Fighting at Tihveri 29/6 -44

Discussions on the Winter War and Continuation War, the wars between Finland and the USSR.
Hosted by Juha Tompuri
subskipper

Re: Fighting at Tihveri 29/6 -44

Post by subskipper » 21 Jan 2017, 19:10

Lotvonen wrote:III Btn JR 4 WD, new instalments

Translator's question:
Does it make sense to continue further?
Many thanks Lotvonen! No, I think that is enough from this one. Some very, very interesting stuff has come to light. As I said, please let me know if there's any way I can compensate you for your efforts. A particular book or something you would like?

Regards

Lotvonen

Post by Lotvonen » 22 Jan 2017, 09:01

Not so fast, gentlemen:
I had a look at the other link provided and found the following:

JR4, HQ WD .
Date 19.6.44
21.00hrs Commander's briefing 21.00hrs. Present Mar. Holopainen, RsPsto2 (Heavy Artillery Btn.) cdr. Maj. Österman, KevPsto10 (Light Arty Btn) Cdr Maj. Alen, II/JR44 cdr. Maj. Lehtonen, Maj. Kivinen, Capts Hannila, Wuorenheimo, Laakso, Paarma, Seilamo, Luoto, Tuominen, Lts Olsson, Lindman, Pråhl, 2nd Lt. Pynnönen.
Regimental order, map 1:20000
1. Enemy has concentrated troops againt VI AC and a major attack is anticipated.
2. JR4 – IIBtn with subjected I/JR44 less one Coy. Constitutes the AC reserve on the line Enemajoki-Karjalankylä.
3. Regiment is grouping in defence on the line Enemajoki-Karjalankylä. Incomplete F.F. And road work must be carried on in a forced pace. At the same time the Rgt must prepare for counterattacks, with all forces or parts of them, in directions Segesa, Lotinanpelto and Power plant. (=Segezha, Lodeinskoye Polye, Hydor power plant)
4. IIIBtn reinforced with 1 coy and MG platoon from I/JR44 on Enemajoki sector, focal point Siltoinkylä and Pyhälampi terrain.
Ibtn.on Karjalankylä sector focal point Hill58 and the open ground at Karjalankylä incl. The limit pt. 27,3at Jängerjoki, pt. 23,5 S, pt. 32,5 brook source, from prt. 58 abt 700m S pt. 41
I/JR44 les 2 coys.and 1 ½ MG platoons as reserve at Jängerjoki in the terrain of poits 28,7-30,4-27,3. The reserve shall be prepared to move mainly in the directions of Siltoinkylä, Karjalankylä and the terrain E of Pyhälampi. Allo prepared to block the main road at the blocking points N of Siltoinkylä.
From the Gun Coy. Short 75mm guns and 1 45mm AT gun to Enemajoki sector
“19.6.44_22.00hrs”
and 3 45mm AT guns to Karjalankylä sector. Close range AT platoon in the terrain N of Jängerjärvi to be ready in action both on Enemajoki and Karjalankylä sectors. In addition the Btns shall organise close range AT with their own equipment. Readiness to repel enemy tank attacks in depth.
4. Of the Mortar Coy. One platoon on each front line Btn. Section. Plan to place F.O.O.teams and to use fire must be drawn up in co-operation with the Artillery Group commander.
5. For defence JR4 support group is KevPsto10 in the direction of Karjalankylä road S of Sammatusjoki. RaskPsto2 positions in the direction of the main road in the terrain S of the sand pits . Arty group commander Kev.Psto10 cdr Maj. Alen.

(Same in the same vein goes on for another two pages. Anyone interested?
I am continuing a little to see how the battle plan survived actual enemy contact.)

13.00hrs Cdr inspecting road works Sammatus-Karjalankylä.
14.00hrs Capt Seilamo phoned Col.Lt.(?) Viisterä, Viisterä told that he is now 8km N from Shemenski village, has been in battle contact with Enemy. Our mortar scored two good bullseyes on enemy trooops at his old command post. Our losses 1 KIA, 2 WIA.
12.00hrs III/JR4 command post shifted in the actual spot ordered in the battle grouping.
18.00hrs Capt. Paarma set out to reconnoitre eventual counterattack directions on the area of 5.D . All day very lively air activities on both sides. Russki bombing targets Mäkriä and Lampero.
Lt. Hiidenheimo transferred from 8D. HQ to I/JR4.
08.00hrs Msg from IV AC HQ:
Russki launched main attack last night. Managed to get across with two Coys at “Rutsi”, yet repelled in the morning to their own riverside. Real action started at the mouth of “Ludankajoki” where Russki managed to cross the river supported by about 150 aircraft, building there a floating bridge under the cover of their fire. Lt. Vaismaa, Lt. Ohlsson

