Why there was not a Soviet summer invasion in 1940?

Discussions on the Winter War and Continuation War, the wars between Finland and the USSR.
Hosted by Juha Tompuri
John T

Re: Why there was not a Soviet summer invasion in 1940?

Post by John T » 26 Apr 2015, 12:56

peeved wrote:
John T wrote:3. The Soviet demands when the "final" peace negotiations started.(Does June differs from September?)
There was quite a difference between the overt Soviet ambitions in June and September 1944 as best described by this excerpt from the opening of the Soviet peacy treaty draft in June (from http://seura.fi/historia/sotahistoria/e ... autuminen/ ) ”Suomen hallitus ja puolustusvoimain ylipäällystö tunnustavat Suomen asevoimien täydellisen häviön sodassa SNTL:ää vastaan ja ilmoittavat Suomen ehdottomasta antautumisesta pyytäen lopettamaan sotatoimet. SNTL:n Hallitus suostuu laatimaan ehdot, joilla se on valmis pysäyttämään sotatoimet Suomea vastaan…”. "The Finnish government and Defense Forces' High Command admit to the total defeat of Finnish armed forces in the war against the USSR and announce the unconditional surrender of Finland asking for cessation of military operations. The USSR government agrees to draw up the terms under which it is ready to stop military operations against Finland..."

Markus
From that I just infer that the marxist lenninist rethorics used in that internal soviet document (Draft) from June 1944 was harsher than what was proposed in March. It does not say anything explicit about the net result for Finland, and it does in no way support the claim that the soviets stepped back from the March proposal, quite contrary.
I don't see the paragraf you translates to answer What was the proposal to Finland from Soviet union in June 1944?.

My google translate gives this from a later part of the article:
The text is divided into six main sections, the first of which is "The war Conditions". The first step does not leave any room for doubt: "Thus, the Finnish land, sea and air forces, wherever located, surrender unconditionally."

Indeed text of the agreement also includes all the basic idea that it is an absolute surrender - and nothing else! Speculation about something else are unnecessary.
I see nothing what those six main sections actually meant, the article only focus on the writing of "unconditional surrender",
these six sections might very well be the same territorial claims as before, just wrapped up in a harsher language.

My point is that in March we only had a Soviet proposal, we can't know what the end result would have been, if had Finland agreed to continue negotiations. The article you refer to, indicated to me that the initial Soviet terms in June where phrased in a harsher language than in March.

I only know the end result and that was financialy less demanding and Hankko swapped with Porkala.

Added -
Trying to read google translate of the second last pragarph in the article of Martti Turtola:
Miksi tämä synkein vaihtoehto ei sitten toteutunut? Minun tulkintani on se, että ratkaisu tapahtui Tienhaarassa, Viipurinlahdella, Talissa, Ihantalan kirkolla, Äyräpäässä ja Ilomantsissa. Torjuntavoitot näillä alueilla ja todellinen voitto Ilomantsissa pakottivat Stalinin valitsemaan uudelleen poliittisen ratkaisun tien eli ottamaan kevään esityksen hieman lievennettynä uudelleen esiin.
Doesn't that means that the June proposal with "unconditional surrender of the Finnish armed forces" where the harshest while the March and the actual September signed treaty where more close to each other?
(as long we don't know what political and territorial demands where made in June)

Please advice.

/John T

peeved

Post by peeved » 26 Apr 2015, 14:58

John T wrote:
peeved wrote:
John T wrote:3. The Soviet demands when the "final" peace negotiations started.(Does June differs from September?)
There was quite a difference between the overt Soviet ambitions in June and September 1944 as best described by this excerpt from the opening of the Soviet peacy treaty draft in June (from http://seura.fi/historia/sotahistoria/e ... autuminen/ ) ”Suomen hallitus ja puolustusvoimain ylipäällystö tunnustavat Suomen asevoimien täydellisen häviön sodassa SNTL:ää vastaan ja ilmoittavat Suomen ehdottomasta antautumisesta pyytäen lopettamaan sotatoimet. SNTL:n Hallitus suostuu laatimaan ehdot, joilla se on valmis pysäyttämään sotatoimet Suomea vastaan…”. "The Finnish government and Defense Forces' High Command admit to the total defeat of Finnish armed forces in the war against the USSR and announce the unconditional surrender of Finland asking for cessation of military operations. The USSR government agrees to draw up the terms under which it is ready to stop military operations against Finland..."
From that I just infer that the marxist lenninist rethorics used in that internal soviet document (Draft) from June 1944 was harsher than what was proposed in March.
The document was from Kliment Voroshilov's commission on armistice terms for Germany and its Allies to the USSR ministry of foreign affairs. Originally from 13.10.1943 it was redated to 26.6.1944. C.f. http://www.google.fi/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=& ... RU6zsUqUoA
John T wrote:It does not say anything explicit about the net result for Finland, and it does in no way support the claim that the soviets stepped back from the March proposal, quite contrary.
One must remember that in late June the forces of evil seemed to be on the verge of absolute victory in Finland; Consequently the June draft reflects the Russian goals more closely than the March & September proposals which were made in a situation when the situation on the front was stable.
John T wrote:I don't see the paragraf you translates to answer What was the proposal to Finland from Soviet union in June 1944?.
Unconditional surrender. The pdf above gives some particulars how that would have made Finland into a free range for the Modern Genghis Khan's motorised hordes.

Markus

Juha Tompuri
Forum Staff

Post by Juha Tompuri » 26 Apr 2015, 20:20

Earlier about that draft document:
http://forum.axishistory.com/viewtopic. ... it#p560106

Regards, Juha

peeved

Post by peeved » 26 Apr 2015, 21:07

Thanks Juha,

For the link,
And Hanski,
For the translation within.

Markus

John T

Post by John T » 26 Apr 2015, 22:13

Juha Tompuri wrote:Earlier about that draft document:
http://forum.axishistory.com/viewtopic. ... it#p560106

Regards, Juha
Hanskis exelent post tells me the story:
http://forum.axishistory.com/viewtopic. ... 66#p563366

Thanks Juha for finding it.

Cheers
/John

Return to “Winter War & Continuation War”