor?

Post by CanKiwi2 » 13 Jun 2011, 18:56

Jumping ahead of myself here (multiple research threads running at the same time inside my head....) but I was reading thru the Ilmatorjuntamuseo site and saw a referemc to Gamma-Juhasz Predictors. Apparantly 12 of these predictors were built in Finland. The first three were assigned to Turku in 1941. Couldn't track down any other references to these online. Does anyone have any info on them. Who designed, developed and built them, that kind of thing? And of course any photos?

Kiitos..........Nigel

peeved

Post by peeved » 13 Jun 2011, 19:28

CanKiwi2 wrote:Jumping ahead of myself here (multiple research threads running at the same time inside my head....) but I was reading thru the Ilmatorjuntamuseo site and saw a referemc to Gamma-Juhasz Predictors. Apparantly 12 of these predictors were built in Finland. The first three were assigned to Turku in 1941. Couldn't track down any other references to these online. Does anyone have any info on them. Who designed, developed and built them, that kind of thing? And of course any photos?
From what I can gather from Hungarian texts the designer was István Juhász from the firm Gamma Finommechanikai és Optikai Művek. License-produced in Finland by Strömberg; The last three delivered in 1946 according to http://www.ilmatorjuntamuseo.fi/page.ph ... tulenjohto . Photo at http://www.militaryphotos.net/forums/sh ... aft-museum

Markus

Hanski

Post by Hanski » 13 Jun 2011, 19:34

Just a direct translation of the Finnish web page of the AA-Museum on the Gamma-Juhasz Predictors:

Strömberg Company manufactured under license the Hungarian predictor. The three first ones were received directly from Sweden, for the Bofors cannons purchased by the Turku Region Home Defense Foundation. in Finland all of the predictors ordered in 1938 were not produced in time, but the last three ones were not delivered to the Defense Forces until 23 January 1946.

peeved

Post by peeved » 13 Jun 2011, 20:34

From http://www.hungarianquarterly.com/no162/020.html
In 1930, István Juhász, a mechanical engineer, was granted a patent on an automatic fire director (the last of his three patents was dated 1939). The Gamma-Juhász automatic fire director (used by anti-aircraft gun batteries) was developed and manufactured in the Gamma Works (owned by the Juhász brothers). They exported the device to Sweden (a plant in Stockholm existed under Hungarian management), Switzerland, Italy, Holland, Norway, Finland, Poland, China, Persia and Argentine.

CanKiwi2

Post by CanKiwi2 » 13 Jun 2011, 21:51

peeved wrote:From http://www.hungarianquarterly.com/no162/020.html
In 1930, István Juhász, a mechanical engineer, was granted a patent on an automatic fire director (the last of his three patents was dated 1939). The Gamma-Juhász automatic fire director (used by anti-aircraft gun batteries) was developed and manufactured in the Gamma Works (owned by the Juhász brothers). They exported the device to Sweden (a plant in Stockholm existed under Hungarian management), Switzerland, Italy, Holland, Norway, Finland, Poland, China, Persia and Argentine.
Thx everyone. For what it's worth, here's a summary from all the sources:

The "Gamma" Technology Company was formed on May 18 1920 in Hungary by Charles Dréger, an electro-mechanical engineer, Arthur Braun and Laszlo Zsigmond, an ex merchant-ship captain. The objective of the company was to focus on the field of precision mechanics and electrical engineering. On May 6th, 1921 due to ”poor economic conditions” the Board of Directors and the Supervisory Board resigned and were replaced. The company and factory were taken over and relaunched by brothers István and Zoltan Juhász (who were both engineers) who, together with 4 workers and their own savings, worked on concepts requiring precision engineering and manufacturing. From 1926 on the company began to manufacture and repair scientific and experimental equipment and surveying instruments, with a two-storey factory building constructed in the autumn of 1926. By 1933, the factory employed 110 people and was a leading producer of optical equipment as well as Geodetic instruments, theodolites, motors, precision casts and the like. The factory still stands and is in operation on its original site despite WW2 and forty five years of a nationalized economy.

István Juhász’s dream however was to develop a modern anti0aircraft targeting device. With the development of eromechanics, precise distance measurement and fire control based on quick mathematical methods became very important. Juhász’ invention was a mechanical recorder operating as an analog memory which represented the ballistic curves on the surface of a hard precision body. On the basis of the measured situation and speed of the approaching aircraft, the device was able to produced electyronic signals that allowed anti-aircraft guns to be precisely aimed. In 1930, István Juhász, a mechanical engineer, was granted a patent on an automatic fire director (the last of his three patents was dated 1939) and the first Gamma-built automatic fire-director capable of directing the fire of anti-aircraft batteries was built soon after, in the early 1930’s. Prior to WW2, the Gamma-Juhász automatic fire director was exported to Sweden (a plant in Stockholm existed under Hungarian management), Switzerland, Italy, Holland, Norway, Finland, Poland, China, Persia and the Argentine. An order was also received from the Soviet Union but this was not fulfilled before WW2 broke out. The invention proved to be very successful in the hands of the Chinese during the Japanese-Chinese war. The increases in orders for this device as the prospects of war increased required the expansion and modernization of the Gamma factory in Hungary. In service, it proved to be rugged, well-able to tolerate the stresses of military use and easy for the operator to use.

