What civilian cars were pressed into military service?

Discussions on the Winter War and Continuation War, the wars between Finland and the USSR.
Hosted by Juha Tompuri
Milgeek

What civilian cars were pressed into military service?

Post by Milgeek » 08 Apr 2014, 10:54

Hello, I have noticed quite a few threads which - in passing - show civilian cars which were pressed into service by the Finnish army.

I have seen a lot of civilian American makes - Packards and Chevrolets - and I *think* I have maybe seen a few German civilian models too - like Opels. Was this something that went on throughout the war and were German models - like the Kadett, Super 6 and Kapitan - quite rare (or was it mostly American models)?

Many thanks,

Steve

JTV

Re: What civilian cars were pressed into military service?

Post by JTV » 08 Apr 2014, 12:57

Milgeek wrote:Hello, I have noticed quite a few threads which - in passing - show civilian cars which were pressed into service by the Finnish army.

I have seen a lot of civilian American makes - Packards and Chevrolets - and I *think* I have maybe seen a few German civilian models too - like Opels. Was this something that went on throughout the war and were German models - like the Kadett, Super 6 and Kapitan - quite rare (or was it mostly American models)?
When it comes to civilian owned motor vehicles in Finland in 1930's American trucks, cars and motorcycles were considerably more popular than the German ones. Hence the number of American-manufactured civilian-owned cars far exceeded the number of German-manufactured cars in civilian ownership. However this was not the only reason, why US-manufactured passanger cars formed a large majority among the passanger cars which Finnish military pressed into military service. Finnish military also made a conscious choice to favour new (*) large US-made passanger cars, since they were considered best-suited (**) for this sort of use. Unlike what happened with motorcycles and in some degree with trucks, the number of new cars acquired for military use during the war was quite insignificant compared to number of civilian cars pressed into military service.

(*) New = read: car models manufactured in mid-late 1930's.
(**) Presumably roomy and durable with decent engine if compared to other available civilian cars.

Most common civilian passanger cars pressed to military service by 1st of December 1941:
- Ford 1990
- Chevrolet 1110
- Opel 389
- Dodge 220
- Plymouth 191
- Chrysler 170
- Studebaker 150
- Buick 124
- etc...
(Source: Page of 91 of Puolustusvoimien Moottoriajoneuvot 1919 - 1959 by Markku Mäkipirtti).

Jarkko

Return to “Winter War & Continuation War”