ID unknown weapon(s)

Discussions on the Winter War and Continuation War, the wars between Finland and the USSR.
Hosted by Juha Tompuri
antwony

ID unknown weapon(s)

Post by antwony » 21 Oct 2016, 12:16

Am I allowed to post images on the forum? It's got the SA-Kuva watermark on it, so I'm not "stealing" it. If I've broken some forum rule, my apologies and I'll understand why the post will be deleted.

What on earth are the 2nd and fourth guy carrying? The guy second from right may have a Suomi SMG, but the fourth guy??? Sort of looks like an MP40 with a wooden stock which, obviously, isn't an existing weapon. It maybe has a rifle's bolt handle and isn't an SMG, but is very short even if it was somekind of carbine... But, well... just but. I have no idea.

Guy in the middle holding onto to the muzzle of his weapon has a Lahti LMG, right?

The photo was captioned 1941, which I found interesting as I thought the Winchester 1895, that the first guy is carrying, was issued to some artillery units in the Winter War, but wasn't used later.

P.S. Should probably specify the positions i'm using 2nd, 4th, middle, etc... are all for the guys in the front row. Not, the second column of soldiers in the back of the photo

EDITTED: Had written second from left, when I meant to write second right. I have corrected that. As a, sort of, justification from my stupidity I am kind of ambidextrous.
Last edited by antwony on 22 Oct 2016, 08:30, edited 2 times in total.

Juha Tompuri
Forum Staff

Re: ID unknown weapon(s)

Post by Juha Tompuri » 21 Oct 2016, 13:31

Hi,

No problems in posting the photos, just remember to post the sources of them (as you did).
At SA-photos, posting the photo number helps a lot.
I remember seeing the #47544 earlier, and wondered the Winchester too.
Yep, Suomi and Lahti-Saloranta guns. The 4th guy seems to have a Mosin based rifle, not familiar with all the subtypes.
He seems to hold his rifle with his thumb inside the trigger guard?

Regards, Juha
Attachments
SA-photo 47544.3.jpg
SA-photo 47544.3.jpg (174.23 KiB) Viewed 935 times

antwony

Post by antwony » 21 Oct 2016, 14:04

Juha Tompuri wrote:Hi,

No problems in posting the photos, just remember to post the sources of them (as you did).
At SA-photos, posting the photo number helps a lot.
I remember seeing the #47544 earlier, and wondered the Winchester too.
Yep, Suomi and Lahti-Saloranta guns. The 4th guy seems to have a Mosin based rifle, not familiar with all the subtypes.
He seems to hold his rifle with his thumb inside the trigger guard?

Regards, Juha
Thanks for the blow up. I was sure the weapon had some kind of SMG style ejection port. In your close up I can see I was getting confused with the rear sight (or something else) on the Mosin... So, not so interesting after all. Well, I guess the Winchester is still pretty interesting.

Guess it's a good reminder for me. Always discount the most obvious option before getting creative :-/

JTV

Post by JTV » 21 Oct 2016, 19:33

Juha Tompuri wrote:
The 4th guy seems to have a Mosin based rifle, not familiar with all the subtypes.
Considering handguard and rear sight designs that is probably Dragoon m/1891, although the rear sight cannot be seen in such detail that I would totally rule out the possibility that it might be rifle m/91-30.

Brass/steel part in rear section of handguard (visible right in front of rear sight) limits the options considerably and this obviously is not carbine m/38.

Jarkko

Return to “Winter War & Continuation War”