Question about Lotta's photo

Discussions on the Winter War and Continuation War, the wars between Finland and the USSR.
Hosted by Juha Tompuri
VARYAG-2

Question about Lotta's photo

Post by VARYAG-2 » 11 Oct 2016, 10:38

Hi everyone!
While searching in photo archive, I found interesting photos of Lotta’s: (SA-Kuva №№ a_115, a_116). I was wondered to see Lotta’s in army uniform. Actually, I thought that there was no Lotta units, wearing army uniform. In description mentioned, that the photo was taken in Lappeenranta 19.12.1939. What unit these girls may belong to? Or this is just an unordinary using of uniform by two girls?
Thank you for any information!
With respect, Roman.
Attachments
a_115.jpg
a_116.jpg

Teemu S

Re: Question about Lotta's photo

Post by Teemu S » 11 Oct 2016, 12:55

Hey Roman,

If I recall correctly, the caption refers to them as "Flying Lottas" ("Lentäviä Lottia"). The one on the right is General Wallenius' daughter. I'm afraid that's all I know about the photo.

-Teemu S

Juha Tompuri
Forum Staff

Re: Question about Lotta's photo

Post by Juha Tompuri » 11 Oct 2016, 17:02

Teemu S wrote:If I recall correctly, the caption refers to them as "Flying Lottas" ("Lentäviä Lottia"). The one on the right is General Wallenius' daughter.
Seems that the 18yrs "old" Leena Wallenius has Air Force badges at the shoulders of her jacket, and the collar patch colours might be of AF = blue with black outlines? So...perhaps she served as a Lotta at AF unit as a "Flying Lotta"?
I think it is very unofficial outfit.

Regards, Juha
Attachments
SA-photo a_116.jpg

Return to “Winter War & Continuation War”