SS Female Camp Women

Discussions on the Holocaust and 20th Century War Crimes. Note that Holocaust denial is not allowed. Hosted by David Thompson.
Vikki
Forum Staff

Re: photos of ss aufseherin needed

Post by Vikki » 21 Feb 2009, 20:12

planetar wrote:Hej Janusz!

Nie wiem czemu ta dziewczyna szuka az tylu informacji o nadzorczyniach... Nie musiala pisac kilkunastu nowych postow, moglaby zapytac sie o to w jednym temacie... Pozdrawiam!
Planetar, please post in English (which is the language of the Forum) so that everyone can benefit from your information.

~Vikki

Vikki
Forum Staff

Re: rosy suss and charlotte mayer

Post by Vikki » 21 Feb 2009, 20:18

I agree with the points of both of your questions, Max.

quadriff, please do some research using the Forum's and other search engines before spamming the section with (in this case 21) requests for info and photos of various Aufseherinnen.

~Vikki

Alex Tijerina

Re: ss oberaufseherin marianne essmann

Post by Alex Tijerina » 23 Feb 2009, 04:45

i have tried using the available search facilities, but there is little to no information
on her.

I agree with you. I have also tryed to find more about the women after the war but to no avail. I was able to get the book "The Camp Women" through interlibary loan and I tryed using google to search this one female guard with no info into what happen to here after the war . I even asked about her in the Axis bio thread and nobody responsed.
Maybe this web site is for more advance historians, but heck I will post her name again to see if there is any info on :( this individual.

quadriff

Jane Bernigau, Ravensbrück SS-wardress

Post by quadriff » 23 Feb 2009, 23:39

whatever happened to ravensbruck ss wardress jane bernigau after the war? did she evade punishment, was
she tried for war crimes, did she die, and if so, when. also, photos of the ss woman would be appreciated
also. thanks,

quadriff

Max Williams

Re: SS-Oberaufseherin Marianne Essmann

Post by Max Williams » 24 Feb 2009, 17:25

I'm sorry, but I cannot agree. I tried searching for Marianne Essmann on the web and after a little perseverence I was able to find some information. There's even a chapter about her in a publication. It just takes time and patience.
Max.

David Thompson
Forum Staff

Quadriff needs

Post by David Thompson » 24 Feb 2009, 22:43

I decided to create this thread to consolidate the war crimes and holocaust-related research requests of quadriff, who has posted 49 such requests in the last five days, displacing everyone else's threads in various other sections.
1. Questions

In the research sections of the forum, we ask the posters to be reasonably well-prepared, and not ask others for information which they could easily get for themselves. The purpose of these sections of the forum is to provide a place where historical matters can be intelligently discussed. It is not a research service.

Noncomplying posts are subject to deletion after warning.

If you have a question, please let the readers know what steps you have taken to answer it when you post the inquiry. This will eliminate misunderstandings and give responding posters a better idea of your familiarity with the subject.
H&WC Section Rules
http://forum.axishistory.com/viewtopic.php?t=53962

Helly Angel

Re: Quadriff needs

Post by Helly Angel » 25 Feb 2009, 00:33

Thanks David!! thanks to you and God!

Alex Tijerina

Post by Alex Tijerina » 26 Feb 2009, 03:11

I read the book "The Camp Women" and in it there was a camp chief overseer by the name of Hildegard Newman who was at Ravenbruck and was responsible for the deportation of 40,000 inmates. She fled at the end of the war and was never prosecuted for her crimes. I have two questions.
1. Was there not enough evidence to convict her at trial?
2. What became of her life after the war and is she still alive?

I did the regular google search and only came up with the Wikipedia article and the same was written about her on Nations.

David Thompson
Forum Staff

Post by David Thompson » 26 Feb 2009, 03:43

Alex -- You wrote, of "Hildegard Newman":
I did the regular google search and only came up with the Wikipedia article and the same was written about her on Nations.
If you google her actual name, Hildegard Neumann, you'll get 1,260 hits, though I don't know how helpful they'll be.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&as_q ... afe=images

paolosilv

Post by paolosilv » 15 Dec 2012, 11:34

Hi, I'd like to find some more info. on this Block leader. Best, Paolo

Franziska Hoengesberg (born February 6 1900), the SS guard at two concentration camps during World War II
The majority of women prisoners, however, arrived in 1944 and 1945 from other camps, mainly Auschwitz, Ravensbrück, and Bergen Belsen. Only one barrack was set aside for them; this was overseen by the female block leader (Blockführerin) Franziska Hoengesberg, who fled to Essen ? when it was evacuated.