10.30hrs Report from Maj. Kivinen.
Road shot broken S of Uutujärvi in the terrain of “Karhunpesä” so I Btn supply traffic must be directed via Karjalankylä.
11.27hrs Order from VI AC HQ:
Btn. Lehtonen(I/JR44) to be disengaged for the dispoosal of 5D. Btn. “Leppäkoski” of 15.Pr. Subjected to JR4. Leaving Kuuttilahti on bikes. Cpl. Nordgren/ Col. Simelius.
Phone connections being cut off IIBtn sent a runner to transmit the order. This order was also transmitted to ColLt. Korvi in 5.d. HQ that also sent a runner to I/JR44.
12.30 hrs II/JR4 moves to their own Regiment by marching.
Col. Nordgren/Col. Simelius.
12.40hrs Order from VI AC HQ:
From Btn “Leppäkoski2 one Coy must be transferred to IIIBtn. Rest to move behind Sammatus line.
“Leppäkoski” lodging area 3,5km W of Sammatuskylä N of road at the brook.

14.35hrs Order from VI AC HQ:
Positions in the directions of the roads must be manned.
14.55hrs To our Commander reported 2nd Lt. Kortekallio of Pion.P.21 (Engineer Btn) with a map of objects to be demolished and mined. The objects were marked on the Regimental map. The Engineer Off. Was ordered to send a transparent drawing of the objects to the Btns and separate units.
21.6.44_15.00hrs Order by radio telephone to IIIBtn:
Name a liaison officer from IIIBtn to 5.D HQ to provide situational reports to Rgt HQ over IIIBtn. (?)
Get ready at the direction of the road.
Col. Simelius/Capt. Raunila.
15.20hrs Message from VI AC HQ:
Btn “Viisterä” to be transported by lorries to Lampero, Sammatus road crossing, to be guided on from there by JR4.
Col. Nordgren/Capt. Paunio
15.45hrs Lt Vaulo ordered to take care of guiding Brn Viisterä to III/JR4¤ command post and III/JR4 received written order (sent by runner) to guide the troops on.
15.55hrs Order from VI AC HQ:
5.D starts retreat. Enemajoki-Karjalankylä line must be immediately manned
The said order was transmitted by phone to Maj. Holopainen.
16.20hrs Maj Leppäkoski reported to Col,. Simelius. Maj. Leppäkoski was accompanied by a part of the HQ and MG and mortar equipment.
16.23hrs Order to RsPsto2: F.O.O.s at once to observation posts.
Col Simelius/Lt. Hämäläinen.
16.00hrs Maj Holopainen reported to Col Simelius: Road direction manned.
16.15hrs Hard aerial bombardment on Uutujärvi-Mäkriä road. All day very lively aerial activities. Our AA is firing a lot.
16.25hrs Capt Salmi phoned from “Kuujärvi 16” and was ordered by Capt Paarma that one Coy and one MG platoon must be transported with the first lorries that Lt. Vaulo shall guide on to III/JR4 command post.
17.05hrs Order to Capt. Luoto and Lt. Toikka:
All deserters to be arrested at both roads. Everyone from JR44, Battle group 23 and Engineer Btn23 must be arrested at Sammatus line.
21.6.44_17.35hrs Report from IIIBtn:
Russki bombers are raiding IIIBtn section and made a couple of hits. Bridge still usable.
Capt.Hannila/Col.Simelius
17.38hrs Report to VI AC HQ: The above mentioned wherefor Engineers were promised to get reserve material to eventually repair the bridge.
17.40hrs Losses so far: I Btn 3 KIA (2.Coy) and WIA 4(2.Coy)+1(1.Coy).
18.20hrs Message from VI AC HQ:
Lorries set out 17.15hrs from Lampero to Kuujärvi for Btn Viisterä.
18.35hrs Order from VI AC HQ:
One Coy of Btn Viisterä that has arrived to be transferred as reserve for I/JR4
19.00hrs Btn Leppäkoski arrived and lodged guided by Aspirant Siro.
20.10hrs Order from VI AC HQ:
Btn. Viisterä, all of it, to move to Sammatus line at the main road..
20.35hrs Report to VIAC HQ: Battle parts of Btn Leppäkoski at destination and lodged. General situation: Russki has one D. in front line, tanks neither heard nor seen.
Capt.Lyytikäinen/Lt Ohlson
20.43hrs III Btn liaison officer 2nd Lt. Lankinen from 5.D HQ reported: First line troops start retreat while fighing as soon as the wings have reahed the same level with others.
JR44 in main road direction
JR2 on Kontuinen direction
Btn Simo on Harjutie direction.
Estimate: a total of 4 divisions of Russkies, tanks have not shown up.
Russkies likely to have found out our cover numbers and commander cover names. Received orders must be verified.
21.6.44_21.05hrs Message from VI AC HQ:
16.TykK II platoon moves to the main road 2km N of enemajoki. This platoon + I /16.TykK. subjected to JR 4. III/16. Tyk.K. To set up positons on Sammatus line at main road.
21.30hrs Capt Hannila reported that 5.D HQ started pulling back.
22.00hrs Lt Vainionmäki reported returning from the task of liaison officer in 5.D HQ.
22.10hrs Commander ordered Maj. Kivinen to move the supply coy to the terrain N of Sammatus.
22.12hrs Report from IIIBtn: shot down enemy airman taken prisoner by 10.Coy
22.18hrs Reported to VI AC HQ:
Abovementioned, AC HQ informed that the said one will be picked up for interrogation.
Capt. Paarma/MAj. Rantasaari.
22.45hrs I/15.Pr adjudant Lt Veijalainen reported and received orders for the Btn. Counterstrike directions on I and III/JR4 sections to be reconnoitred during the night and preparartion for counterstrikes in general. To transport I/15.Pr mortars and Mgs a lorry in readinesss at JR4 HQ.
23.00hrs Lt. Vanto reported: 6./JR4, main parts of 5./jr4, and 1/2of 8./JR4 have arrived at Sammatus terrain.
23.05hrs Message to Ibtn: I/16.Tyk.K subjected to JR4. 5.D.troops started withdrawing.
Capt. Paarma/Lt. Lindholm

