Blood transfusions from children

Discussions on the Holocaust and 20th Century War Crimes. Note that Holocaust denial is not allowed. Hosted by David Thompson.
BYork

Blood transfusions from children

Post by BYork » 21 Dec 2002, 00:58

I would like to find out if it is true that blood was taken from children for
NAZI soldiers. Is there any historical proof of this? Opinions?

In particular, I want to find out if anyone knows of anything that was
done as a film/movie/docu-drama on television. Propaganda film?

The reason I am trying to find info is because I have some memory from very early childhood of watching a "movie" on television with a little girl dying in her grandfather's arms after blood had been taken from her to give to a NAZI soldier.

The film was probably 1960 or earlier. I know I was between 3 and 5 years old when I saw this on television. It scared the crap out of me and I had nightmares about it for years. Just wanting to gain some adult perspective on my childhood trauma.

Scott Smith

NAZI VAMPIRES OF THE STEPPE...

Post by Scott Smith » 21 Dec 2002, 02:46

I believe this was the theme in the movie North Star (1943), classic Greuelpropaganda.
NORTH STAR

Starring:
Walter Huston, Anne Baxter, Dana Andrews, Ann Harding
(more credits)

Directed by:
Lewis Milestone

Synopsis: Both director Lewis Milestone and the film's screenwriter, Lillian Hellman came under close scrutiny during the HUAC hearings for having worked on a film so sympathetic to the Russian people. The committee seemed to have forgotten that, at the time, the Soviet Union was an ally. The film, starring Walter Huston as Dr. Kurin, opens on a typically peaceful day in the rural village of North Star. But as Kolya (Dana Andrews), an off-duty military pilot and his brother Damian (Farley Granger) walk along a village road with their friends Marina (Anne Baxter) and Claudia (Jane Withers), they're attacked by the Luftwaffe. The village is also bombed and the people quickly organize to fight an incipient invasion. Dr. Kurin orders the villagers to burn their houses, to leave nothing for the Nazis. Despite a brief conflict, the Nazis occupy the village, and the famous German surgeon Dr. Otto von Harden (Erich von Stroheim) reveals the purpose of their visit. He intends to bleed the village children to provide transfusions for the Nazi wounded. Erich von Stroheim and Walter Huston turn in excellent performances, and Aaron Copland contributes a fine score.

The film North Star is available on VHS from Amazon to support this site ONLY by clicking my link below!

CLICK! Image

BYork

Post by BYork » 21 Dec 2002, 07:39

WOW! First answer wins the prize. I remember the grandfather and the Nazi doctor. Thank you Scott. This is the movie that gave me nightmares for years.

My parents were always very careful of what we saw on television, my grandparents didn't realize how attentive we were.

When I went into the hospital for pneumonia in third grade I absolutely flipped when a male nurse came to draw my blood. I had never had a problem with the female nurses, but I flashed back on that movie and just totally wigged out. Six adults were not able to hold me down.

Again, thank you for the info.

Scott Smith

Post by Scott Smith » 21 Dec 2002, 10:01

BYork wrote:WOW! First answer wins the prize.
What do I win?
8)

Return to “Holocaust & 20th Century War Crimes”