The Gamma-Juhász automatic fire director was license-produced in Finland by Ab Strömberg Oy. Finland ordered 12 of these predictors in 1938. The first three were received directly from Sweden and used for the Bofors AA Guns purchased by the Turku Region Home Defense Foundation while the remaining 9 were manufactured by Ab Strömberg Oy, with the last three not delivered to the Defense Forces until 23 January 1946.

Anyone have any idea why it took so long to build these - and were there really only 12 in all?

ML

Post by ML » 14 Jun 2011, 08:21

Scale 1:72 model of seaplane hangars in Santahamina, with I.V.L. A.22 Hansa and Caudron C.60 planes:
http://www.pienoismallit.net/galleria/malli_1936/

John Hilly

Post by John Hilly » 14 Jun 2011, 11:00

CanKiwi2 wrote:In the autumn of 1919 the repairshop was transferred to Santahamina military base (in Helsinki) and renamed "Ilmailutelakka" (literally: Aero Dockyard), and was made a unit of the “Ilmailupataljoona” (Aero Battalion) which was then later renamed “Lentopataljoona” (Flight Battalion). This "dockyard" took care of repairing aircraft and their engines and was, as the name illustrates, a seaplane base.A separate aircraft factory got under way in 1920 amd in May of 1920 Ilmailuvoimien Lentokonetehdas (usually abbreviated to IVL or I.V.L) existed alongside the "Aero Dockyard."
Why "Aero", why not "Aviation"?
CanKiwi2 wrote:The Gamma-Juhász automatic fire director was license-produced in Finland by Ab Strömberg Oy. Finland ordered 12 of these predictors in 1938. The first three were received directly from Sweden and used for the Bofors AA Guns purchased by the Turku Region Home Defense Foundation while the remaining 9 were manufactured by Ab Strömberg Oy, with the last three not delivered to the Defense Forces until 23 January 1946.
Anyone have any idea why it took so long to build these - and were there really only 12 in all?
There were only 12 suitable Bofors batteries to use them?
BTW, Finnish "Ilmatorjunnan käsikirjasto" - "AA handbook library" - published its # 9:"Keskustulenjohtolaite Gamma-Juhász" or "The Gamma-Juhász automatic fire director" not until 1950!

Greets
Juha-Pekka :milwink:
"Die Blechtrommel trommelt noch!"

Juha Tompuri
Forum Staff

Post by Juha Tompuri » 14 Jun 2011, 12:13

Thanks for interesting info again, Nigel.
CanKiwi2 wrote:Anyone have any idea why it took so long to build these - and were there really only 12 in all?
Vehviläinen, Lappi and Palokangas book Itsenäisen Suomen Ilmatorjuntatykit 1917-2000 (The anti-aircraft guns of independent Finland 1917-2000) mentions two numbers: either 12 or 13.
That book mentions that 1938 5 predictors were ordered, 1939 4 more and later 3 more.
Strömberg is mentioned to have delivered the 5 first ones 15th May-40, next ones 8th Dec-43 and the last ones 1946.
At another page it is mentioned that 3 first ones were purchased 1941? next one 1944 and the last 9 (!, JT) 1944-1946.
No mention of Swedish produced versions being delivered to Finland.

If counting all the sub-versions too, Finns had around 20 different types of predictors + all manual 3-T mehod.
Here some related info from the past: http://forum.axishistory.com/viewtopic. ... 6878&hilit

Regards, Juha

CanKiwi2

Post by CanKiwi2 » 14 Jun 2011, 13:40

John Hilly wrote:Why "Aero", why not "Aviation"?

Greets
Juha-Pekka :milwink:
Well, that was the way it translated online - I use google translate on web pages and some translation software I bought for stuff I scan in and convert to text from books. Either way, it''s not 100% accurate - about 80-90% of the time you can get the meaning but the conversion to english grammer and the use of the correct words is rather subjective. I usually work thru it to tidy it up and get the english more or less making sense (maybe not quite correct tho.....) - I guess "Aero" seemed right in the context so I didn't change it but now you mention it, "Aviation" is a more appropriate translation.
John Hilly wrote:There were only 12 suitable Bofors batteries to use them?
Now that makes sense :D

Return to “Winter War & Continuation War”