(End of 21.6.44 diary. A bit long but with some interesting points.)

subskipper

Post by subskipper » 22 Jan 2017, 11:07

(Same in the same vein goes on for another two pages. Anyone interested?
I am continuing a little to see how the battle plan survived actual enemy contact.)
Yes! :D I was thinking much the same as you. I've got the maps ready and all. :)

subskipper

Post by subskipper » 22 Jan 2017, 12:01

(End of 21.6.44 diary. A bit long but with some interesting points.)
Indeed! I must make note of the different battalion commanders though. I sometimes forget which battalion they refer to when using the names if the Btn CO.
Everyone from JR44, Battle group 23 and Engineer Btn23 must be arrested at Sammatus line.
Wow. In general, I'm very impressed by the Finnish soldiers ability to regain their shape in even the most extreme of conditions. I distinctly remember my grandfather telling me of a retreat that in all respects seemed unorganised and he lost his weapon. I think that was when his company pulled back towards "the Uomaa school house" which is mentioned in a section you translated earlier. Obviously just speculation, but at least it fits.

John Hilly

Post by John Hilly » 22 Jan 2017, 14:55

This book has a very good and detailed information of these battles:

Tekijä: Lopmeri, Olavi
Julkaisuvuosi: 1991
Punamustarykmentti : jatkosodan jalkaväkirykmentti 4. 3, Toiminta Aunuksen Kannaksella ja Laatokan Karjalassa : välirauha ja kotiuttaminen
ISBN: 952-90-3318-4 sidottu

With best, J-P :milwink:
"Die Blechtrommel trommelt noch!"

subskipper

Post by subskipper » 22 Jan 2017, 17:22

John Hilly wrote:This book has a very good and detailed information of these battles:

Tekijä: Lopmeri, Olavi
Julkaisuvuosi: 1991
Punamustarykmentti : jatkosodan jalkaväkirykmentti 4. 3, Toiminta Aunuksen Kannaksella ja Laatokan Karjalassa : välirauha ja kotiuttaminen
ISBN: 952-90-3318-4 sidottu

With best, J-P :milwink:
Ahh, yes indeed. I have it by my side as I type this. So close yet so far away since I can't read Finnish. In sheer desperation I started a WordDive course a week or so ago. According to the software, I've learnt 25 Finnish words permanently. Don't ask me which, because I can't remember. I do know that "Koira haluaa syödä" which is kind of cool, but not really helpful. I don't own a dog, an I doubt Lopmeri goes into such detail for that phrase to be helpful in any way. Truly frustrating having this seemingly very interesting chronology of the unit available and not being able to use it. I will try to expand my vocabulary, and one day I might be able to at least read decently. :)

