German equipment in Finnish use - repainted or not?

Discussions on the Winter War and Continuation War, the wars between Finland and the USSR.
Hosted by Juha Tompuri
Milgeek

German equipment in Finnish use - repainted or not?

Post by Milgeek » 11 Sep 2014, 12:50

There are obvious pieces of German arms that were bought by the Finns that were repainted on arrival - such as the Sturmi and other armour purchased. Likewise artillery pieces and trucks seem to have been given a quick coat of green...BUT...

There were all sorts of other items that I am completely unsure of and *may* have remained in their original German factory coats. Can forum member shed some light on items that may have gone into the field in Finnish use in German grey or even 'dunkengeld' please?

Items I am unsure about -

• Sd.Kfz. 9 "Famo" (a couple of these appear to have been purchased as break-down tractors)
• Steyr RSO/01 tracked prime mover
• 2 cm Flak 38

Any comments on the re-painting - or painting left as 'factory' - would be very gratefully received.

Steve

JariL

Re: German equipment in Finnish use - repainted or not?

Post by JariL » 11 Sep 2014, 15:09

• Sd.Kfz. 9 "Famo" (a couple of these appear to have been purchased as break-down tractors)

May have been in Finnish three tone camo. But it is also possible that they retained teh dunkel gelb base and only brown and green were added on top. Hard to say from B&W photos.

See http://sa-kuva.fi/ and type 151609 as search criteria

• Steyr RSO/01 tracked prime mover
Remained in dunkelgelb as did the Ford trucks and Maultiers. Camo may have been applied at some point. Not too many photos exist though.

See http://sa-kuva.fi/ and type 154338 as search criteria

• 2 cm Flak 38
Hard to tell from photos as these may have been Gray when they arrived. My guess would be that these were painted Green.

See http://sa-kuva.fi/ and type 95927 as search criteria
(this is model 30 though)
Last edited by JariL on 11 Sep 2014, 15:13, edited 1 time in total.

Milgeek

Post by Milgeek » 11 Sep 2014, 15:13

JariL wrote: • Steyr RSO/01 tracked prime mover
Remained in dunkelgelb as did the Ford trucks and Maultiers. Camo may have been applied at some point. Not too many photos exist though.)

Many thanks for this, it's very helpful...

One thing - you say 'Ford trucks and Maultiers'? I didn't know Finland received German Ford trucks and Maultiers! Is there any information about how many and what they were used for?

Again - thank you for your help.

Steve

JariL

Post by JariL » 11 Sep 2014, 15:18

I do not remember how many but they came with the Stug's. There were also some Büssing-Nag 4500 trucks, workshop version and a crane equipped version for example. There were also civilian Ford trucks.

JariL

Post by JariL » 11 Sep 2014, 15:27

One more photo from a parade in Enso 4.6.1944. Number 151602 shows a column of Ford trucks.

John Hilly

Post by John Hilly » 11 Sep 2014, 15:38

A German Ford in Finnish museum?
http://forum.axishistory.com/viewtopic. ... 8#p1515118

With best, J-P :milwink:
"Die Blechtrommel trommelt noch!"

Milgeek

Post by Milgeek » 11 Sep 2014, 16:11

Hi John..

I'm not an expert - and I am sure I will be corrected - but I believe that is an American production model Ford V3000...

You can tell by the split windscreen ( the German Ford Werkes V3000s were - I think - produced with a single piece windscreen).

Of course this *may* have been a Dutch V3000 (theirs was based on the original American design with the split windscreen) - captured by the Germans and then passed on to the Finns, but that is a wee bit unlikely. It's more likely that this was one of the original American Ford imports.

Steve

John Hilly

Post by John Hilly » 12 Sep 2014, 19:19

Thanks for your comment Steve.

I was thinking quite the same. That's why I put question mark to my sentence.

With best, J-P :welcome:
"Die Blechtrommel trommelt noch!"

Return to “Winter War & Continuation War”