When were Auschwitz crematoria ruins closed off?

Discussions on the Holocaust and 20th Century War Crimes. Note that Holocaust denial is not allowed. Hosted by David Thompson.
Geoff Walden

When were Auschwitz crematoria ruins closed off?

Post by Geoff Walden » 26 Feb 2015, 16:49

Does anyone know the date, or year, when the chains or cords were put up around the ruins of the crematorium buildings at Auschwitz-Birkenau, to keep visitors off the ruins and making it so no-one could go down inside the ruins or stand on the ruins anymore? Or when the metal bars were put over the staircases, for the same purpose?

Makarov

Re: When were Auschwitz crematoria ruins closed off?

Post by Makarov » 26 Feb 2015, 19:07

When I first visited Auschwitz in the mid nineties you could freely walk around the ruins of the crematorias, there weren´t any signs, chains or cords or anything, it was even possible to climb the roof of the crematoria in Stammlager, I think it remained liked that at least until 2002. When I in 2008 again started to visit Auschwitz frequently the museum had put up chains, chords and signs around the ruins to keep people of (when they did that I don´t know). It remained liked that at least until July 2010. When I visited Auschwitz in June 2012 the metal bars were there which mean they had the metal bars installed sometimes between July 2010 and June 2012. I´m sorry I can´t be more specifik than this.

Geoff Walden

Re: When were Auschwitz crematoria ruins closed off?

Post by Geoff Walden » 26 Feb 2015, 19:56

Thanks, that's just the info I was looking for!

Return to “Holocaust & 20th Century War Crimes”