Lotvonen

Post by Lotvonen » 23 Jan 2017, 07:55

H.E., let me first finish this business before anything.
JR4, HQ WD continued.
Another eventful long day !
Date 22.6.44
00.40hrs Capt Raunila reported: Russki airman prisoner died before the interrogator arrived from 5.D.
00.42hrs Reported: Capt. Salmi, 5/JR4 cdr, Lt. Korttila, II/JR4 Adjutant. - Col.Lt.Viisterä's arrival not known yet.
01.35hrs Msg from 5.D. HQ: According to gained information, on 22.6. Russki main bombing targets will be Kinkijava (?), Sammatus and Enemajoki line
Maj.Elo/Lt. Olsson
Due to this message the Regimental HQ command office and other unnecessary personnel moved before dawn from Sammatus hill to the terrain N of the village. The abovementioned message was relalyed also to I and III Btns and Supply Commander.
02.20hrs Lt. Paroi (?) reported by phoneform “Kuittinen 14” that the transport columns of II/JR4 are in the terrain of Uusihiekka and 7./JR4 is in Kuujärvi terrain waiting for lorry transport.
08.00hrs Night has been calm both in the front line and rear. No air activities in the night. Sounds of battle from Kuuttilahti all morning.
09.20hrs 2nd Lt. Niinineva(?)+ Sgt.Ruotsalainen+18 men have left 2./JR4 apparently due to the horror stories of retreating troops.
Masj. Holopainen/Capt. Paarma
09.00hrs A motorbike messenger was sent to Col.Lt.Viisterä to enquire how many troops there are here, two runners must report here. Contact Col. Simelius immediately.
10.10hrs Msg from Col. Simelius to Maj. Kylmäloski: I/15.Pr. Subjected to 5.D.
10.20hrs Order to II/JR4 adjutant:II/JR4 subjected to 5.D.
10.35hrs msg from 5D HQ: JR44 stays in defence on Sammatus line and II/JR4 is likely to be subjected to them.
Gen. Tapola/Col. Simelius
10.40hrs Msg from VI AC HQ: According Lt. Paroi's phone report the units of II/JR4 that had been delaying at Shemenski secror have left for Sammatus on lorries.
Capt. Paarma/Col.Nordgren
11.25hrs Msg from Maj. Holopainen to Capt. Paarma: 2nd Lt.Niinineva + some of the men have returned .
11.30hrs 2 observation balloons spotted by I Bnt bearing 29,00 at the stream (Svir? tr.rem.). Relayed to 5D. HQ
Capt.Paarma/Col.Lt.Hovi
12.25hrs Msg from Lt. Korttila II Btn: Units that had been delaying in Shemenski have arrived at Sammatus line at 11.00hrs
12.35hrs Msg from VI AC HQ:
Present delay line is situated about: crossroads N of Svir monastery – Kinkijeva village S. Tanks spotted in the direction of main road. Russki did not attack today, probably preparing for a new push. Our lines in Kuuttilahti are on the Kuuttilahti-Ladoga line
12.50hrs Msg to Rannila: Tanks in direction Karhunpesä.
13.00hrs Order to JR2: :Leave 2 Mgs with crews to Maj. Holopainen's disposal as JR2 withdraws behind Karjalankylä line.
Capt. Paarma/Lt. Heikinheimo
13.03hrs Msg to Maj. Holopainen about the abovementioned. Col.Simelius/Maj. Holopainen.
13.38hrs 7 tanks from Kontuinen heading for Karjalankylä.
13.48hrs Sammatus line must be manned without delay, limit to Viisterä (map 1:100 000)Riipinä “p” - Kohtintsanjärvi “o”.
Col. Simelius/”Tiirikka 4”
13.50hrs Same in writing to Viisterä.
14.50hrs msg from IIIBtn: Battle foreposts have withdrawn at 1400hrs from Karhunpesä terrain.
15.30hrs Transparent drawing of JR4 grouping on 22.6.44 sent to 5D. HQ
15.35hrs Lt. Korkeavuori, 2nd Lt Liuksiala, 2nd Lt Lopmeri (?) reported to C.O. From MaaSK to JR4.
16.05hrs Msg from Maj Holopainen to Col. Simelius: one tank destroyed
