Colonel Richard Lorentz

Discussions on the Winter War and Continuation War, the wars between Finland and the USSR.
Hosted by Juha Tompuri
Swing

Colonel Richard Lorentz

Post by Swing » 23 Jan 2013, 20:07

Looking for information about colonel Richard Lorenz, commander of Flying Regiment 2 (LeR 2) during 1939-1943. In particular I am looking for information on his early years, decorations and post-war life. Any add to the article at http://www.sci.fi/~fta/zimbo-01.htm is highly appreciated.

Topspeed

Re: Colonel Richard Lorentz

Post by Topspeed » 24 Jan 2013, 14:49

He was married to a woman from village of Kauhava and spent later years in Spain.

Juha Tompuri
Forum Staff

Post by Juha Tompuri » 24 Jan 2013, 22:27

There exists a book about him, written by ex-Finnish AF Commander in Chief:
http://prisma.s-verkkokauppa.fi/webapp/ ... rd-lorentz

Regards, Juha

Mangrove

Post by Mangrove » 25 Jan 2013, 16:14

Here is the information printed on book Puolustusvoimiemme upseeristo ja virkamiehistö 1934, that is the public information available of him in year 1934:

"Lorentz, Richard Julius. Major. Born 17 January 1900 at Uusikirkko (Vl.). Parents: Professor L. Hermann and Maria Muethel. Matriculation examination in 1919 at Viipurin Uusi Suomalainen Yhteiskoulu. Fought along the Venäjänsaari Expedition and Savo-Karjalan Rykmentti in the battles of Kämärä, Säiniö and Viipuri. Began conscription service on 15 June 1919 at Laivaston koulutuskunta.

At Kadettikoulu between 1919 and 1921. At Tampereen Rykmetti in 1921-25 as Junior Officer. Took part to an engineering course at Hamina in 1929 and to a communication officer course at Riihimäki in 1922. Transfer to Maatiedustelulaivue on 4 February 1925, later transferred to Maalentoeskaaderi as Junior Officer. Promotion to position of Flight Commander on 22 December 1926 and to position of Squadron Commander on 30 November 1932. Promotion to the position of the Commander of the reconnaissance squadron of Lentoasema 1 on 1 July 1933.

Completed a flight observer course in 1926. Participated to a Finnish Air Force commander course at Sotakorkeakoulu between years 1930 and 1931. Member of the Honorary Council of the Maalentoeskaaderi as of year 1933".

2nd Lt: 31 March 1921.
1st Lt: 16 May 1922
Cpt: 6 December 1922
Major: 30 November 1932

Knight of the Order of the White Rose of Finland
Medal of Freedom, 1st Class
The Commemorative Medal of the Liberation War with band
Finnish Aviation Badge

Eisenfaust

Post by Eisenfaust » 25 Jan 2013, 21:18

From Kadettikunta, jäsenet 1921-1950.
Attachments
Lorenz.jpg
Lorenz.jpg (64.02 KiB) Viewed 3455 times

JTV

Post by JTV » 26 Jan 2013, 11:47

Eisenfaust wrote:From Kadettikunta, jäsenet 1921-1950.
Essensial earlier missing parts translated:

Wife: Johanna Maria Pääsuke
Children: Maire and Heikki

Promotions:
Lieutenant Colonel 1938
Colonel 1941

Retired year 1950.

Medals (by 1950)
- VR1 tlk =Cross of Freedom 1st Class with Oak Leaves
- VR1 mk = Cross of Freedom 1st Class with Swords
- VR2 mk = Cross of Freedom 2nd Class with Swords
- SVR r = Knight for the Order of the White Rose of Finland.
- VM2 = Medal of Freedom 2nd Class
- Winter War Commemoration Medal
- Continuation War Commemoration Medal
- German Iron Cross 2nd Class

Swing

Post by Swing » 26 Jan 2013, 17:35

Thank you, guys, a lot of thanks. Just returned from Hamina with Nikunen's book about Lorentz. "Kadettikunta, jäsenet 1921-1950" is next in turn.

Juha Tompuri
Forum Staff

Post by Juha Tompuri » 26 Jan 2013, 20:29

Swing wrote:Thank you, guys, a lot of thanks. Just returned from Hamina with Nikunen's book about Lorentz.
If I remember correctly, there is some (in my opinion well justified) critique towards the Finnish WWII era AF commander Lundqvist.

Regards, Juha

P.S. Feel free to contact me sometime you visit again this part of the world :)

Esa K

Post by Esa K » 15 Feb 2014, 00:11

Hi!

For the one who's interested in Lorentz, a link to his own words: http://www.doria.fi/handle/10024/94064
kindly put here at AHF by member Mangrove in this thread http://forum.axishistory.com/viewtopic. ... 2&start=30

Best regards

Esa K

Mikko H.

Post by Mikko H. » 15 Feb 2014, 10:42

Lorentz's criticism towards his superior Lt Gen Jarl Lundqvist should be balanced by reading this recent biography:

Markku Iskanius: Tuntematon kenraali - J.F. Lundqvist

http://www.apali.fi/kauppa/product_details.php?p=438

This is the first volume of a projected two-part biography. I'm just reading it, and IMO it's the best FInnish military biography I've ever read (admittedly I haven't read that many!).