best. Paolo

Ata2urk

Re: SS Female Camp Women

Post by Ata2urk » 22 Apr 2015, 04:28

Correction: Karoline Geulen's testimony was dated May 25,1948.

jared53402

Post by jared53402 » 14 Apr 2016, 12:17

Bergmann (born Belling, married Koch), Erika-Birthdate: January 3, 1915 Birthplace: Berlin-Neukölln (Germany) SS Entry Location/Date: Ravensbrück, April 15, 1943 Camp Service: Ravensbrück (1943), Genthin (1943-1945) SS Positions: SS-Hilfsaufseherin, SS-Aufseherin Notes: Arrested, interrogated, investigated and tried by an East German court on November 12, 1955 in Neubrandenburg and sentenced to life imprisonment for murder and mistreatment of camp prisoners at Ravensbrück and Genthin. Until May 1991, she was serving her sentence at the women's prison Hoheneck.

Cichon, Florentine/Flora-Birthdate: May 3, 1921 SS Entry Location: Ravensbrück Camp Service: Ravensbrück, Auschwitz-Birkenau, Rajsko, Harmense, Venusberg-Gelenau SS Positions: SS-Hilfsaufseherin, SS-Aufseherin, SS-Kommandoführerin, SS-Erstaufseherin (Venusberg) Notes: Sought by the East Germans; ultimate fate unknown.

Eẞmann, Marianne-Birthdate: September 30, 1921 Birthplace: Cologne (Köln, North Rhine-Westphalia, Germany) SS Entry Location/Date: Ravensbrück, August 1944 Camp Service: Ravensbrück (1944), Rochlitz (1944-1945), Mittweida (1945) SS Positions: SS-Hilfsaufseherin, SS-Aufseherin, SS-Erstaufseherin (Rochlitz) Notes: Tried by an East German court in Chemnitz for war crimes as First Leader of Rochlitz and sentenced to 2 years imprisonment for maltreating camp prisoners on April 12, 1948.

Freinberg[er], Margaret[h]e-Birthdate: June 11, 1919 Birthplace: Grieskirchen (Upper Austria) SS Entry Location/Date: Ravensbrück, September 1944 Camp Service: Ravensbrück (1944), Lenzing (1944-1945) SS Positions: SS-Hilfsaufseherin, SS-Oberaufseherin (Lenzing) Notes: Arrested and tried in Linz on July 14, 1947 for war crimes as Senior Overseer at Lenzing (‘Lenzing trial’); her sentence is not known.

Hasse (born Berger), Elisabeth-Birthdate: September 17, 1925 or January 24, 1917 or December 24, 1917 Birthplace: Görlitz (Saxony, Germany) Camp Service: Ravensbrück, Auschwitz-Birkenau, Budy, Auschwitz-Birkenau SS Positions: SS-Hilfsaufseherin, SS-Aufseherin, SS-Wächterin, SS-Kommandoführerin, SS-Rapportführerin, SS-Arbeitsdienstführerin Notes: Rumored to have been in English internment after the war.

Hörn, Käthe-Camp Service: Ravensbrück, Allendorf (1944-1945) SS Positions: SS-Hilfsaufseherin, SS-Aufseherin, SS-Oberaufseherin (Allendorf) Notes: Arrested by U.S. forces, investigated, interned at Dachau and Ludwigsburg and tried in Darmstadt during 1947 for war crimes at Ravensbrück and as Leader of Allendorf; she was sentenced to seven years in prison for maltreatment of camp prisoners.

Jankowsky, Christel-Birthdate: 1919 Camp Service: Ravensbrück (1943-1945) SS Positions: SS-Hilfsaufseherin, SS-Aufseherin, SS-Scharführerin Notes: Tried by the District Court of Gera in East Germany for crimes against humanity at Ravensbrück on February 23, 1954 or in July 1954- and sentenced to death for the shooting of around sixty prisoners and the maltreatment of others as a female SS Sergeant; in 1955 the sentence was commutted to life in prison with hard labor and she died in HKH Klein-Meusdorf on May 14, 1955.