16.45hrs Msg from Maj Holopainen to Col. Simelius: 800m gap between I and III Btns Col. Simeius immediately ordered Capt. Hannila to block the gap with Jaeger Platoon/III/JR4 (!)
16.50hrs Msg from 5D. HQ: One lorry (!) available to transport Viisterä's unit.
Maj. Elo/Lt. Olsson
17.00hrs Msg from Maj. Holopainen:
16.05hrs two tanks, probably type T-34, appeared, of which one was shot with a 75mm AT gun at a range of 1,5 km (!) The men jumped out of the tank. The second tank turned E.
Pt 90.5 terrain: dense movement. Our artillery fired 60 shells that covered the spot nicely.
17.15hrs Abovementioned msgs transmitted to 5D.HQ
Lt. Olsson/Maj.Elo
Saarimäki village has been burning all PM.
Russki has flown during the day several harassment and bombing missions in the rear of areas of battle. Bombing targets included Mäkriä, Lampero, Kuittinen, Kinkijeva and Mäkriä-Uutujärvi main road.
17.50hrs Happy incident in Rgt. Command post. A cat evacuated from the village gave birth to as many as 5 beautiful kittens in Arty group Cdr Maj. Alm's bed. (!!)
18.30hrs Radio msg fron IIIBtn:
At the moment lines abaout 500m N of Uutujärvi where Btn. Lehtonen I/JR44. Line direction W to E. Our patrol from 10.Coy out.
Russki aviator map 1: 500 000 found in 10.Coy area.
18.50hrs Abovementioned reported (?...?) to 5D.HQ
Lt. Olsson/Maj.Elo
Maj.Elo ordered that it should be attepted to take prisoners.
19.45hrs Phone message (?...?) to I Btn: “It should be attepted to take prisoners.”
Capt. Paarma/Lt. Heikinheimo
20.12hrs While phone connections were constantly broken to “Kääpiö” the order to take prisoners was radioed to IIIBtn. Cdr.
20.35hrs Maj Holopainen reported: 3 tanks broke through in the direction of road.
20.37Hrs Col Simelius ordered Capt. Laaksonen: close range AT platoon at once to I Btn to destroy the tanks.
20.38hrs Abovementioned matter relayed to “Lukko2”that granted permission to use the reserve plartoon of 16.Tyk.K.
20.39hrs Capt. Farin was ordered to proceed at once with his reserve platoon to destroy the tanks that had broken through.
20.40hrs Inf. Broken in positions at Karjalankylä. Our artillery strafing the break-in point and inf. Preparing for counterstrike. (Info over radio via arty commander as inf. Communications out).
21.00hrs AA stationed N of village shot down one Russki ground attack plane that was destroyed with crew. The plane fell S of the village.
21.15hrs Msg via Arty Cdr: one tank has driven back to Russki side from Karjalankylä.
21.30hrs Col. Simelius' order to IIIBtn:
IIIBtn reserve to Jangerjoki to block the road from I Btn to Sammatus. Aslo half of 14./JR4 close range AT plaltoon to aid at Karjalankylä.
22.36hrs III Btn reserve must continue from Jangerjoki to aid Holopainen in counterstrike.
Col. Siomelius/Capt. Hannila.
22.50hrs Msg from I Btn: abt. 1 coy of Russkies in Karjalankylä. Holopainen collecting reserves. The JR2 Coy ordered to be the reserve of I/JR4 has still not reported to Holopainen.
Maj. Holopainen / Capt. Paarma.
23.05hrs Lt Lindholm CO of 4. Coy reported that the JR2 Coy. arrived.
23.35hrs Phone conversation Simelius/Holopainen (Arty phone).
Lines must be retaken with counterattack. Broken through tanks: 4, one (KV) ran over I Btn phone exchange, some of the exchange crew were killed others wounded. Radio and exchange (broken overstruck) destroyed.
23.40hrs Msg from III Btn: Btn section calm.

