About foreign aid to Finland during the Winter War

Discussions on the Winter War and Continuation War, the wars between Finland and the USSR.
Hosted by Juha Tompuri
peeved

Re: About foreign aid to Finland during the Winter War

Post by peeved » 13 Mar 2009, 00:32

Juha Tompuri wrote:
peeved wrote:See pictures below from "Kennblätter fremden Geräts" of Panzerabwehrmine 401 (e) - engl Mk I - Pz Mi 401 (e) (mine anti-tank Mark I) possibly the same as A.T Mine G.S. Mk I and Panzerabwehrmine 408 (e) - engl L P Mk II (egypt) - Pz Mi 408 (e) possibly the same as A.T Mine E.P. Mk II.
Thanks, very interesting drawings.
No other similar looking mine types at the book?
None in the shoestring-bound collection of separate pages I have.

Markus

peeved

Post by peeved » 13 Mar 2009, 14:54

...he that increaseth knowledge increaseth sorrow.

On page 234 of "Jatkosodan historia, Vol. 1" (WSOY 1988) there is a description of mines and explosive traps in Finnish use in the beginning of the Continuation War. Anti-tank mine m/40 is characterized a high, cylindrical iron mine weighing 4,2 kg of which 3,2 kg HE !!! Rather extraordinary total weight/HE content ratio compared to eg. the wooden m/S-40 (7,5 kg/3,5 kg HE) and the imported Tellermine 35: m/41 (10 kg/5 kg HE). The m/40 had a pressure fuze that activated with a pressure of 150 kg. Sounds really nothing like the mine labelled m/40 in the Engineer Museum unless the mine is lacking some (very light) parts.

OTOH at http://www.jaegerplatoon.net/landmines3.htm it is said of the
PANSSARIMIINA m/40 (antitank-mine m/40): Only one of Finnish sources claims that this mine even existed. None of the Finnish military manuals even mention it. So, either it didn't exist or it may have been prototype, which never saw mass-production. Supposedly it had disc-shaped circular sheet metal body, its diameter was 16 cm and height 14 cm. This supposed mine weight 4.2-kg, which included 3.2-kg explosive charge. The claimed fuse was typical pressure activated type with activation pressure of 150-kg.
The Museum's m/40 is disc-shaped and based on the boat mine beside it the diameter is in the ballpark. Even accounting for the photo angle I doubt if the photographed example is 14 cm high though; maybe it would be 14 cm high and cylindrical with e.g. a missing pressure plate attached.

Markus

Juha Tompuri
Forum Staff

Post by Juha Tompuri » 13 Mar 2009, 16:38

peeved wrote:...he that increaseth knowledge increaseth sorrow.
Not neccessary :wink:
peeved wrote:On page 234 of "Jatkosodan historia, Vol. 1" (WSOY 1988) there is a description of mines and explosive traps in Finnish use in the beginning of the Continuation War. Anti-tank mine m/40 is characterized a high, cylindrical iron mine weighing 4,2 kg of which 3,2 kg HE !!! Rather extraordinary total weight/HE content ratio compared to eg. the wooden m/S-40 (7,5 kg/3,5 kg HE) and the imported Tellermine 35: m/41 (10 kg/5 kg HE).
The advantage of thin metal case.
The amount of HE perhaps does not point towards the (early) pre-WWII AT-mines.
peeved wrote:Sounds really nothing like the mine labelled m/40 in the Engineer Museum unless the mine is lacking some (very light) parts.
Here G.S. Mk II pressure plates:
Image http://www.battlefront.com/community/sh ... nextnewest

peeved wrote:OTOH at http://www.jaegerplatoon.net/landmines3.htm it is said of the
PANSSARIMIINA m/40 (antitank-mine m/40): Only one of Finnish sources claims that this mine even existed. None of the Finnish military manuals even mention it. So, either it didn't exist or it may have been prototype, which never saw mass-production. Supposedly it had disc-shaped circular sheet metal body, its diameter was 16 cm and height 14 cm. This supposed mine weight 4.2-kg, which included 3.2-kg explosive charge. The claimed fuse was typical pressure activated type with activation pressure of 150-kg.
The Museum's m/40 is disc-shaped and based on the boat mine beside it the diameter is in the ballpark. Even accounting for the photo angle I doubt if the photographed example is 14 cm high though; maybe it would be 14 cm high and cylindrical with e.g. a missing pressure plate attached.
IIRC the diameter could well the one mentioned, but as you mentioned, the height perhaps not.
Of the known types, the (complete)G.S. MkIII would fit to the "pic" with the approx size, soldering used and activation pressure required, but not with the weight and several other things.

