Joukkue and jääkärijoukkue?

Discussions on the Winter War and Continuation War, the wars between Finland and the USSR.
Hosted by Juha Tompuri
Lammio

Joukkue and jääkärijoukkue?

Post by Lammio » 26 Aug 2015, 06:47

In continuation war, what was the difference between joukkue and jääkärijoukkue?

What was the difference between jääkärijoukkue and esikuntakomppanian jääkärijoukue?

How many men were in each joukkue?

Art
Forum Staff

Re: Joukkue and jääkärijoukkue?

Post by Art » 26 Aug 2015, 09:48

joukkue - simply platoon of any kind
jääkärijoukkue - jaeger platoon
for details of organizations see:
http://www.jaegerplatoon.net/FORMATIONS6.htm
http://www.jaegerplatoon.net/FORMATIONS3.htm

Lammio

Post by Lammio » 28 Aug 2015, 06:25

Those pages show the organizations that different joukkue was part of. They say nothing about -- how should I describe it? -- the different "jobs" they did. I think there must be a difference, or they would not have different names.

JTV

Post by JTV » 28 Aug 2015, 06:43

Lammio wrote:
Those pages show the organizations that different joukkue was part of. They say nothing about -- how should I describe it? -- the different "jobs" they did. I think there must be a difference, or they would not have different names.
Well - I thought that the purposes of use are also mentioned in top section the page. Shortly:
- Rifle platoons of infantry regiments -> typical infantry. Usually moved on foot (or on skis when there was snow), support elements with heavy weapons had horse-transport. Used for anything that infantry can be used.
- Jaeger platoons of Jaeger Battalions -> bicycle/ski-infantry, during Continuation War those belonging to Armour Division were only troops trained to co-operate with armoured vehicles and became elite infantry. Typically moved either on skis or rode bicycles, while support elements had motor (truck) transport.
- Jaeger Platoons in HQ's of Infantry Battalions and Regimental HQ's of Infantry Regiments -> Men typically younger than what the men serving in infantry regiments were on average. Also may have had bicycles for transport. Used as reserves, for recon, raids, delay operations etc. Sometimes the four Jaeger Platoons of infantry regiment were gathered together to create jaeger company, which could be used for this sort of operations.

When it comes to tactics, cavalry and jaeger troops were considered to be light infantry, which in comparison had superior mobility if compared to normal infantry. Hence when it came to theories of operational warfare from time, due to its superior mobility light infantry was to be used as spearhead, rearguard and/or covering flanks.

Did this answer the question?

Jarkko

Lammio

Post by Lammio » 28 Aug 2015, 09:36

JTV wrote:Did this answer the question?

Jarkko
Indeed it did. And your answer was much clearer than the pages.
Thanks!

Return to “Winter War & Continuation War”