Movements of unit 2.Tyk.K code 9423 around end August 1941

Discussions on the Winter War and Continuation War, the wars between Finland and the USSR.
Hosted by Juha Tompuri
Riku

Movements of unit 2.Tyk.K code 9423 around end August 1941

Post by Riku » 18 Oct 2005, 23:51

Long shot on supporting research for a book.

Does anyone have any insights on what were the moevements / what happened to the above referenced gunnery unit around end of August in the Leipäsuo, Muolaa region?

Either actual information or a reputable information source would be great.

Kiitos paljon.

Riku

Eisenfaust

Post by Eisenfaust » 07 Nov 2005, 23:12

Hi,

1. and 2.Er.Pst.K (aka. 5. and 2.Tyk.K) were attached to Kev.JR 4 (Lt.Col. Nordgren) on August 11th 1941.
If you read Finnish there are about 50 pages (171-2xx) about the movements of Kev.JR 4 in late August in the book Jatkosodan historia, WSOY 1989, part II (ISBN 951-0-15328-1). If you can't read Finnish there are still some maps that might be helpful to you.

From http://muolaa.com/paasivu.htm

HYÖKKÄYSTOIMINTAA SUMMAN - KYYRÖLÄN – MUOLAAN – PUNNUKSEN SUUNNASSA 25. – 26.8.

Kev.JR 4, joka matkalla Leipäsuota kohden oli Ylä-Hotakan – Kattilaojan maastossa kohdannut varustetuissa asemissa olevan vahvan vihollisen, joutui kiivaisiin taisteluihin. Jatkaessaan seuraavana päivänä taisteluaan rykmentin pyrki saartamaan Ylä- Hotakkaa puolustavat vihollisvoimat katkaisemalla niiden Muolaanjärven länsipuolelle johtavat yhteydet Kattilaojan suunnalla, mutta vihollisen lujan vastarinnan vuoksi ei toivottua tulosta vielä 26.8. saavutettu.

Kun Kev.JR 4 kevyeksi järjestettynä joukkona oli suunnitelman mukaan käytettävä hyökkäykseen IV AK:n eteläisempiin tavoitteisiin, annettiin 12.D:aan liitetylle everstiluutnantti Sauren komentamelle JR 46:lle käsky vapauttaa se taistelusta ja vallata Hotakan seudun maasto. JR 46 siirtyi Ylä-Hotakan – Aulusjärven maastoon, ja majuri A. Sundbladin johtamana I/JR 46 ryhtyi illalla 26.8. etenemään Ylä- ja Ala-Hotakan edustalla asemissa olevaa vihollista vastaan samalla alkaen vapauttaa Kev.JR 4:n voimia taistelusta.

Edit: some corrections and additions
=E=
Last edited by Eisenfaust on 08 Nov 2005, 19:36, edited 1 time in total.

Esa K

Post by Esa K » 08 Nov 2005, 16:38

Hi

Eisenfaust wrote:
Kev.JR 4
Kev. = Kevyt = Light... Never seen before (well, havent read all the books about the Continuation War yet... :wink:) that a Finnish Infantry Regiment was designated light. Why was JR 4 in 1941 designated as a light regiment...?

Regards

Esa K

Juha Hujanen

Post by Juha Hujanen » 08 Nov 2005, 18:25

JR4 was re-organised late July 41 to Kev.JR 4 and Rask.P.Basicly Kev.JR 4 contained I-II battalions and Rask.P III battalion.Most of
heavy weapons went to Rask.P.The idea came from regiment commander Lt.Col.Nordgren.It was supposed to make rigid regiment structure more flexible.

The units operated in different sectors and 3.9.41 regiment was united again.

There's more info in Olavi Lopmeri's-Punamustarykmentti I.I'll check it out what it had to say of 2.Tyk.K.

Cheers/Juha

Esa K

Post by Esa K » 08 Nov 2005, 19:12

Thanks Juha H. for a fast answer...

Interesting how such, what to call them; semi ad-hoc formations, could be created. On whos approval could those changes be done in the structure, Division commander, Army Corps, or...?

regards

Esa K

ML

Post by ML » 09 Nov 2005, 10:03

I don't think Rask.P/JR 4 was the same as III/JR 4. III/JR 4 was subordinated to JR 24 of 8.D and fought first west of Viipurinlahti and later at Nuoraa–Sommee area. At the same time (23.8.41), Rask.P/JR 4 was with Kev.Pr. T east of Viipuri (Mannikkala–Pero area). Kev.JR 4 was at Heinjoki and attacked south towards Kämärä.

Kev.JR 4 had two battalions (I/Kev.JR 4, capt. Holopainen and II/Kev.JR 4, capt. Salske (KIA) /capt. Inomaa)

Juha Hujanen

Post by Juha Hujanen » 09 Nov 2005, 18:41

ML is quite right.Rask.P wasn't the same as III/JR 4.

Rask.P was formed from:

-commander and reduced HQ
-signal platoon
-3rd and 6th company,mortar company (minus 1 platoon) and 2 squads from heavy mortar company
-1st and 2nd mg-company's(both with 2 platoons)

So infact JR 4 was divided to 3 parts.All the info was in Lopmeri's book but i didn't noticed it :oops:

The idea came from Nordgren and it was approved in IV Corps.The re-organization was not probably what Nordgren had in mind but more likely an compromise when III/JR 4 was taken away.

Cheers/Juha

Riku

Thanks.

Post by Riku » 10 Nov 2005, 16:11

Thanks for the various replies and clairifications... these are good leads and background!!!

Am following up on some specific sources as a result. The period leading up to early September is of particular interest

While I have been able to pull together various other materials from web-sites and interviews in Finland, I may later be looking for interviews (either in person or my e-mail etc) to add some further colour to experiences of skirmishes and trench life but will post request at that time when I have some specifics info to gather.

Best regards and thanks to all members who have provided insight thus far.

Riku

Return to “Winter War & Continuation War”