(end of 22.06.44)

(?...?) text in original “auran tarinalla” which does not make sense?

John Hilly

Post by John Hilly » 23 Jan 2017, 15:46

Lotvonen wrote:(?...?) text in original “auran tarinalla” which does not make sense?
Code language, I presume, meaning “It should be attempted to take prisoners” or "take prisoners".

subskipper

Post by subskipper » 23 Jan 2017, 18:16

Very interesting! Thanks Lotvonen!

John,

Why would they codify such a thing in the diary? And google translate "auran tarinalla" gives me "plow story" back which, I agree, make no sense at all! :)

Lotvonen

Post by Lotvonen » 24 Jan 2017, 07:59

JR4, HQ WD continued.
Maybe the longest day!
Date 23.6.44 AM

00.06hrs Capt Raunila reported: 2 ptns of 10./JR4 have been guided to Holopainen for counterstrike. In the appendix AC HQ order no 2018/Op.III/2 sal./22.6.44 Appx.no.13
00.30hrs Col. Saure, CO of JR2, arrived to Col. Simelius. Maj. Väänänen received order from Col.Saure to man with his Btn the road on the N shore of Jängerjoki river in the direction of Sammatus – Karjalankylä. Maj. Väänänens Btn subjected to JR 4 as long as this task requires.
01.25hrs Order to I Btn: Start counterattack at 02.00hrts, artillery preparation starts 01.45 The positions must be retaken. Instruction: Should this not succeed, then secure the N perimeter of the village and limit the Russki advance. Strong reserve must be left at the left wing and flanks must be secured by patrols.
01.37hrs Report to 5D.HQ concerning the present situation and countermeasures to be taken.
Col. Simelius/Col.Lt. Seppälä.
02.30hrs Order form 5D HQ: Btn .Väänänen is not subjected to JR4. Its march to the front line must be interrupted at once. Ben Tapola/Col. Simelius.
02.30hrs Report to 5D.HQ: I Btn. “Auran tarina” probably in Russki hands as they destroyed the communications dugout of I Btn. Ohlsson/Elo
02.40hrs Capt Luoto set out with motorcycle to take a message to Maj. Väänänen
22.6.23.15hrs Lt. Olsson at Col. Simelius' orders set out to turn back the last marching infantry unit of JR2 and this was 6./JR2. The unit with Holopainen about 01.30hrs
3./KTR3 that was at Jängerjoki was ordered to secure the river beach at their battery.
02.50hrs Artillery reported (Kilpiä/Alm) that 3 tanks retreating from Hilippälä village.
03.00hrs Artillery reported that the remaining 2 tanks had left the village as well as some of the infantry by crawling. So far about 100 Russkies have left the village.
03.18hrs Report to 5D.HQ to Maj. Elo: At the same time artillery reports: Russkies about 60 (pcs) from S to Hilippänälä (sic!) - obviously men who escaped are being forced back.
03.26hrs Tanks turned back for Karjalankylä.
03.30hrs Report to 5D. HQ for Maj. Elo.
03.35hrs 2 tanks and about 60 Russkies at the S perimeter of Hilippälä village.
03.50hrs Verified report to Maj. Elo
04.02hrs Report from I Btn: Counterattack petered out and Maj. Holopainen shall man new position immediately N of the village perimeter.
Appendixes to War Diary:
no. 14/44 (...)
no. 15/44(...)
no. 16/44(...)
04.10hrs Order to I Btn: Coy/JR2 subjected to Holopainen must be returned to their unit as soon as the situation is all right.
05.05hrs Maj. Holopainen reports: one Coy.Cdr of JR2 has vanished and abandoned his Coy.
05.48hrs Maj. Holopainen reports to Col Simelus: It has been detected that more than ten tanks have flown in Karjalankylä, also at least 4 guns and infantry. Strong enemy patrols are moving N of the village against the left flank of I Btn.(*)
05.54hrs Msg to 5D.HQ: Abovementioned plus : I bth has not yet managed to regroup after their attack. Col. Simelius/Col.Lt. Seppälä.
06.00hrs (*) Col. Simelius suggested to Gen. Tapola that I Bts should withdraw delaying to Jängerjoki. Suggestion approved.
06.00hrs Order to III Btn: Report o I Btn withdrawan and order to conform the left wing according to I Btn.
06.55hrs Col. Simelius oriented Col Saure to the situation and informed of his own plan of action.
07.00hrs Order to III Btn: The Btn must have 3 squads assembled in reserce at pt 27. Rgt. CO defined their task: to liaison with I Btn and assisting it to create a new line.
07.30hrs Msg from I Btn: Btn.withdraws delaying and 2nd Coy is already on the support line. Russki bombarding Jängerjoki bridge from air, by artillery and with so called “hectar gun” (rockets)
At the same time report to I Btn: ( to be forwarded to Maj. Holopainen): III Btn. Has posted an outfit (abt. 1 Platoon) reinforced with AT close range squad at the seam of the Btns. Lt. Westerholm/Col, Simelius.
07.34hrs Msg to 5D.HQ: Situational report according to above mentioned.
Col. Simelius/Gen. Tapola
07.47hrs Report to III Btn: Report on situation and order on the action of the abovementioned outfit, specially in the direction of the road to the left.
Co. Simelius/Capt. Hannila.
07.55hrs report from I Btn: Holopainen delaying at road abt 2,5 km to Karjalankylä from the brook line. No contact with 3rd Coy (to the left). A JR2 Coy scattered in the forest patch on our right.
Lt. Salonen/Col. Simelius.
08.05hrs Col. Simelius reported the abovementioned situation to Gen Tapola.
08.20hrs 2nd Coy. At Jängerjoki. Strong enemy air activity. Lt. Westerholm / Col.Simelius
08.30hrs Strong air attack at Sammatus village area. Puustankina village in flames.
08.50hrs Msg from I Btn. Jängerjoki bridge blown up. Parts of 2./JR4 in defence at Jängerjoki. S of which about 1 ½ km 1./JR4 is delaying. 2 Platoons of 2./JR4 are making a detour E of the road .
09.30hrs III Btn reports: Bridges have been blown up. No battle foreposts anymore in front.
09.50hrs Reported the abovementioned to 5.D. HQ. Capt. Paarma/Lt. Hirsto
10.10hrs Msg from I Btn: No AT weapons at all. Close range AT Platoon vanished. Russki destroyed one AT gun of Lt. Pellinen's, one sunk in a bog and one disappeared. 16. Tyk.K gun deserted, withdrew without permission.
10.35hrs Msg from III Btn: Heavy shelling. Positions at road smashed up. Infantry, AT guns and 2 tanks seen and active.
10.45hrs Reported: 2nd Lt Rattari + platoon + 1 MG which were at once sent to support Holopainen at Jängerjoki.
11.20hrs Capt. Pentikäinen of JR2 14.Coy, the organizer of close range AT in Sammatus, reported to the CO.
11.30hrs Lt Julku withdrawn to Jängerjoki line 11.15hrs
Maj. Holopainen/Col. Simelius.
11.50hrs 2nd Lt Lopmeri + 60 men and 3 Mgs ( mostly Vihtonen's men – Vihtonen and one Platoon missing) arrived and were at once sent to report to Holopainen.

