"Kuusinen" as a noun

Discussions on the Winter War and Continuation War, the wars between Finland and the USSR.
Hosted by Juha Tompuri
STAVKA

"Kuusinen" as a noun

Post by STAVKA » 30 Sep 2014, 21:43

In the Icelandic press during the winter war, it was commonplace to call Icelandic communists "the kuusinens" as a mock-term, just like the term "quisling" came to mean "traitor" after the German invasion of Norway. This was part portraying local communists as traitors like Kuusinen in Finland in order to degrade them and also as a word of warning or alarm, since the experience in Terjioki was perceived as an example of what communists could do if the Red Army arrived on the island (yeah likely!).

What I am curious, is if you have heard about this kind of usage of the name Kuusinen in other countries like Sweden, Norway and Denmark. Obviously, Quisling overshadowed Kuusinen and took his place as the arch-traitor stereotype, but during the Winter War for example? How about in Finland, did Kuusinen become a noun like quisling over there?

durb

Re: "Kuusinen" as a noun

Post by durb » 01 Oct 2014, 15:36

I do not know - for me it has been always difficult to take seriously Kuusinen and Soviet composed puppet governement of Terijoki (ministers being Finnish communists living in exile in Soviet Union). I think that they were ridiculous and as such they were taken in Finland during the war.

The deadly serious thing was that Soviet Union recognized the Kuusinen governement as a legal governement of Finland and this was the same as to say there could no be peace talks between Moscow and "illegal" governement of Helsinki to end the Winter War. But as there was no decisive Soviet breakthrough in war and the Anglo-French involvement was looming, Soviets dumped the Kuusinen government and peace talks were started leading to armistice and "interim peace". After that Kuusinen government was pretty much forgotten by the Soviets.

I think that Kuusinen and his comrades caused more laugh than anger in Finland.

John Hilly

Post by John Hilly » 01 Oct 2014, 15:55

STAVKA wrote:kuusinens" as a mock-term
No, that didn't happen.
It was always "Kuusisen nukkehallitus" - Mock government of Kuusinen.
"Die Blechtrommel trommelt noch!"

Juha Tompuri
Forum Staff

Post by Juha Tompuri » 01 Oct 2014, 21:28

Hi STAVKA,

...and welcome to the Forum.
STAVKA wrote:In the Icelandic press during the winter war, it was commonplace to call Icelandic communists "the kuusinens" as a mock-term?
Is there any possibilities for you to post here an example, or link to one?
Would be most interesting.

Regards, Juha

JTV

Post by JTV » 02 Oct 2014, 06:09

John Hilly wrote:
STAVKA wrote:kuusinens" as a mock-term
No, that didn't happen.
It was always "Kuusisen nukkehallitus" - Mock government of Kuusinen.
Yes. The closest thing used in Finland that comes to mind was "ryömäläinen" (ryömäs), which was a apprently a rather common nickname / mock name used from communists in Finland mainly during Continuation War (1941 - 1944). In this case the term originated from name of Mauri Ryömä (1911 - 1958), member of parlament who established Finland - Soviet Union Society and was comdemned for treason in year 1940.

Besides - during Winter War most Finnish communists joined the battle against Soviet invaders, so why bother calling them mock names back then.

Jarkko

Return to “Winter War & Continuation War”