JR 4 Platoon listings and OOB

Discussions on the Winter War and Continuation War, the wars between Finland and the USSR.
Hosted by Juha Tompuri
subskipper

JR 4 Platoon listings and OOB

Post by subskipper » 25 Jan 2017, 11:23

Not sure if this is really something that was kept under record by the Finnish Army, but I'm trying to find listings of personnel for 9./JR4 from the summer of -44 and onward. Nothing that I have come across in the digitised war diaries and documents hints at any such listing existing, but I thought I'd throw the question out anyways. I'm specifically looking to find out which platoon my grandfather belonged to, but I'm interested to find out if this kind of detailed information was kept in general and if so, how to access it?

Mangrove

Re: JR 4 Platoon listings and OOB

Post by Mangrove » 25 Jan 2017, 20:15

Henric Edwards wrote:Not sure if this is really something that was kept under record by the Finnish Army, but I'm trying to find listings of personnel for 9./JR4 from the summer of -44 and onward.
According to a database kept by the National Archives of Finland, the archives contain at least three different listings ("Henkilötietovihko" or "Miehistöluettelovihko") made between 1941 and 1944 from the personnel of 9./JR 4. These listings usually contain the name of the person, his rank, birthday, the platoon and if he was transferred in or out of the unit.

Unfortunately most of the listings have not been digitized and one must either go to the National Archives of Finland in Helsinki in person, order the copies directly from the Archives (minimum of tens of euro even for one page) or order the copies via an individual visiting the Archives.

subskipper

Post by subskipper » 25 Jan 2017, 20:26

Mangrove wrote:
Henric Edwards wrote:Not sure if this is really something that was kept under record by the Finnish Army, but I'm trying to find listings of personnel for 9./JR4 from the summer of -44 and onward.
According to a database kept by the National Archives of Finland, the archives contain at least three different listings ("Henkilötietovihko" or "Miehistöluettelovihko") made between 1941 and 1944 from the personnel of 9./JR 4. These listings usually contain the name of the person, his rank, birthday, the platoon and if he was transferred in or out of the unit.

Unfortunately most of the listings have not been digitized and one must either go to the National Archives of Finland in Helsinki in person, order the copies directly from the Archives (minimum of tens of euro even for one page) or order the copies via an individual visiting the Archives.
Thank you kindly! I had no idea they even kept those records.

subskipper

Post by subskipper » 25 Jan 2017, 20:31

I tried searching for "Henkilötietovihko" and "Miehistöluettelovihko" but got no hits at all. I might be able to send my cousin to the archives if I find the right documents to order (I assume the above search engine shows some sort of index even if it the documents themselves aren't digitised). But I might be assuming wrong?

subskipper

Post by subskipper » 25 Jan 2017, 20:38

Oh, I think I found it! it was a listing. :)

subskipper

Post by subskipper » 25 Jan 2017, 21:20

The questions are raining here, but is this what I'm looking for?

http://kronos.narc.fi/aarretesti/aarre. ... nnus=15606

Mangrove

Post by Mangrove » 26 Jan 2017, 13:04

Henric Edwards wrote:I tried searching for "Henkilötietovihko" and "Miehistöluettelovihko" but got no hits at all.
All searches at http://kronos.narc.fi/aarre must be done according to the proper name of the military unit. However, some (but not all) of the records are also available at https://astia.narc.fi/astiaUi/ that allows searches with keywords.
Henric Edwards wrote:The questions are raining here, but is this what I'm looking for?
Possibly, but there is no way to be sure without browsing through the folder. In this case, T-9116/6 is the number of the folder.

subskipper

Post by subskipper » 26 Jan 2017, 13:41

Mangrove wrote:
Henric Edwards wrote:I tried searching for "Henkilötietovihko" and "Miehistöluettelovihko" but got no hits at all.
All searches at http://kronos.narc.fi/aarre must be done according to the proper name of the military unit. However, some (but not all) of the records are also available at https://astia.narc.fi/astiaUi/ that allows searches with keywords.
Henric Edwards wrote:The questions are raining here, but is this what I'm looking for?
Possibly, but there is no way to be sure without browsing through the folder. In this case, T-9116/6 is the number of the folder.
I e-mailed them asking for a quote on the folder in question. Many thanks for the help Mangrove!

Return to “Winter War & Continuation War”