http://www.wwiiequipment.com/index.php? ... &Itemid=59
The Mine G.S. Mk III has three principal components: the loaded mine body, the mine cover, and the fuze. The mine cover fits loosely over the top of the body when the mine is laid, and is raised slightly at the center to form a seating for the top of the fuze. For transit purposes the cover fits over the bottom of the mine and is secured with adhesive tape. The loaded mine body is cylindrical in shape and is closed at the top with a lid soldered in place. After filling, the bottom of the mine body is closed with a base plate, which is pressed in and coated with cement for moisture-proofing. A central well in the mine body is provided for the insertion of the fuze. Immediately below the fuze well is located a C.E. booster pellet surrounding the Detonator No. 27, and below that is placed a solid TNT pellet. This mine is used as a defense against armored cars and other vehicles. The mine will break the tracks of light and medium tanks, and disable other vehicles.
http://maic.jmu.edu/journal/supplementa ... ions.asp#G

Regards, Juha

phylo_roadking

Post by phylo_roadking » 13 Mar 2009, 19:21

Of the known types, the (complete)G.S. MkIII would fit to the "pic" with the approx size, soldering used and activation pressure required, but not with the weight and several other things.
...including appearance, shape, lack of a side-mounted fuse....

http://tewton.narod.ru/mines-4/MK-III.html

Juha Tompuri
Forum Staff

Post by Juha Tompuri » 13 Mar 2009, 20:01

The mine in question is not a G.S. MkIII
phylo_roadking wrote:...including appearance, shape, lack of a side-mounted fuse....
Yes, exept the we don't know the exact role of the side cavity.

Regards, Juha

JTV

Post by JTV » 13 Mar 2009, 21:19

There has a lot of interesting discussion here lately. Couple of things:
1. What I remember the information about antitank-mine M/40 in my website is from "Aseopas IV, Tykkejä ja miinoja" (Weapons manual IV, Artillery pieces and mines) by Päämaja manual. "Aseopas"-manuals were series of leaflets about new weaponry (for captured Soviet, new Finnish designs and new equipment acquired from foreign sources during the war) and published by Finnish military in 1939 - 1940. Some items in these manuals are shown with drawings and some not. Unfortunately I don't have the particular manual - I remember reading it in library of Maanpuolustuskorkeakoulu (National Defence Collage) few years back.

2. I checked some books and what they tell about antitank-mines acquired from Great Britain during Winter War:
- "Apu jota ei annettu" (Help that was not given) by Jukka Nevakivi: Page 145 mentions among other things British export license approved for 8,000 antitank-mines.
- "Talvisodan puolustusministeri kertoo" (Defence Minister of Winter War tells) by Juho Niukkanen: Page 169 has a list of equipment bought from Great Britain containing 450 mines.
I would not call either of these most reliable source possible, but since we don't seem to have anything better, maybe they are better than nothing. Nevakivi tells that he "leaves making the accurate list of acquired weaponry to true military historians and even his short lists contains some pretty obvious mistakes (114-mm howitzers listed as 105-mm etc). Niukkanen's list is not too accurate either - it contains among other things order of 20 million 7.62-mm rifle rounds, which (as mentioned) was ultimately cancelled since delivery failed to happen, motor torpedo boats (never delivered) etc.

I just wish that I would have been able to find better primary sources about these. Finnish Armed Forces GHQ Ordnance Department (Taisteluväline-osasto) kept excellent record of the items it acquired, but unfortunately landmines were apparently not its responsibility and the sappers apparently were not so good in keeping records. I once spent two days in the archives trying to find some reports, delivery documents or anything about wartime sapper equipment like landmines and flamethrowers - with little result.

My impression is that the number of British antitank-mines could not have been anywhere near as large as 15,000 mentioned before. Finnish Army antitank-mine manuals published during Continuation War go to considerable detail with antitank-mines like M/36, only 5,000 of which was ever manufactured and large part of these had already been used by the time the manuals were published (1941 & 1944). But still M/40 is not even mentioned in these manuals - hence IMHO the number of these mines in Finnish use could not have been very large.

Nevakivi mentions that equipment, that had not been yet delivered from Great Britain by end of Winter War, didn't leave after that either. Even three ships in British harbours already loaded with war-materials about to be shipped to Finland were disbarked.

Jarkko
Last edited by JTV on 14 Mar 2009, 23:04, edited 3 times in total.

phylo_roadking

Post by phylo_roadking » 13 Mar 2009, 21:35

What about coming at the problem from the other side?

What exists in Russian military literature about Finnish mine types encountered, or manuals about handling/defusing them?

peeved

Post by peeved » 13 Mar 2009, 22:20

JTV wrote:My impression is that the number of British antitank-mines could not have been anywhere near as large as 15,000 mentioned before. Finnish Army antitank-mine manuals published during Continuation War go to considerable detail with antitank-mines like M/36, only 5,000 of which was ever manufactured and large part of these had already been used by the time the manuals were published (1941 & 1944). But still M/40 is not even mentioned in these manuals - hence IMHO the number of these mines in Finnish use could have been very large.

Nevakivi mentions that equipment that had not been delivered from Great Britain by end of Winter War didn't leave after that. Even three ships in British harbours already loaded with war-materials about to be shipped to Finland were disbarked.
IMO 5000 British AT mines seems the likely minimum; since they were reported in the rather well-researched "Talvisodan Historia" Vol 4 delivered in January 1940. How many if any of the 10 000 additional AT mines ordered from the UK during the Winter War were actually delivered is indeed debatable. If for example the real total was ca. 6000 a misplaced comma would explain the rather doubtful number of 60,000 Brit AT mines quoted in "Marskin Panssarintuhoojat" by E. Käkelä.