To be continued, PM to follow. 16)

subskipper

Post by subskipper » 24 Jan 2017, 12:46

It was indeed their longest day I would think! Utter confusion and mayhem according to my gramps and some people just disappeared in the barrages or air attacks.

ANd this one:
16. Tyk.K gun deserted, withdrew without permission.
One itches to know more about what they went through.

John Hilly

Post by John Hilly » 24 Jan 2017, 20:21

Henric Edwards wrote:Why would they codify such a thing in the diary? And google translate "auran tarinalla" gives me "plow story" back which, I agree, make no sense at all! :)
Telephone message "Auran tarinalla" meaning the code book of that name was used.
Lotvonen wrote:02.30hrs Report to 5D.HQ: I Btn. “Auran tarina” probably in Russki hands as they destroyed the communications dugout of I Btn. Ohlsson/Elo
Meaning that code book is compromised and not to be used any more.

Wiht best, J-P :milsmile:

subskipper

Post by subskipper » 24 Jan 2017, 20:35

John Hilly wrote:
Henric Edwards wrote:Why would they codify such a thing in the diary? And google translate "auran tarinalla" gives me "plow story" back which, I agree, make no sense at all! :)
Telephone message "Auran tarinalla" meaning the code book of that name was used.
Lotvonen wrote:02.30hrs Report to 5D.HQ: I Btn. “Auran tarina” probably in Russki hands as they destroyed the communications dugout of I Btn. Ohlsson/Elo
Meaning that code book is compromised and not to be used any more.

Wiht best, J-P :milsmile:
Ahhh, of course. Thanks!

Lotvonen, this is the Esikunta diary you're translating now, right? I'm organising my files and realised I hadn't named the document I started for the most recent diary.

Lotvonen

Post by Lotvonen » 25 Jan 2017, 08:08

JR4, HQ WD continued. =(Jalkaväkirykmentti 4. esikunta )
Maybe the longest day, now the rest of the day !
Date 23.6.44 PM

