Finnish radio trucks and liaison vehicles?

Discussions on the Winter War and Continuation War, the wars between Finland and the USSR.
Hosted by Juha Tompuri
Milgeek

Finnish radio trucks and liaison vehicles?

Post by Milgeek » 09 Jul 2012, 07:57

Here's something I haven't even been able to find a single photo of - radio trucks!

Can anyone tell me if the Fins made use of radio vehicles - either ones bought from Germany (Henschel or Opel Blitz conversions) or captured Soviet models (ZIS-5 radio trucks) or a home grown solution?

I know radio equipment was scarce in the Finnish army, but I wonder if they had radio co-ordination vehicles for command?

Additionally, I have seen a lot of pictures of cars being used for staff/liaison (mostly ex-civilian cars like Fords, Opels and Volvos), but didn't the Finns have something similar to the jeep for forward use?

Did they capture any Soviet GAZ jeeps? Or were German Kubels is wide use?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Steve

Mangrove

Re: Finnish radio trucks and liaison vehicles?

Post by Mangrove » 09 Jul 2012, 10:14

Milgeek wrote: Can anyone tell me if the Fins made use of radio vehicles - either ones bought from Germany (Henschel or Opel Blitz conversions) or captured Soviet models (ZIS-5 radio trucks) or a home grown solution?
It's my understanding that only 3./PM Rad.P, a Finnish radio intelligence company, employed radio cars. They had several Volvo trucks/busses fitted with radio equipment.

Milgeek wrote: Additionally, I have seen a lot of pictures of cars being used for staff/liaison (mostly ex-civilian cars like Fords, Opels and Volvos), but didn't the Finns have something similar to the jeep for forward use?
During the course of the War, Finns captured total of 134 Soviet cars and 274 "special use cars" (fi: erikoisauto) but there are no references to captured jeeps that I am aware of. In short there were enough civilian cars for staff use and no use for specialized cars in the front line as horses were common enough and needed anyway. However few Kübelwagens were employed in the Armoured Division as staff cars.

http://www.andreaslarka.net/JohanssonSten/kubel.html

Milgeek

Post by Milgeek » 10 Dec 2012, 14:32

Many thank Martti, sorry it's taken me so long to reply but I've been trying hard and find out what make & model of radio truck that is in the black and white photo that you included.

At first I thought it was a Renault, but I *think* it is actually a Fiat 626 radio truck (626NLM)...

Source: Wikipedia

I hope it is as the Fiat 262 is available as a resin kit in 1/72. And it will make a unusual piece for my Finnish 1944 war game army.

Anyone any information or comments about the 626 in Finnish service?

M
Last edited by Milgeek on 10 Dec 2012, 23:00, edited 1 time in total.

JTV

Post by JTV » 10 Dec 2012, 16:31

Another less famous specially built staff car used by Finnish military was Vidal G 1200 Tempo. According recent article by Kari Kuusela in Suomen Sotilas magazine Finnish Armed Forces acquired about 100 of these cars during World War 2. Apparently these included both shorter (4-seated) and longer (6-seated) version of the car.

Jarkko

Milgeek

Post by Milgeek » 10 Dec 2012, 20:04

Many thanks Jarkko... What a interesting vehicle!

I found a short wartime news-reel about it here: http://youtu.be/uOqVp3y-SAY

According to the Wikipedia entry: "A rare four-wheel drive car at the time was mainly commanders use."

Unfortunately, as you can imagine, there isn't anything available as a 1/72 kit (though I did find mention of a 1/35 resin model). But I would love to include this unusual vehicle in my collection.

...Imagine - two engines! It's no wonder the German Army decided against it. :D
Last edited by Milgeek on 10 Dec 2012, 23:00, edited 1 time in total.

JTV

Post by JTV » 10 Dec 2012, 21:51

I seriously doubt that the radio trucks are FIAT 626. I took a peak to book Puolustusvoimien moottoriajoneuvot 1919 - 1959 (Motor Vehicles of the Defence Forces 1919 - 1959) by Markku Mäkipirtti.

Page 157 has inventory list of special vehicles dated 15th of November 1944. According it radio vehicles included at that time:
- 18 Volvo
- 7 captured Ford (Soviet GAZ AA, AAA etc)
- 6 Ford
- 4 Steyer
- 1 Federal

The total number of Kübelwagen in Finnish use was just eight cars, from which seven had been delivered with Stu 40G assault guns (page 161).

As noted no really such thing as liaison cars in Finnish use unless one considers horse with cart or sleigh as one. There were staff cars issued to commanding officers of military units and who got these seems to have depended both size and type of the units. For example anti-aircraft artillery seems to have rather routinely issued staff car for battery commander, while I am uncertain if even battalion commanders typically got one. The large majority of staff cars were civilian passanger cars taken to military use, with new large US-manufactured cars from mid - late 1930's being most popular for this purpose. It might be worth noting that grand majority of passanger cars used in Finland in 1930's were US-manufactured anyway, so these were both most commonly available and most suitable cars for this sort of use.

Most common civilian passanger cars taken to military use by 1st of December 1941 (page 91):
- Ford 1990
- Chevrolet 1110
- Opel 389
- Dodge 220
- Plymouth 191
- Chrysler 170
- Studebaker 150
- Buick 124

Large number of Soviet passanger cars was captured during the war, but only very small number was taken to Finnish use. Instead captured passanger cars were commonly cannibilised for parts, which could be used in trucks. After ending of Finnish - Soviet Continuation War (June 1941 - September 1944) Finland was required to return captured soft vehicles, only passanger cars returned to Soviet Union were seven GAZ-M1-1 and three ZIS-101 (page 68).

Jarkko

Milgeek

Post by Milgeek » 10 Dec 2012, 22:59

Many, many thanks Jarkko.

That's a very comprehensive list and gave me the information I needed...I found the radio truck! :D

It is a 1940 Volvo B 12 bus (my mistake was I was looking for a 'van' and not a bus).

Cheers!

M

jorman

Post by jorman » 09 Feb 2016, 21:06

Are you still lacking the information concerning the Finnish sophisticated radio equiment in WW2????
The Finnish army had the best possible patrol radio in WW2 used By the Finnish
rangers operating beyond the enemy line. Weight roughly 5 kilos.
Your professional members may have already described the equipment named
Kyynel (Tear).

Regards
Jorman

Juha Tompuri
Forum Staff

Post by Juha Tompuri » 11 Feb 2016, 00:20

Finnish Electronic Warfare quild web page:
https://www.elsokilta.net/

1939-1945 photos, including vehicles:
http://www.elsokilta.net/gallery/index.php?cat=2

Regards, Juha

Harri

Post by Harri » 13 Aug 2016, 21:13

IIRC there was also one old experimental radio bus which was used already during the Winter War?
There were also numerous "built" and even self-made radio trucks/vans. Also propaganda companies had these made of ordinary trucks.

Some examples (SA-kuva/photo archive photos):
4483: Bearing / monitoring truck [suuntima-/kuunteluauto] at Kuhmo in February 1940.
21058: Radio bus of the TK-company at Hanko Peninsula June 1941
49429, 49431: Working in the radio truck. Radio truck number 1 / SIgnals Battalion 1 (VP 1).

Return to “Winter War & Continuation War”