Polish cannons and other arms in Winter War?

Discussions on the Winter War and Continuation War, the wars between Finland and the USSR.
Hosted by Juha Tompuri
durb

Polish cannons and other arms in Winter War?

Post by durb » 30 Jun 2015, 17:45

From the book Ryhmä Susi talvisodassa (Group Wolf in Winter War) by Paavo Susitaival (1973) I found a picture which according to accompanying text presents a captured Polish cannon which had earlier been taken as warbooty by the Soviets in East Poland in September 1939. According to Susitaival there was a heavy Soviet battery equipped with "brandnew" long-tubed Polish cannons at Suomussalmi on December 1939 but these cannons were captured by Finns before they became fully operational.

I wonder if there is any confirmation of this or any other (Soviet-captured) Polish military equipment which would have found its way to Winter War?

Juha Tompuri
Forum Staff

Re: Polish cannons and other arms in Winter War?

Post by Juha Tompuri » 30 Jun 2015, 20:10

The gun might be the Soviet 76mm F-22 Divisional Gun Mod.1936
Here also some other misidentifications:
Attachments
Ryhmä Susi Talvisodassa, 2.jpg
Ryhmä Susi Talvisodassa, 2.jpg (136 KiB) Viewed 1220 times
Suomi Taistelee I.jpg
From battles of Suomussalmi captured most modern Bofors field artillery pieces
Suomi Taistelee I.jpg (148.49 KiB) Viewed 1220 times
Suomi Tahtoi Elää I, 2.jpg
From Kenraalimotti (General(s) encirclement = East-Lemetti encirclement) captured AA-guns that also were used at direct fire AT-guns

Juha Tompuri
Forum Staff

Post by Juha Tompuri » 30 Jun 2015, 21:02

durb wrote:I wonder if there is any confirmation of this or any other (Soviet-captured) Polish military equipment which would have found its way to Winter War?
Some sources mention that the Kuusinen/Terijoki government so called people's army uniforms were made from captured Polish Army textile.

Regards, Juha

Karelia

Post by Karelia » 01 Jul 2015, 11:20

I've understood, that those uniforms were in fact the actual captured Polish uniforms, naturally with new insignia.

Juha Tompuri
Forum Staff

Post by Juha Tompuri » 01 Jul 2015, 21:54

People's Army uniforms were different from the Red Army ones. They consisted mostly of items that came from the captured Polish Army stocks, but the badges of rank and other insignia was the same as in the Red Army. Its other equipment, like weapons, was wholly of Soviet origin. People's Army units had also heavy weapons, like artillery and tanks.
http://forum.axishistory.com/viewtopic.php?f=59&t=85136

Regards, Juha

Juha Tompuri
Forum Staff

Post by Juha Tompuri » 01 Jul 2015, 22:50

From Novyi Chasovoi, No. 10, 2000, a Russian language military history journal published in St. Petersburg. The article was written by E. M. Gyunninen, a one-time member of the signal battalion of the 1st Corps of the "Finnish People's Army." This was formed by the Soviet army from conscripted ethnic Finns still living in the area around St. Petersburg (Ingermanland). According to Gyunninen, the formation was thoroughly Red Army except for the uniform:

"We were dressed in a strange military uniform of greenish-yellowish ("tobacco") color--greatcoat, "French" tunic with four pockets with flaps, golf breeches--all of good thick cloth; the greatcoat and tunic had shoulder straps, which was especially strange: in the USSR shoulder straps were associated with the enemy's style. On our feet--Russian cowhide boots, on our heads--ushanka fur hat. Now we know that our uniforms were Polish in origin, trophies of our forces in the Polish campaign [1939?]. This is how a certain artificial construction was made: USSR citizens, in Polish military uniforms... 'a soldier of the Finnish People's Army'!"
http://uotw.heavenforum.org/t934-finnis ... -army-1940

Regards, Juha

Return to “Winter War & Continuation War”