John Hilly

Post by John Hilly » 22 Feb 2014, 14:44

Mikko H. wrote:Markku Iskanius: Tuntematon kenraali - J.F. Lundqvist
Thanks for hint!
"Die Blechtrommel trommelt noch!"

Juha Tompuri
Forum Staff

Post by Juha Tompuri » 01 Apr 2014, 20:44

Mikko H. wrote:This is the first volume of a projected two-part biography. I'm just reading it, and IMO it's the best FInnish military biography I've ever read (admittedly I haven't read that many!).
Must say that here I don't share your opinion.
Even the author specifically at the preface denies the book being any "defence speech" for Lundqvist, but after reading it through, I don't buy that.
In general, I don't find it as an objective and detailed work.
However it contained a lot of new information about Lundqvist and FAF in general. At least to me.
I hope (hopefully not in vain) the 2nd part will be an improvement.

Regards, Juha
Last edited by Juha Tompuri on 01 Apr 2014, 21:02, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: adding info

Gamle Lode

Post by Gamle Lode » 09 Apr 2014, 12:41

I remember the fighter pilot Jorma Karhunen wrote in his book Talvisodan taistelulentäjät that Lorenz was "the first officer from above who started to know something about aviation".

Ilmasodan Pikkujättiläinen credits Lorenz as no less than "the creator of the modern fighter tactics", referring to the introduction of the pair formation.

durb

Post by durb » 29 May 2015, 16:16

Lorentz´s manuscript "Iskuja Ilmaan" can be found from the web: https://www.doria.fi/bitstream/handle/1 ... sequence=2

I did read Lorenz´s manuscript/book "Iskuja ilmaan" (Strikes to the air) - it is a very interesting account and has also something to bite for the "what if" -historians. However I could not avoid an impression that it was written by a very embittered and emotional man. Probably he had good reason to be that but still I would not take his account as fully objective and only truth of the matters.

Some of the well-established "truths" by the "Utti men" - Lorenz, Magnusson and Karhunen - have been later shown erroneus:
- for example Heinkel 112 would not have been a better choice as Fokker D XXI for the Winter War - the real performance of the plane was much less than estimated by Magnusson - this is convincingly shown in Jukka Raunio´s article in Ilmailuhistoriallinen lehti 1/2001 - "Heinkel 112 - lammas suden vaatteissa" - it was indeed " a lamb in wolve´s clothes". The same goes for the Seversky P-35 which Lorenz thought to be modern high-performing fighter which it was not - Severky P-35 would not have been a same calibre fighter as Brewster, Curtiss P-36 or even Morane. When it comes to Curtiss CW 21 fighters, it seems that there was not a real chance to get them manufactured and delivered well in time to be ready for the Winter War. There were also serious technical "teething problems" with Curtiss CW 21 and the plane would have needed thorough modification before it could have been operational in FAF service - this makes it very likely that Curtiss CW 21 would not have been the air superiority fighter of Winter War as Lorenz believed. Lets also remember that the choice for standard fighter of Finnish Air Force had to be made in 1936 - not in 1938/1939. IIRC, Lorenz was not negative on Fokker D XXI at that time and considered it to be a good enough. It is also a myth that the plane was not test-flown by any Finnish pilot before the buying decision was made - IIRC, Magnusson or Lorenz himself test-flew the plane in 1936 and wrote a positive report on it. Later this detail was conveniently forgotten in the "Utti version" of history.

When it comes to Spitfires and Hurricanes, there was not any realistic chance to have those planes for Finnish Air Force before the Winter War - the RAF needed all the Spitfires and Hurricanes that Brisith aviation industry could manufacture and the British were very reluctant to sell those planes to other air forces - for example Poles had great difficulties to get Hurricane order to be accepted by British decision makers during the summer of 1939 although they were allies of Britain. The Hawk 75 / P-36 was perhaps the only somewhat realistic chance to have a better fighter than Fokker D XXI for the FAF but as far as I know it was not seriously considered and it would have been difficult to get Hawk fighters in time after the French placed their big orders on Curtiss factory and the production lines of Curtiss were occupied to demand those orders.

Although Iskanius biography of FAF commander Lundqvist is hardly a objective either I think that there has been a need for "defence speech" for him in the FAF literature - a long awaited "anti-thesis" of the well established "thesis" of the "Utti group" . I would recommend to read both the Lorenz manuscript (which now is available as published book) and then take Iskaniu´s "defence speech" for Lundqvist and then it is up to every reader to make his or her own "synthesis".

While it is true and admitted by all historians that the decision to put money on Blenheim bombers in 1936 instead of buying more fighters (even more Fokker D XXI) was a blunder based on mistaken airwar concept, one should give small credit for Lundqvist that he went for the Blenheim option. It was clearly better option than to buy Junkers 86 which would have been Mannerheim´s choice.

Return to “Winter War & Continuation War”