Dresden, 1945

Discussions on the Holocaust and 20th Century War Crimes. Note that Holocaust denial is not allowed. Hosted by David Thompson.
David Thompson
Forum Staff

Re: Dresden, 1945

Post by David Thompson » 27 Apr 2009, 05:06

Boby -- You asked:
¿What do you think?
From Mr. Irving's column, which said:
eighty- to one-hundred thousand missing-person notifications are estimated to have been registered so far
it's difficult to tell from his description what a "missing person notification" is without seeing some of them. It might be 80,000-1000,000 individuals missing, as Mr. Irving suggests. On the other hand, it might be a collection of inquiries from A, B, C, and D, asking about E, and E asking about A, B, C, and D.

Zebedee

Post by Zebedee » 27 Apr 2009, 16:16

Hi all,

the usual caveats to Irving 'finds' applying, I'd suggest the final point of the message is the key one "accurate statistical data possibly only later." Estimates of missing person notifications may well be accurate, but how many missing persons they actually represent (as Dave Thompson suggests) is another kettle of fish altogether.

All the best,

Zeb

Grisu

Post by Grisu » 27 Apr 2009, 17:12

In my humble opinion, it's nonsense as usual. Irving's 135.000-number (which had developed from Voigt's original report of "35.000" and had received an extra "1" by Irving to make it "135.000") was proven - and remains - unsustainable.

To start with, the source lists 80.000 to 100.000 people reported missing. As one may expect with Irving, he first takes the higher number of that range, only to reason 'logically' that this figure (as given in the source) "must be an underestimate". Must? Why? So it becomes "brutally clear" that the ones reported mission "were never going to return"? Clear? Why? A historian would evaluate the source. What Irving does is merely jumping to conclusions.

Second, Irving again repeats his claim of the "over half a million homeless refugees in the streets of Dresden". (As an aside: Previously, Irving had given that number of refugees as "hundreds of thousands of refugees" [1966] and "one or two million refugees" [1995] respectively.) The wartime population of Dresden was approx. 650.000, so "over half a million refugees in the streets" of this town would have struck out somehow, wouldn't it? As long as Irving entirely fails to provide any source for his "over half a million"-claim, I utterly, utterly, utterly distrust him.

I feel I should mention that my reference is a publication of the historian Irving refers to as "Skunky" on his homepage - a lay psychologist would probably try to see "Skunky's" thorough demonstration of Irving's incompetence as a historian as the source for the latter's insulting anger...

Able

Dresden

Post by Able » 18 Mar 2010, 11:44

David Thompson
Forum Staff

Post by David Thompson » 18 Mar 2010, 14:15

Here's the linked article, just it case it disappears from the internet:
German report says Dresden firebomb toll was exaggerated

A furious debate about one of the most controversial episodes of the Second World War was ignited yesterday when an official German report concluded that fewer people were killed in the Allied bombing of Dresden than many reports previously estimated.

A commission of historians confirmed earlier findings that up to 25,000 people died in the firestorm unleashed by British and US bombers on February 13-15, 1945.

The study was meant to resolve a dispute that has raged in Germany for decades, with far-right groups claiming that up to 500,000 people were killed in the attack. Critics of the raids have sought to have them classified as a war crime, arguing that they were strategically unnecessary because Germany was already on its knees, and that they targeted civilians rather than military objectives.

In recent years a consensus has emerged among most historians that between 25,000 and 40,000 were killed in the bombing of one of the most beautiful Baroque cities in Europe. However, the reaction to yesterday’s exhaustively researched figure suggested that many in Germany still believe that the death toll was significantly higher.

Within an hour of the report 150 protesters marched on Dresden town hall, while Ralf Lunau, the city’s cultural commissioner, announced that: “This has not ended the debate at all.”

During five years of research the Dresden Historians’ Commission reviewed records from city archives, cemeteries, official registries and courts and checked them against published reports and witness accounts. The figure of 25,000 matches conclusions reached by local authorities immediately after the war, in 1945 and 1946.

The report also found that the number of refugees fleeing the Eastern Front who were killed in the bombing was lower than often presumed, and dismissed speculation that many victims’ bodies were never recovered.

The inflated death toll was partly the work of the far-right historian David Irving, who in his 1963 book The Destruction of Dresden called the bombing a deliberate war crime. He based his figures on a Nazi document that reported 202,400 dead: the historian Frederick Taylor said the document had been faked by the Nazis, who had simply added a nought to each total.