Markus

Juha Tompuri
Forum Staff

Post by Juha Tompuri » 14 Mar 2009, 21:44

peeved wrote:IMO 5000 British AT mines seems the likely minimum; since they were reported in the rather well-researched "Talvisodan Historia" Vol 4 delivered in January 1940. How many if any of the 10 000 additional AT mines ordered from the UK during the Winter War were actually delivered is indeed debatable.
As I earlier wrote, the origin and the fate of the "10 000 AT-mines ordered" is quite unclear.
Here the original text:
... ulkomailta, muun muassa Englannista, tilattiin näiden lisäksi 10 000 telamiinaa, joita ei sodan aikana ehditty saada..."
" in addition to these (the mines received and locally manufactured, JT) also from abroad, among others from Britain, 10 000 AT-mines, that were not received during the war, were ordered"

Also, it would be strange if Finland would have received thousands of the British AT-mines, AFAIK not used during the Winter War, they would have remained so little known in Finland.

Regards, Juha

peeved

Post by peeved » 14 Mar 2009, 22:17

Juha Tompuri wrote:" in addition to these (the mines received and locally manufactured, JT) also from abroad, among others from Britain, 10 000 AT-mines, that were not received during the war, were ordered"
Dang; I must've misread that 10 000 AT-mines ordered from Britain. My three Rs tend to deteriorate through the evening hours.

Markus

Juha Tompuri
Forum Staff

Post by Juha Tompuri » 15 Mar 2009, 11:06

JTV wrote: Finnish Army antitank-mine manuals published during Continuation War go to considerable detail with antitank-mines like M/36, only 5,000 of which was ever manufactured and large part of these had already been used by the time the manuals were published (1941 & 1944). But still M/40 is not even mentioned in these manuals
At the appendix Pioneeriaselajin historia 1918 - 1968 (The history of Engineer arm 1918 - 1968) by Eero-Eetu Saarinen is listed the literature of Finnish engineer arm.
Book #34 being Hv. miinan M/40 käyttöohje (manual for AT-mine M/40)
Written by LtCol H. Uimonen, 6 pages and published on 22th Feb-40.

Regards, Juha

John T

Post by John T » 15 Mar 2009, 11:22

Juha Tompuri wrote: Also, it would be strange if Finland would have received thousands of the British AT-mines, AFAIK not used during the Winter War, they would have remained so little known in Finland.

Regards, Juha
The simplest explanation(IMHO) whould be that the first batch where used up during the winter war and no more arrived in Finland.

A second hypothesis could be that Finland sold them back to UK during summer 1940, The britts would have been desperate enough to buy and the Finns wanted to ship out goods with the highest price per volume through Liinahammari.
The same way the Swedes where offered to buy back those Motala mines.

Cheers
/John T.

Juha Tompuri
Forum Staff

Post by Juha Tompuri » 15 Mar 2009, 11:37

John T wrote:The simplest explanation(IMHO) whould be that the first batch where used up during the winter war and no more arrived in Finland.
At the E-E Saarinen book there is a list of mines used during Winter War, and the M/40 is not there.
John T wrote:A second hypothesis could be that Finland sold them back to UK during summer 1940, The britts would have been desperate enough to buy and the Finns wanted to ship out goods with the highest price per volume through Liinahammari.
I think somewhere should then have been left a mark/mention of such transaction.

John T wrote:The same way the Swedes where offered to buy back those Motala mines.
Is anywhere any details of those mines?

Regards, Juha

Juha Tompuri
Forum Staff

Post by Juha Tompuri » 17 Mar 2009, 00:09

Seems that the Engineer museum has labelled the mine wrong.
http://www.ksk.edu.ee/est/muuseum/kogud/lahingumoon

http://lexpev.nl/minesandcharges/soviet ... /tm34.html
The Estonian army recognized the significance of the anti-tank defence already in its early days. As early as in 1929-1933 Lieutenant Theodor-Nikolai Tomson developed a very modern anti-tank mine TM-34 and 12000 mines were manufactured. TM-34 was a waterproof polyfunctional mine with adjustable ignition pressure. The use of a special arming key rendered laying and recovering safe. Later, an upgraded model TM-37 was made.
http://forum.boinaslava.net/showthread.php?t=7787

Regards, Juha

Mangrove

Post by Mangrove » 21 Apr 2011, 10:34

There is a list on todays Ilta-Sanomat (IS 21.4.2011) newspaper of the aid sent by Portugal onboard SS Greta to Finland on 14 March 1940:

19 902 crates of sardines
956 crates of onions
157 crates of canned fish
27 crates of pineapples
A crate of rubber hot water bottles
A crate of wool sweaters and
A crate of skis.

Return to “Winter War & Continuation War”