The official AHF Winter & Continuation War quiz thread

Discussions on the Winter War and Continuation War, the wars between Finland and the USSR.
Hosted by Juha Tompuri
Panssari Salama

Re: The official AHF Winter & Continuation War quiz thread

Post by Panssari Salama » 20 Apr 2016, 20:21

double
Panssari Salama - Paying homage to Avalon Hill PanzerBlitz and Panzer Leader board games from those fab '70s.

John Hilly

Post by John Hilly » 21 Apr 2016, 15:15

Panssari Salama wrote:The unit in question is obviously the 34th Fighter Squadron, and the emblem to my knowledge was only used in (some?) of their MT (Bf-109) fighters. I am curious about any information regarding the emblem though :milsmile:
Panssari Salama wrote:"The new unit emblem (derived from an idea put forward by its Commanding Officer), comprising a fledgling eagle, was painted onto the rudder of this fighter [meaning: MT-423] and MT-451 in May 1944. These were the only known wartime applications of the badge."

So this would indicate the emblem was the idea of Eino "Eikka" Luukkanen. From where he got the idea, or why, I have not been able to find out.
When writing this question I had an incorrect memory that the emblem was taken in use after Luukanen's crash landing during the summer 1944, but as you said Luukkanen suggested it on 7th May 1944. Why? Nobody seems to remember...

The emblem was used also after the war. Here's MT-501 in 1955:
MT-501 afterwar.jpg
MT-501 afterwar.jpg (27 KiB) Viewed 3067 times
Your answer is well adequate, so it's your turn next!

Here's info and pics in Finnish about LLv 34.
http://personal.inet.fi/peli/LLv34/LLv34/2hist.htm

With best, J-P :milwink:
"Die Blechtrommel trommelt noch!"

Panssari Salama

Post by Panssari Salama » 22 Apr 2016, 16:58

Forgot to add the sources to my MT airframe pictures.
Panssari Salama - Paying homage to Avalon Hill PanzerBlitz and Panzer Leader board games from those fab '70s.

Panssari Salama

Post by Panssari Salama » 22 Apr 2016, 17:15

So let us continue with HLeLv 34 then.

I tried, in vain, to find a war time picture of an 1st Flight airframe with the "eagle fledgling" emblem on it. In fact, I did not find any at all, so the post-war MT-501 picture by John Hilly was the first actual one I've seen painted on "real" MTs

I went through the SA-Kuva.fi archive, and found this, though:

• Mannerheim Cross Knight, Major Luukkanen in his fighter plane, scrambling to intercept hostile aircraft. Immola Air field, 1944.06.15
    Mannerheim-ritari, majuri Luukkanen hävittäjäkoneessaan lähdössä hälytyslennolle. Immolan lentokenttä 1944.06.15
    Source: SA-Kuva.fi
We're quite unlucky the wing of his MT-451 hides the airframe number and the emblem. Or are we?

Question: Assuming this is indeed Major Luukkanen as the text informs us, is this indeed MT-451?

Panssari Salama

Post by Panssari Salama » 22 Apr 2016, 17:17

Panssari Salama wrote:
Question: Assuming this is indeed Major Luukkanen as the text informs us, is this indeed MT-451?

Here's another MT-451 model picture, in a similar position as the picture above:

The "White 0" seems to be missing, but hey ho the other one is a picture of a model, while the other one is an old black-and-white photograph...?

Panssari Salama

Post by Panssari Salama » 27 Apr 2016, 19:25

Panssari Salama wrote:So let us continue with HLeLv 34 then.

I tried, in vain, to find a war time picture of an 1st Flight airframe with the "eagle fledgling" emblem on it. In fact, I did not find any at all, so the post-war MT-501 picture by John Hilly was the first actual one I've seen painted on "real" MTs

• Mannerheim Cross Knight, Major Luukkanen in his fighter plane, scrambling to intercept hostile aircraft. Immola Air field, 1944.06.15
    Mannerheim-ritari, majuri Luukkanen hävittäjäkoneessaan lähdössä hälytyslennolle. Immolan lentokenttä 1944.06.15
We're quite unlucky the wing of his MT-451 hides the airframe number and the emblem. Or are we?

The answer to this question can be found by looking at Major Luukkanen's where abouts on this date...

John Hilly

Post by John Hilly » 28 Apr 2016, 15:56

My earlier post seems to have vanished to the heaven of bits, so here's a pic again:
MT-423.jpg
MT-423.jpg (20.96 KiB) Viewed 2922 times
MT-451.jpg
Source: http://personal.inet.fi/peli/LLv34/LLv34/2hist.htm

Panssari Salama

Post by Panssari Salama » 28 Apr 2016, 19:09

Thank you JH! Where is the lower picture from? I've never seen it before :thumbsup:

John Hilly

Post by John Hilly » 29 Apr 2016, 10:45

Problem is that I reframed it from a picture whose URL was in the post that was mysteriously lost.
Now I just can not find it anymore. :(

With best, J-P :milwink:

peeved

Post by peeved » 29 Apr 2016, 12:08

From the same page as this pic from a book unknown to me based on the numbering:

Markus

Panssari Salama

Post by Panssari Salama » 29 Apr 2016, 18:58

peeved wrote:From the same page as this pic from a book unknown to me based on the numbering:

Markus
Thank you!

Panssari Salama

Post by Panssari Salama » 29 Apr 2016, 19:00

Let us bring this question to its disclosure so we can all go out and enjoy the coming 1st of May celebrations! :thumbsup:

Here's the previous questions, in bold font:
Panssari Salama wrote:

The answer to this question can be found by looking at Major Luukkanen's where abouts on this date...
Next hint:

To answer the original question there's a certain table or statistics available, also online, with information regarding the pilot, the airframe he used, and the date in question, among other statistical information being presented :milwink:

Panssari Salama

Post by Panssari Salama » 02 May 2016, 14:51

Panssari Salama wrote:Let us bring this question to its disclosure so we can all go out and enjoy the coming 1st of May celebrations! :thumbsup:

Here's the previous questions, in bold font:
Panssari Salama wrote:

Next hint:

To answer the original question there's a certain table or statistics available, also online, with information regarding the pilot, the airframe he used, and the date in question, among other statistical information being presented :milwink:
At a web page detailing HLeLv 34 aerial wins, there's the following information available regarding Major Luukkanen:

14. june 1944 17.15–18.15hrs Kuuterselkä Maj Eino Luukkanen MT-417 Airacobra
15. june 1944 9.45–10.55hrs Valkjärvi Maj Eino Luukkanen MT-417 Pe-2
17. june 1944 11.10–12.20hrs Perkjärvi and Kaukjärvi Maj Eino Luukkanen MT-417 Il-2 and La-5

Therefore it is likely the airframe in the picture is MT-417. :milsmile:
Last edited by Panssari Salama on 02 May 2016, 14:52, edited 2 times in total.

Panssari Salama

Post by Panssari Salama » 02 May 2016, 14:51

:welcome: Anyone with a good question please proceed :welcome:

Return to “Winter War & Continuation War”