The bombing, in which more than 3,900 tonnes of high explosives and incendiaries dropped by 1,300 bombers destroyed the city centre, has long been a significant factor in Anglo-German relations, as well as a stain on Bomber Command’s reputation. When the Queen visited Dresden in 1992 eggs were thrown at her and protesters demanded an apology.

In February this year, about 6,400 neo-Nazis rallied on the 65th anniversary of the raids. They aimed to stage a “funeral march”, but 12,000 counter-protesters blocked this.

The commission said its conclusions had far-reaching implications for history’s understanding of the war’s final chapter, and how Germans see their own role in the war.
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/w ... ttr=797093

ghostsoldier

Post by ghostsoldier » 18 Mar 2010, 21:19

And the debate rages on.....
Rob
"Even God cannot change the past. "
-Agathon (448 BC - 400 BC)

Grisu

Post by Grisu » 19 Mar 2010, 12:56

Which debate? Irving's vs. the commission's number? Never been easier...

Boby

Post by Boby » 29 Mar 2010, 13:00

David Thompson
Forum Staff

Post by David Thompson » 29 Mar 2010, 14:24

Thanks for that link, Boby.

Swordoftruth

Post by Swordoftruth » 12 Oct 2011, 00:30

It is without doubt one of the worst bombing raids in history with such a devastating loss of life. Here we are concentrating on numbers of the dead, we talk of incineration. But it has often been repeated that Churchill knew of the mass genocide of the Jews before the end of the war, and if we're going to talk numbers some 6,000,000 men women and children had been killed and incinerated. Some say it was beacuse of this that Churchill ordered the bombing of Dresden.
War is war, there is nothing pleasant about it, it involves killing, it is not game of cricket gentlemen, it is about winning and breaking spirits of the attacker. I don't agree with either, but let's put things in perspective?

David Thompson
Forum Staff

Post by David Thompson » 12 Oct 2011, 04:35

Swordoftruth -- Our readers come here for sourced information, not posters' personal notions or opinions. See the forum and section rules:
Undocumented claims undercut the research purposes of this section of the forum. Consequently, it is required that proof be posted along with a claim. The main reason is that proof, evidence, facts, etc. improve the quality of discussions and information. A second reason is that inflammatory, groundless posts and threads attack, and do not promote, the scholarly purpose of this section of the forum. For more on this subject, see the announcement at http://forum.axishistory.com/viewtopic. ... 676#990676

Since the purpose of this section of the forum is to exchange information and hold informed discussions about historical problems, posts which express unsolicited opinions without supporting facts and sources do not promote the purposes of the forum. Consequently, such posts are subject to deletion after a warning to the poster.

The same reasoning applies to opinion threads.
http://forum.axishistory.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=53962

Consider this your warning.

Swordoftruth

Post by Swordoftruth » 13 Oct 2011, 03:32

David Thompson, my post was considered approved by the administrator, are you the administrator? It is without doubt that between 5 million and 6 million jews were the victims of genocide and then incinerated. This I believe to be substantiated fact.
I understand that another important rule of this site is not to be a Holocaust denier, so therefore, I believe I am stating substantiated fact.
Genocide was truly a war crime. My point was that Dresden while considered by most, including myself, as a non legitimate target cannot be considered a war crime in the context of what was happening in Germany at that time. I don't believe two wrongs make a right. But war is war, and as I said before, it is not played by the Marquess of Queensbury rules, and to deem it as a war crime given the genocide and bombing of Britain and other allied countries at the time is disproportionate.
As I said before let's put everything in perspective.

Swordoftruth

Post by Swordoftruth » 13 Oct 2011, 03:41

David Thompson, surely people stating on this site that the bombing of Dresden was a war crime is, to quote you, "a personal notion or opinion"? And certainly "Inflammatory"?

David Thompson
Forum Staff

Post by David Thompson » 13 Oct 2011, 06:45

Swordoftruth You asked: (1)
David Thompson, my post was considered approved by the administrator, are you the administrator?
I am the administrator who approved your post.

(2)
David Thompson, surely people stating on this site that the bombing of Dresden was a war crime is, to quote you, "a personal notion or opinion"? And certainly "Inflammatory"?
Yes. It's just a conclusory and negative claim without any supporting facts or reasons to back it up.

Swordoftruth

Post by Swordoftruth » 14 Oct 2011, 14:03

Thank you David for your fair approach to my post and your understanding.

Return to “Holocaust & 20th Century War Crimes”