Researching Finnish Winter War casualty - Urho Vienonen

Discussions on the Winter War and Continuation War, the wars between Finland and the USSR.
Hosted by Juha Tompuri
Juha Tompuri
Forum Staff

Re: Researching Finnish Winter War casualty - Urho Vienonen

Post by Juha Tompuri » 05 Nov 2015, 20:30

Seppo, thanks for sharing the photos.

Regards, Juha

TJames

Post by TJames » 27 Dec 2015, 21:32

Thanks Seppo for the pictures! I visited the the cemetery back in August and was able to see the graveyard and Urho's grave but unfortunately the weather was terrible so we didn't hang around long. Whilst there we asked the groundsman if he could let us into the church witch he kindly did, we had a little look around before heading to Loimaa for a few more family grave visits. Hopefully I will be going back to Finland in 2016 so I can book an appointment at the archives in Helsinki and unearth more information.

Thanks!

TJames
Attachments
IMG_3949.JPG
IMG_3951.JPG

firefox0085

Post by firefox0085 » 28 Dec 2015, 02:04

Thank you so much for the fine pictures...Which lead us to remember...here's a great documentary I'm sure you've heard of, or seen; "Fire and Ice, The Winter War." Very well done & comprehensive...

http://tinyurl.com/zxqg9gg (Youtube)

I'm a real fan of Simo Hayha...

"The Soviets' efforts to kill Häyhä included counter-snipers and artillery strikes, and on March 6, 1940, Häyhä was hit by an explosive bullet in his lower left jaw by a Russian soldier, blowing off his lower left cheek."

http://tinyurl.com/nnqjjy3 (Wiki.)

TJames

Post by TJames » 23 Jan 2016, 19:05

Thanks for the Links! I really enjoyed the documentary, really gave me another perspective of WW2 being that I am from the Allied side... have a lot of respect for the young Finnish men and women that defended there country.

Currently trying to look for a picture of Urho in newspapers, public documents ect; not knowing where to look really but hopefully i'll be lucky. Even though he isn't a blood relative of mine (Him being my Girlfriends G uncle) I have really gained an emotional attachment to him from seeing his home village and reading how he died to even his pre-war occupations.

Many thanks

TJames

Return to “Winter War & Continuation War”