12.00hrs Radio contact with I Btn. Report of the abovementioned matter. Vihtonen is in Holopainen's command post with his platoon.
12.47hrs Simelius – Holopainen phone line again working.
13.50hrs Holopainen/Simelius: Abt a Coy of Russkies attacked at road direction 13.15hrs, abt. 40 Russkies fallen. Attack beaten back.
14.00hrs Report over radio from Capt. Rannila: Strong artillery fire and infantry fire. Abt. 80 russkies attacked at 1200hrs on the right wing, repelled.
A couple of tanks are coming every now and then at the road to fire, retreating again soon.
14.05hrs Capt. Wuorenheimo CO of 13./JR4 returned from the AKM (ammo supply) with shell replenishment. On his way back at Sammatus crossroad he was wounded in air raid slightly on his left leg.
14.25hrs Report from Col. Saure to Col. Simelius: Sammatus line on JR2 sector manned. JR2 mortars shall later support Holopainen's withdrawal.
14.27hrs Written message by Col.Lt. Airila: Lt. Eerola's close range AT platoon (1+12) is subjected to Hannila and setting out immediately ( 5 pcs Panzerschrecks included) 13.30hrs.
14.31hrs Judging by noise tanks are approaching Holopainen's lines at Jängerjoki.
14.40hrs Report (radioed) to Hannila on Pz.schrecks on the way and subjection to III/JR4.
14.40hrs Report (radioed) by Hannila: Russkies are moving about and making small attacks that have all been repelled. Trying to outflank from the right, counteraction being taken.
16.00hrs Russki sheling among others Sammatusmäki. Russki observation balloon, bearing Kinkijeva. Piippilä hamlet in Sammatus totally burned down. Fires in Kuittinen village also and in the directions of Mäkirjärvi and Pisi.
16.30hrs II Btn reporting: Col.Lt. Viisterä had to leave the Btn. Order to report immediately at VI AC HQ. Lt. Rautiala left with Viisterä.
Col.Lt. Airila took over the command of II Btn.
16.05hrs Report from III Btn.: (unclear), plenty of Russkies in Pyhälampi-Enemajoki terrain as far as pt. 27.8
Hannila/Simelius
16.07hrs Tank attak against Holopainen at Jängerjoki is repelled. .
16.25hrs Russki penetrated in the rear of Vihtonen's Coy.
Holopainen/Simelius
17.03hrs Report from III Btn: Situational report given 16.05hrs incorrect. Russki patrol had been moving in the terrain E of Pyhälampi.
17.15hrs Rep.from III Btn: According to Capt. Kettunen's report abt. A Coy. Of Russkies advancing against the righ wing of the Btn..
17.20hrs Report from I Btn: Three Russki attacks have been beaten back at Jängerjoki.
Report given at 16.25hrs on Russki breaking in behind Coy. Vihtonen proved to be false.
17.35hrs Reported to 5D.HQ about shelling at Sammatus that apparently is led by the balloon sighted in bearing Kinkijeva. Requested our airplanes to destroy the balloon. Could not promise anything as to the request.
Lt. Olsson/Maj. Elo.
17.40hrs Artillery report: Russki broken into positions and our troops withdrawn.
18.30hrs Maj. Holopainen requested heavier fire at “Jänger bridge” from Lt. Tynni who is now the acting CO of 13./JR4. 2nd Lt. Kokkila took over Lt. Tynnilä's platoon.
18.30hrs Capt Hannila reported by radio that Capt. Kettinen had disengaged and started withdrawing, and the pressure at the road direction is hard. Kettunen's withdrawal forced Col Simelius to agree with Capt. Hannila's suggestion to withdraw.
18.50hrs One tank destroyed at Jängerjoki line. Another withdrew.
07.00hrs Breakthrough at Holopainen's (tanks broken through) Holopainen was ordered to withdraw to Sammatusjoki line. Hannila was radioed order to pull back to the first “breakoff point” where he has to put up a tough resistance and remain in defence.
19.25hrs Cpl. Korolainen of 16. Tyk.K relaying message that I/16. Tyk.K is in positions at the “breakoff point” at the main road
18.40hrs Tel.Msg from 5D.HQ : no.4515/23.6.44 (using Auran tarina).
Attention must be paid to swampy areas. It has been found that the enemy makes use of them when advancing .
19.10hrs Order radioed to III Btn, Lukko 3D. Withdraw to the lowest “breakoff point” Secure to the right.
Co. Simelius/Capt. Hannila.
19.30hrs Written order to Btn CO:s: Must take prisoners and maintain contacts during withdrawal.
20.05hrs Heavy air raid at Sammatus village.
21.20hrs I Btn reports: Sammatus river line manned. Russki is pressing on with tanks and infantry.
Maj. Holopainen/Col.Simelius.
Connections to Lukko are cut off, so cannot inform.
Capt Paarma reported situation.
21.40hrs Capt Laakso reported (14.Coy) JR4 weapons losses: 3 pcs 45mm guns that were left behind in Karjalankylä on the night 22/23.06.
22.12hrs Paarma/Simo, Leppäkoski
Strong Russki attack continues. Tanks broken through.
Both Leppäkoski and Simo (JR2 Btn. CO.s) said they are ready .
23.01hrs I Btn reports: Another T34 destroyed. Russki pressure continues. Two tansk still firing at our positions.
23.50hrs Col.Simelius reported to Gen. Tapola: After retreating JR4 shall move behind the Sammatus line at the Lampero-Nurmoila road.

End of 23.6.44 PM

To be continued. 19)

subskipper

Post by subskipper » 25 Jan 2017, 10:01

Wow. Intense stuff. And quite easy to follow on the map as well. III./JR4 seems to struggle with information. Hannila suggests that his battalion should withdraw, and Simelius agrees. Yet in 9./JR4's diary, Hannila remarks that the company withdrew without orders despite the company being outflanked and having enemy presence in their rear. I find this all to be amazingly fascinating.

Return to “Winter War & Continuation War”