Info on 4th Brigade during Interim Peace

Discussions on the Winter War and Continuation War, the wars between Finland and the USSR.
Hosted by Juha Tompuri
jobla

Info on 4th Brigade during Interim Peace

Post by jobla » 06 Jul 2014, 12:29

I'd appreciate any information on the 4th Brigade (4. Pr) during the period of the Interim Peace (Välirauha).
My father was transferred to this Brigade (from the Winter War 1st Brigade) sometime in Jan-Feb 1941 - first to it's 2nd Company and then to its 2nd Machine Gun Company (2 KKK). In mid-March he was transferred to the 13th Brigade (later JR13).
Specifically:
- where was it located in Jan-March 1941;
- what was its composition;
- was it (or part of it) a Swedish-language unit;
- was the Brigade - or part of it - later incorporated into the 13th Brigade ?

Help much appreciated.

John Hilly

Re: Info on 4th Brigade during Interim Peace

Post by John Hilly » 06 Jul 2014, 17:39

"Samaan aikaan alkoi myös mittavan Salpalinjan rakentaminen, jolloin oli eduksi, että linnoitettavilla alueilla oli kenttävarustustöihin kykeneviä joukkoja varsinaisten linnoitusjoukkojen lisäksi. Tähän liittyen Haminan – Virolahden alueelle sijoitettiin alun perin uusimaalaisista koostunut 4. Prikaati elokuussa 1940."
4. Prikaati muuttui 20.6.1941 Jalkaväkirykmentti 4:ksi.

All I could find was that quote above. A rough translation:
At the same time also began the construction of large-scale Salpa -line, whilst it was favorable that in areas of the fortification there was capable forces of field work in addition to the actual fortification troops . In this context, the 4. Brigade, originally consisting of Uusimaa's conscripts was placed in the area of Hamina - Virolahti in August 1940. On 20.6. 1941 4. Bde was renamed as JR 4.

Those piece-time brigades consisted IIRC of three infantry battalions, which weren't full strenght.

http://www.geocaching.com/geocache/GC4X ... i-garrison

With best, J-P :milwink:
"Die Blechtrommel trommelt noch!"

John Hilly

Re: Info on 4th Brigade during Interim Peace

Post by John Hilly » 06 Jul 2014, 17:52

jobla wrote:- was it (or part of it) a Swedish-language unit;
- was the Brigade - or part of it - later incorporated into the 13th Brigade ?
- It was Finnish-language unit, though there were many Swedish speakers around Helsinki among them - they knew Finnish also.
- No, but your father might have asked transfer to the 13. Pr, because it was Swedish-language unit and served in Hangö -front, where local peole mostly speaked Swedish.

J-P :milwink:
"Die Blechtrommel trommelt noch!"

Return to “Winter War & Continuation War”