Rabestein, Gertrud-Birthdate: January 5, 1903 Birthplace: Naumburg (Saxony-Anhalt, Germany) SS Entry Location/Date: Lichtenburg, May 1938 Camp Service: Lichtenburg (1938-1939), Ravensbrück (1939-1941), Naumburg [Prison] (1941-1945) SS Positions: SS-Hilfsaufseherin, SS-Aufseherin, SS-Hundeführerin, SS-Blockführerin, Oberwachmeisterin Notes: Tried by an East German court in Halle (Saale) during 1948 for war crimes as a guard in Ravensbrück and Chief Warder at the Naumburg Prison; Rabestein was sentenced to life imprisonment for murder and mistreatment of female camp prisoners.

Lotte (Lottchen) Ostermann (later married Meyer and became Radtke) was born in Hamburg, Germany on August 8, 1923. In 1943 she left her schooling to be a hairdresser and went to go live with her parents. After the death of her father, her mother remarried. Lotte then got a job at Philips/Valvo Company until she was fired and dismissed for ‘loafing.’ Ostermann claimed after the war that they were threatened with internment in a concentration camp if they refused to work as Aufseherinnen. She first worked at Horneburg, then at Helmstedt-Beendorf, Westfalica during March 1945, and lastly, “The German” accompanied a transport of women prisoners to Hamburg-Eidelstedt. On this transport she battered female prisoners and beat two Polish women so bad that they did not survive the journey. From Eidelstedt, Lotte returned to her parent’s home during May 1945. Ostermann was arrested during early November 1949, and convicted by a British court to three years imprisonment for war crimes; her sentence was reduced to thirteen months during March 1952.

jared53402

Post by jared53402 » 14 Apr 2016, 12:21

Helga Hegel was a name Daniel Goldhagen used to not reveal the identity of Herta Haase.

Haase (born Schmidt; married Breitmann), Herta-Birthdate: May 18, 1918 Birthplace: Chemnitz (Saxony, Germany) SS Entry Location: Ravensbrück Camp Service: Ravensbrück, Helmbrechts (August 26, 1944-April 13, 1945), Zwodau SS Positions: SS-Hilfsaufseherin, SS-Aufseherin, SS-Erstaufseherin (Helmbrechts) Notes: Participated on the Helmbrechts death march, injured during a Allied bombing raid on May 4, 1945 at Bierbrücke and helped by German and U.S. doctors. Interned by U.S. authorities in Bavaria at Dachau and later handed over to German authorities, she escaped from an internment camp during 1947 and was apparently never prosecuted.

jared53402

Post by jared53402 » 14 Apr 2016, 12:39

Bernigau, Jane (Gerda)-Birthdate: October 5, 1908 Birthplace: Sagan (Żagań, Lubusz Voivodeship, Poland) SS Entry Location/Date: Lichtenburg, 1938 Camp Service: Lichtenburg (1938-1939), Ravensbrück (1939-1942), St. Lambrecht (1942-1944), Ravensbrück (1944), Groẞ-Rosen (1944-1945), Reichenau (1945) SS Positions: SS-Hilfsaufseherin, SS-Aufseherin, SS- Oberaufseherin (Groẞ-Rosen) Notes: Interrogated by authorities on January 19, 1976; she was never prosecuted for war crimes.

Geulen, Karoline-Birthdate: April 3, 1922 SS Entry Location: Ravensbrück Camp Service: Ravensbrück, Essen SS Positions: SS-Hilfsaufseherin, SS-Aufseherin, SS-Strafkommando-führerin Notes: Punishment detail leader at Essen-Krupp. Detained after the war at Ludwigsburg internment camp for 6 months and never prosecuted; subsequently called as a defense witness for Werner Lehmann in the so-called Krupp Case (Affidavit of April 14, 1948 and testimony on May 25,1948) and testimony before the commission on June 3, 1948.

Höngesberg (born Aatforst/Autforst), Franziska-Birthdate: February 6, 1900 Birthplace: Essen (North Rhine-Westphalia, Germany) SS Entry Location: Ravensbrück Camp Service: Ravensbrück, Essen-Krupp SS Positions: SS-Hilfsaufseherin, SS-Aufseherin, SS-Blockführerin Notes: Fate unknown.

Egor

Post by Egor » 25 Mar 2017, 20:43

Just some remarks:
Elisabeth Hasse was not in British internment after the war. She was arrested by the Soviets on November 15, 1945. She was tried and sentenced to death by shooting by the Soviet Military Tribunal of the Federal Land of Saxony on September 10, 1945. Executed on October 3, 1946

Return to “Holocaust & 20th Century War Crimes”